Agriculture in Ethiopia

Kay_B

Re: Agriculture in Ethiopia

Post by Kay_B »

Depends on the presentation of information and how interesting the video is. Many nature videos show things that are not very pleasant (spiders, centipedes, etc.), but they are still interesting thanks to the right presentation of the material.

On account of the complexity of the installation, I think it is temporary. You improve your skill and then video editing will take you less time.
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello everybody,

first of all, I haven't stopped. But on the contrary. But my video creation consultant has now defined several videos as unsuitable, which is why I was unable to publish them. He always gives me the tips I need to make the videos engaging and interesting. Anyone who still knows my old videos has seen the serious improvement in quality since December.
But now the next video is finally coming. It was with great pleasure that I was able to publish a video about composting. At least the basics.
When it comes to my videos, I always want it not to be too scientific, but rather to be easy to understand applicable for farmers who are often poorly or not at all educated.

That has succeeded once more. At this point I would also like to thank my long-time friend Reinhold Albert, who always openly opposes me with criticism. This direct criticism is essential for my work in the field of videos. He's always backing me up when things don't go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83b3oWb3ilo

Sincerely
Thomas
Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind, wagen wir sie nicht, sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen, sind sie schwierig
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie gerne behalten :rolleyesnew: , oder mir mitteilen, damit ich sie korrigiere!
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello everyone!!!

It was very quiet for a long time because it is very turbulent here in Ethiopia.
A terrorist organization supported by the USA tries to overthrow the democratically elected government. This terrorist organization is practically the government that was brought down with nationwide protests three years ago.
We are sometimes more, sometimes less acutely in danger, but we continue.
There is a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6VJuAp8qs

I will give up the field that I have worked so far at the end of December and will now concentrate on the home garden. I shot the new video from home. It will continue in this style. The reason for the stop on that field is the laziness of the workers. What 3 workers there work full-time is what one worker does part-time in Germany.

It's a shame, but it goes on. At home I have now created two beds with a total of 8 square meters and my wife, who thought absolutely nothing of agriculture, is now amazed at how everything turns green. She clearly enjoys it when I harvest zucchini, tomatoes and lettuce right on my doorstep. Everything fresh. And now she's also taking part in the videos.

I have already received a lot of feedback from different countries, especially from Ethiopians in different countries, who were encouraged by the videos to create their own mini-garden. I am sure that this is a good way to introduce a lot of people to "urban gardening" without great expense.

In the meantime, I'm still legally in the process of getting a larger piece of land through my wife so that I can work on a larger scale myself. Ethiopian workers are only a cost factor, but do not manage to work effectively in order to at least recoup their wage costs.

Greetings from Ethiopia
Your Ethiofarmer
Thomas
Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind, wagen wir sie nicht, sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen, sind sie schwierig
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie gerne behalten :rolleyesnew: , oder mir mitteilen, damit ich sie korrigiere!
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Sounds like you've learnt the same thing every European who has ever gone to Africa has learnt....
Why African's never accomplished much 😂.
On a continent of abundance it is easier to steal from your neighbour than it is to do a hard day's work in the blistering heat.
How we ever managed to make slaves out of them was a truly (terribly evil) accomplishment.
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

You are right.
But I hope, people will change by seeing the results.
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

And here comes the second "tomato video" with basic tips. Note that these types of videos about "urban gardening" are not yet available in Amharic. So we're doing a bit of pioneering work.
I am pleased that I have received very positive feedback from Ethiopia, some of which are sent by email. So we go on producing amharic videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDwR1uiXhMk

Greetings from Ethiopia
Your Ethiofarmer
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello, everyone,

after the situation in Ethiopia had eased again and the terrorists were under control again, there was a small intermezzo. To show the world that Prime Minister Dr. Abiy Ahmed is not a warmonger but the others, he released the leaders of these terrorists. At first he caused a lot of resentment among the people, but slowly people understand the intention behind it.
In some places, only small groups of militias are still fighting because some supporters of the terrorists still believe in the great victory. They dream of regaining power, but nobody here in the country wants it because everyone was happy when this dictatorship was overthrown after 27 years.

