Stop using John Deere- I Did...

Deadeye

Re: Stop using John Deere- I Did...

Post by Deadeye »

I guess my point is, I would hope that EVENTUALLY that newer stuff will become easier to work on as the technology becomes more widely available. Many of history's greatest innovations/improvements came by force. These electronics in trucks, cars, and equipment, is still a fairly new thing.

Make no mistake, I prefer the older stuff for its simplicity, too. I'd love to be able to run a bunch of equipment from the late 90's and early 2000's my entire career. In my opinion, those were the best years for equipment. A mechanic, rather than an electrician, could still work on them, yet they still had a lot of the creature-comforts. The trouble is, that's just not the reality. It's quite likely a lot of that equipment just won't be serviceable at some point in my lifetime, at which point, there'll be no choice but to run this newer, electronics stuff. For that reason, I don't just believe, but hope and pray, that this newer equipment will only become more efficient and serviceable with time. One of the beauties of capitalism is that it creates competition, which fuels improvement.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

And the one pain of older stuff is, as simple as they are to fix, they need fixed usually when you buy them.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Deadeye wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:29 am I guess my point is, I would hope that EVENTUALLY that newer stuff will become easier to work on as the technology becomes more widely available. Many of history's greatest innovations/improvements came by force. These electronics in trucks, cars, and equipment, is still a fairly new thing.

Make no mistake, I prefer the older stuff for its simplicity, too. I'd love to be able to run a bunch of equipment from the late 90's and early 2000's my entire career. In my opinion, those were the best years for equipment. A mechanic, rather than an electrician, could still work on them, yet they still had a lot of the creature-comforts. The trouble is, that's just not the reality. It's quite likely a lot of that equipment just won't be serviceable at some point in my lifetime, at which point, there'll be no choice but to run this newer, electronics stuff. For that reason, I don't just believe, but hope and pray, that this newer equipment will only become more efficient and serviceable with time. One of the beauties of capitalism is that it creates competition, which fuels improvement.
Kinda goes full circle though with all these lawsuits with Deere, if they win or lose it’s going to open up a floodgate one way or another
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

DEERE317 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:40 am And the one pain of older stuff is, as simple as they are to fix, they need fixed usually when you buy them.
One of the nicest things about the newer stuff, on the other hand, is how they run on such low rpms usually. I love our one old R-model Mack we still have. It's an RD, so it's right around the late 90's or early 2000's. They're actually my favorite trucks ever made. I also love our pre-emissions Mack Granites. That said, it's also really nice to get into a 2018 Granite and cruise 55 mile an hour at 1500-1700 rpms as opposed to the 1800-2100+ or so of most of our older trucks. You go from barely hearing yourself think at times, to being able to darn near have a conversation at little more than a whisper. I actually look at our newer Granites as an example of the progress in these electronics systems in our equipment. They aren't without their issues, and mechanics around the world are still getting used to them. Sure, DEF is also a pain in the neck. They're still really, really exceptional trucks though, even with all of that. In general, our shop works on these newer Granites less than the older trucks. Of course, some of that is without a doubt just a matter of having less wear on them. The true test of their durability will come a few years down the road, when these brand-new trucks have been rode hard and put away wet for a few years. Right now though, I'm liking what I see.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Time will ultimately tell us on the durability of all of this technology. And much it as annoying as it maybe is important to this world, emissions may be pains but I don’t think anyone wants air pollution in the levels of Asian cities, or on the smaller level, being able to run indoors some without being smoked out is nice.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

They will still fill the area with exhaust gases, just it might happen slower. Older stuff doesn't smoke much once it is warmed up and running right.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Yes slower, but while starting or working with pallets or what have indoors the slower fume build up is an advantage. And old stuff usually doesn’t smoke when warmed up but that do have more exhaust fumes and junk, granted I’m sure someone would be a little less thrilled by the benefit whenever they’re replacing a DPF whenever it fails.