Agriculture in Ethiopia

Ethiofarmer

Agriculture in Ethiopia

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello all together,

my name is Thomas. I am from Germany and I started two years ago to talk about my agriculture project in Ethiopia. Since my english is not that good, I always feared to talk about my project in english. Many FS players (or gamers) talk about their FS experiances and share what they do in their in-game lifes.
I want to share, what I am doing in my out-game life, what I call the real life. Even so I like FS 17 or 19 very much.

In the german forum I already write about my experiances. From now I will try also to write in english.

Two years ago I have started off a project to help farmers. Since I am not an educated farmer (only a son of a farmer), I can't deal with large-scale project.

Nevertheless I rented a small area 40km out of the capital Addis Ababa. Almost two years I couldn't succeed, because people have stolen my harvest and many other problems.

In march a friend offered me to use some 2000 sqare meters of his field.

Now it's going much better. I am publishing videos on youtube. Starting from now also with english subtitle.

If you are interested to get a closer look, please follow this link to my videos:

https://youtu.be/ewcy_rqZdu4 --> from September

https://youtu.be/0S7YOergVh0 --> from last Wednesday

Sincerely
Thomas
Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind, wagen wir sie nicht, sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen, sind sie schwierig
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie gerne behalten :rolleyesnew: , oder mir mitteilen, damit ich sie korrigiere!
Deadeye

Re: Agriculture in Ethiopia

Post by Deadeye »

Hope all is well with you and your family. It's great to see all aspects of agriculture across the entire world. It takes all of them to help feed the world.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Yes, I am doing very well. Even if there is currently war in Ethiopia. But it is still very quiet around my field. Every now and then there are protests in favor of the incumbent Prime Minister, Dr Abiy Ahmed.

best regards
Thomas
Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind, wagen wir sie nicht, sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen, sind sie schwierig
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie gerne behalten :rolleyesnew: , oder mir mitteilen, damit ich sie korrigiere!
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello all together,

here is the new video with english subtitle:

https://youtu.be/ulPILHwVvwI

We had a setback, but we are nearing a breakthrough.

Yours
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Dear friends,

here is the new video in which I like to show my targets of my agricultural efforts in Ethiopia.
English subtitle is available.

https://youtu.be/gtnEBEy1_tE

Greetings from Ethiopia
Yours
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello all together,

we are doing our best to improve our project in Ethiopia.

That's the new video:

https://youtu.be/EPBqWnpchL8

Greetings from Ethiopia
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

So, a warm "HELLO" from Ethiopia!

The time has come, a new video is online. We are now pressing forward. There are no more halves. Fixed plans!
And there is also a surprise in the video.

https://youtu.be/3d_ASx9eaYw

Subtitle in English is available.

Greetings from Ethiopia
Thomas
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Nice
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello everybody!

I uploaded the new video early this morning. As I've been planning for so long, it has now become the first Amharic instructional video - with German and English subtitles. I would like to show the Ethiopians ways how to work effectively in agriculture close to nature.
My video revolves around the topic of "Successfully growing potatoes in a bucket". Because here, too, more and more people are considering how to grow vegetables in a small space in the city.

But see for yourself:
If you like the video, give it a thumbs up so I can see if I'm going in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON0FFIuUI24

Greetings from Ethiopia
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

A warm hello from Ethiopia!

Today I would like to give you a little glimpse behind the scenes.

The work in the field is going amazingly well. I have been selling lavender seedlings since March 1st, which are extremely expensive here. It's going so well that I'll be in the black for the first time at the end of the month. That gives me the financial leeway to make some new acquisitions in the field.
A small canopy for the production of cuttings is planned. I still have to organize the materials.
This week we are preparing the move. The new apartment was painted the day before yesterday and the doors will come in on Monday (bedroom doors).
So far I have lived with my wife in a small room (11 square meters). The new apartment has 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, shower + toilet. And really at a friendship price.
As you can see on the "potato video", the lighting is not good when I am standing at the whiteboard.
I have better options in my new apartment. I'm really looking forward to it.
The video analysis shows me that there is an increased interest in Ethiopia.
The potato video was watched over 40% without subtitles. That said, over 40% saw the video in Amharic.
13% watched with English subtitles
almost 47% with German subtitles.

So it's definitely going in the right direction. A video about tomatoes in the pot is coming soon. Also in Amharic with German and English subtitles.
By the way, you can also overwinter tomatoes in pots in your home in Europe. More about this in the video.
Invisible to you there are many people in Ethiopia who contact me via email. Lots of encouraging words and questions.
At the German Embassy School I only work 4 days a week so that I have more time in the field. Maybe it will work out after the summer holidays that I only have to work there 3 days a week. I would like that because I would much rather work in the field.

One more request: If you watch the videos, please leave a comment. When people see me responding to comments, people see that the video channel is active and that I am open to questions.

Good, so far from here again. There will be a new video next week.

best regards
Your Ethiofarmer
Thomas
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello everybody!

Just a short piece of information, good news:
We now have 100 subscribers on our Youtube channel "TOME Ethiopia". This shows that more and more people are becoming aware of our project.
The Easter holidays start at the end of this week and I have 3 weeks for new videos and work in the fields.

At this point I would like to ask an important question in the room:
I have now planned to publish many short instructional videos in Amharic (with German and English subtitles) and only occasionally to publish videos in German (with Amharic and English subtitles) about the course and planning of the project.

What do you think about that? Would the system be that good?
Should I make the videos about the course of the project in English with Amharic and German subtitles? Is it a hassle to read subtitles? Should I speak the videos synchronized in 3 languages ​​instead of inserting subtitles?

Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

LG
Your Ethiofarmer
Thomas
jolinemelina

Post by jolinemelina »

There's need to post those videos.They could be very helpful to many out there.The language only will have an issue
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Hello everybody,

so, now there is the new video:

"Our co-workers: worms"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUsd3X5pQM
Subtitles available in German and English.

LG from Ethiopia
Your Ethiofarmer
Thomas

P.S: It should have had some rain for 3 weeks, unfortunately the sun is still shining. The groundwater is slowly becoming scarce.
Kay_B

Post by Kay_B »

Great videos! You are well done, since you decided to master agriculture and share your observations and skills. I subscribed to your channel!
Ethiofarmer

Post by Ethiofarmer »

Thank you!
I hope I can continue to record videos. But going it alone is always a challenge. Recording is one thing, video editing is another.
Just for this video with the worms, I was busy 9 hours so that I can cut my video material from over an hour to under 10 minutes. Who watches a worm video that lasts longer than 10 minutes?
The shorter a video, the more likely people are to watch it spontaneously.

best regards
Thomas