But let's leave this political stuff and focus on the work here:

There was a lot of movement. I threw out a worker at the end of December because, firstly, she is hard to beat in terms of her laziness and secondly, she considers herself the best worker. I even paid her an undeserved severance payment. In the end, she still took me to the authorities, claiming that I had a charity and made millions and paid the workers practically nothing. In addition, I would have fired her because I was a misogynist. My wife accompanied me to the authorities and then got involved in this back and forth. The worker then became more and more entangled in contradictions and lost this process after 2 hours.
The head of the aluminum factory, where I had started this project, later told me that it was sort of an Ethiopian tradition that when people were made redundant, they invented all sorts of lies in order to get (unjustified) money.

She still had to sign that she could no longer make any further claims. This closes the case. The big surprise:
My other two workers suddenly work much more effectively than before. When I asked, one of the two said they were also glad that this woman was just a nuisance. She always wanted to play boss, but she never comes on time, always leaves too early and disturbs the others at work.

So the topic is off the table. This month, for the first time, we managed to generate 90% of wages from harvest sales. So far it has only ever been about 20%.

Two new videos are currently being created and the manuscripts for many more videos are ready.

Up soon!

Your Ethiofarmer
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello everyone,

My health has not been very good for the last few weeks, but with God's help I can continue.
Today I was finally able to upload the new video. It was still missing in the tomato series. I kept hearing the question of how to continue breeding as a variety. Because when propagating by seeds, there is always mixing. But there is a way without having to buy new seeds every time.

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/pjezkbHDutQ

Yours
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello, everyone,

there is another video. Mildew is such a problem, but you can get mildew under control. In the video I show it:

https://youtu.be/Orcy8c2SO2Q

More and more people are contacting me via email. In Addis Ababa in particular, I'm getting more and more requests to prepare people's gardens.
With the videos, I really found the right way to raise awareness of nature again in Ethiopia and to awaken interest in agriculture.

In any case, people give me a lot of ideas about which topics I should explain in videos. That encourages me because I see movement coming into it.
About 40% of viewers now watch the videos without subtitles, that is, in Amharic. So I reach my target audience.

In the Easter holidays I will probably prepare a few more videos. A number of topics are on the agenda. So let yourself be surprised!

LG from Ethiopia
Your ethio farmer
Thomas
Wipt1994

Post by Wipt1994 »

Hi Thomas,
I appreciate your decision to help farmers. Because it will encourage many people to focus on the agriculture field. So, I wish you all the best.
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Thank you!
I will try my best.
vifen

Post by vifen »

good work keep going it can be very useful to many people.
ice_boii_1207

Post by ice_boii_1207 »

Ethiofarmer wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:05 pm Hello everybody!

I uploaded the new video early this morning. As I've been planning for so long, it has now become the first Amharic instructional video - with German and English subtitles. I would like to show the Ethiopians ways how to work effectively in agriculture close to nature.
My video revolves around the topic of "Successfully growing potatoes in a bucket". Because here, too, more and more people are considering how to grow vegetables in a small space in the city.

But see for yourself:
If you like the video, give it a thumbs up so I can see if I'm going in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0FFIuUI24

Greetings from Ethiopia
Thomas
*thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup*
Ice_boii :gamer:
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello everyone,

the long silence is over. A lot has changed, both positively and negatively.
On the one hand, I unfortunately had to give up the field because the landowner is building a feed factory and I no longer have any space.
On the other hand, I'm now really concentrating on "urban gardening".
I recorded a short video for this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SiO7cmssu-I?feature=share

I managed to create another nice video. Even my now 2-year-old son was helping.

https://youtu.be/pKW63rCJ2CA

As always, subtitles are available.

Greetings from Ethiopia
Thomas