NA and the Dual-Wheels

eric21

Re: NA and the Dual-Wheels

Post by eric21 »

chedly_farms wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:29 pm I thought I watched a video once from George Saunders where he explained he could get fined for running Duals on roads in the UK. Can anyone explain more on that?
You can get duels and its not illegal, unless you have the right paperwork that allows you to hav duels, then yes its illegal

https://www.stocks-ag.co.uk/wheels-tyres/dual-wheels/
raran

Post by raran »

Apart from rules and regulations it's not even practical for most places in Europe. Not so much the farming side but the roads are just not built for it. Even a standard Fendt 1000 requires the driver to be very carefull to not destroy the curbs while trying to take as less of the opposite lane as one can.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

raran wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:34 pm Apart from rules and regulations it's not even practical for most places in Europe. Not so much the farming side but the roads are just not built for it. Even a standard Fendt 1000 requires the driver to be very carefull to not destroy the curbs while trying to take as less of the opposite lane as one can.
What do you guys make your curbs out of, CDF? I smash them here moving snow all the time and seldom take a chunk out, haha
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I've driven a tractor here in the UK with dual rear wheels -- an old Ford 7600 -- but it was a long time ago before the rules were tightened up. By and large I went where I needed to and in places I was brushing the banks both sides, but then even without dual back wheels there wasn't much room to pass. However, the duals were only put on for early autumn cultivation and drilling, for the rest of the the tractor was run normally.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
AmericanFarmer23

Post by AmericanFarmer23 »

We use duals on our 9520 for packing and pushing silage purposes. Occasionally cultivating etc. Oh and nothing looks more badass and mean then huge tires! Screw tracks 😂
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

Very interesting, thanks guys for the infos *thumbsup*
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

AmericanFarmer23 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm We use duals on our 9520 for packing and pushing silage purposes.

Coincidence...? :lol:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
AmericanFarmer23

Post by AmericanFarmer23 »

Dairydeere wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:15 pm
AmericanFarmer23 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:59 pm We use duals on our 9520 for packing and pushing silage purposes.

Coincidence...? :lol:
Ours is identical literally lol, light bar and everything!
JuanDiolosa

Post by JuanDiolosa »

Don't see much red down this way in my neck of the woods in Georgia, but duals are a common site. And this company doesn't farm. :)

wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

So, is row crop usage why many of the NA single tire configs are so narrow? Even a standard euro "normal" is much wider than some of the US configs...
Old fat guy with a day job...
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Yes, around here almost every tractor has row crops besides the big 4wd's
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

We don't run a lot of row crops though, on the dairy it's nice to have decent width tires.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

I don't know what these "regulations" are that people are mentioning, but in the UK there are no regulations about driving with dual wheels that I am aware of and nothing is mentioned on the gov.uk website. There are regulations about width, speed limits, total weight and so forth.

It's simply not practical for European country roads and with floatation tyre technology having advanced at such a rapid pace there are few advantages that dual wheels offer when weighed up against the disadvantages when you cannot turn into your own damn field because the road is only 3 metre wide with stupid bramble hedges on either side
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

We leave the duals on this tractor to haul grain so we don't get it stuck in the field
Cmtaylor

Post by Cmtaylor »

Farmercaseih wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm Yes, around here almost every tractor has row crops besides the big 4wd's
Not completely i have a jd 8760 thats setup for the planter a jd 1770 16r 30" it can plant and it has, it also has a 3pt pto a very rare tractor but the hardest thing it has to pull is a 3pt mounted tile plow and it has stalled it before but thats at 6' or 1.8m deep