Low noise gaming laptop?

RODHA

Low noise gaming laptop?

Post by RODHA »

I'm considering of buying a gaming PC. Not a crazy thing because I don't play too many games. In fact FS is the only game I play at the moment and I want to add only ETS2 to my huge library. A desktop PC is not an option for me. So I need a laptop. But cooling noise is a big issue for me. I need a silent laptop if that is even possible. I wonder if you can give me some advise on a gaming laptop that can run FS19 and ETS2 on the highest settings but not crank up its fans like a vacuum cleaner? Thanks a lot in advance :hi:

Edit don_apple: topic moved from "General discussion" to "Off-topic", since it is not directly related to the game.
PS5 / FS22
Guil

Re: Low noise gaming laptop?

Post by Guil »

What about a sff case? Could get them nearly as small as a console
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

No it is not the size. It is actually my health issues. I have multiple hernias which keep me from carrying heavy objects. And good hardware on a desktop gaming pc usually is heavy due to heatsinks, solid metal cases etc. That was also one of the limiting reasons for me to stick with the consoles. But if I can find a gaming laptop that runs relatively silent I think it is time for me to switch to PC.
PS5 / FS22
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

Any decent gaming laptop will have a fan control option. So you can make it as loud or silent as you want.

Both mine and my wife's laptop have this option one is an acer helios, the other an Asus rog.

Btw I play both FS and ets on it works nicely.
Happly farming in Fryslan.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^ Thanks for the advise mate. Can you run both games with the fans dialed down to an acceptable level?
PS5 / FS22
Guil

Post by Guil »

I suppose you could pick one and look for reviews on fan noise etc?
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^ I have tried that but one, there are too many options to check them all out and two for some reason people seem to be quite subjective when it comes to fan noise. Something quite ok for some is very disturbing for others. :mrgreen:
PS5 / FS22
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

RODHA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:54 am ^^ Thanks for the advise mate. Can you run both games with the fans dialed down to an acceptable level?
I have it pretty much always on balanced mode but I can run ets on silent easily. FS not so much because I have the graphics dialed up as far as possible because I like it that way. (if I changed that I'm sure I could run it silent)

A new laptop won't have that problem as much probably as long as you get one with a dedicated graphics chip. (keep in mind mine is 3 years old now)

Only tip I can give you is don't get an Msi laptop... Those are loud (and mine died way to quick but dunno if that's a common thing)
On an Asus RoG laptop.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^ Thanks for the MSI tip. They seem to be one of the best but may be not so much. I'm trying to stick with the newer models using liquid metal instead of conventional thermal pastes. It is supposed to help with the thermals hence, preventing the cooling systems go crazy. But thanks to current GPU shortage it is hard to find laptop models that use liquid metal.
PS5 / FS22
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

Ow cool... That's a new tech to me.
And yes MSI laptops are (supposed to be) very good but I have had terrible experience with them so no MSI for me again.

Alien ware is very good aswell but too expensive for my liking.
I usually buy a new laptop every 5 to 8 years. Too keep up with the times or just because it died on me (granted I did the same with my desktops)
On an Asus RoG laptop.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

5 to 8 years is quite similar for me too. Even though my current one is in it's 11th year now :mrgreen:
Alienware is good but Asus's new line seems to be quite tempting too.
PS5 / FS22
anthu

Post by anthu »

I am owner of this laptop
https://www.one.de/one-gaming-notebook- ... 0df1-24614
since december.
Playing FS19 with the silent fan mode and 1920x1080, max details, ..
Absolute minimal noise, my wife watch tv beside me. And the barebone is warm but not hot.
Only over the motorsound she isnt lucky.
When i am alone, i turn the systems on average mode, and the volume louder - and then i hear the fan a little bit but the barebone keeps cool.
I think the max-q makes the different.
Lg
Andreas
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

RODHA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 am 5 to 8 years is quite similar for me too. Even though my current one is in it's 11th year now :mrgreen:
Ow don't get me wrong if the laptop is still doing fine after 8 years I'll run it into the ground before getting a new one :mrgreen:

One other thing I can recommend is a lap desk or cooling pad. Easier on your lap since it's padded and will help getting rid of the heat been using one for over 15 years now (the fans stopped working lol)

Also why is this thread moved to off topic?
On an Asus RoG laptop.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

My standard computer response: Visit the Linus Tech Tips forum, and scroll through their YouTube Channel.
Maybe visit PC Part Picker and build out a SFF machine and then go through the component specs to find the weight.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

anthu wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 am
I am owner of this laptop
https://www.one.de/one-gaming-notebook- ... 0df1-24614
since december.
Playing FS19 with the silent fan mode and 1920x1080, max details, ..
Absolute minimal noise, my wife watch tv beside me. And the barebone is warm but not hot.
Only over the motorsound she isnt lucky.
When i am alone, i turn the systems on average mode, and the volume louder - and then i hear the fan a little bit but the barebone keeps cool.
I think the max-q makes the different.
Lg
Andreas
Unfortunately I don't have access to these laptops in my country. I guess they are not imported.

duncan_101 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 pm
RODHA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 am 5 to 8 years is quite similar for me too. Even though my current one is in it's 11th year now :mrgreen:
Ow don't get me wrong if the laptop is still doing fine after 8 years I'll run it into the ground before getting a new one :mrgreen:
One other thing I can recommend is a lap desk or cooling pad. Easier on your lap since it's padded and will help getting rid of the heat been using one for over 15 years now (the fans stopped working lol)

Also why is this thread moved to off topic?
Heat is not an issue for me because I use my laptops just like a normal desktop, connected to a monitor and keyboard/mouse at a distance. Plus I always use a laptop cooler underneath. As long as I can lower the fan noise, every solution is justified for me :mrgreen:

Btw, they moved because probably they don't think a gaming laptop to run FS19 is relevant to the game. How could it be right? :lol:
PS5 / FS22