Are greenhouses really that good?

TopSoil

Re: Are greenhouses really that good?

Post by TopSoil »

I really like my greenhouses. And they actually are a solid investment, providing as much return as cows and roughy 2.5 times as well in % basis compared to solar/wind/bees.

I like how they are a great natural outlet for solid manure, rather than selling it. So I fertlise all my fields with slurry from cows and digestate from the BGA, and use the solid manure in the greenhouses. Now that I'm over 100 cows, I found that rather than struggling for manure, I had to put more of them down to keep consuming all of it.

Stevie also was kind enough to release all of his greenhouse mods on his facebook page. He was reluctant because in '15 someone stole them. But I now have the standard game lettuce and tomato ones, plus stevie's mods for red cabbage, pumpkin, and watermelon, and another mod for rope making plants.

Been a neat project to find a flat enough area, clear the land with my chainsaw and front loader / chipper, etc. Once a day I put 20k manure into a tipper and haul it over there, and refill the bins.

One of the things I really enjoy with Farming Sim is that there are so many things to do. I suppose kind of like real life ... there are a LOT of ways, and things, to 'farm'
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

I have only 4 greenhouses and that because else i find it too much work to load them with some type loader bucket.

I tried (mod) Auger wagons and conveyor belts but they fail loading manure in the Auger wagons and in the bins from a conveyor and heap on the ground. So there doesn't seem to be an "easy" way of filling those greenhouse bins.

I really hoped i could use (mod) Auger wagons for that. Or like the animal feeding create a large heap on the ground and have conveyors fill automaticly from there.
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

helps fill the void during downtime and provides a better income than selling the manure, but keep them near the manure source. Cows produce more manure than those hogs.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
erict43

Post by erict43 »

I also like greenhouses, and enjoy tending to them. On Sosnovka, I planted grass on the field in front of the cows and filled it with greenhouses. I used a telehandler with bucket for handling the manure.
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

erict43 wrote:I also like greenhouses, and enjoy tending to them. On Sosnovka, I planted grass on the field in front of the cows and filled it with greenhouses. I used a telehandler with bucket for handling the manure.
I did exactly the same....seemed like the best place for them, between the manure and the pond.... I think i had 14 there by the time i shut down FS15

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

I wish they would add tipper support for the manure at the greenhouses. It would make it a bit easier to locate them further away. I know I can unload anywhere, but I'd rather fill a large trailer and then just tip into the bins as needed, like we do with the water.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
farmer361

Post by farmer361 »

thumbwiz wrote:I wish they would add tipper support
That and conveyor support. I had a crazy idea of setting up an series of conveyors to keep the manure bins full on quite a few green houses but when I tried the theory the conveyor would not dump in he bin.
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

thumbwiz wrote:I wish they would add tipper support for the manure at the greenhouses. It would make it a bit easier to locate them further away. I know I can unload anywhere, but I'd rather fill a large trailer and then just tip into the bins as needed, like we do with the water.
I am still hoping we will get larger greenhouses ...where this will be possible... Image

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
Barons

Post by Barons »

I love greenhouses. They totally take a layer of stress out of the game when you don't have to worry about going full tilt to keep your money flowing in. You can actually take time to enjoy the game. Even more so with this greenhouse

http://www.fsmods17.com/greenhouse-hemp-fs17/

=D
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Well speaking of what we'd like about greenhouses, I would like some convenient way to see their water and manure fill level. The only way to see this is to drive close to them, but not with just any vehicle! Only with a vehicle with the theoretical capability to refill it. For example with a telehandler with a bucket. Not wiht the bale fork, it doesn't show, it must have the bucket.
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

masterplan wrote:Well speaking of what we'd like about greenhouses, I would like some convenient way to see their water and manure fill level. The only way to see this is to drive close to them, but not with just any vehicle! Only with a vehicle with the theoretical capability to refill it. For example with a telehandler with a bucket. Not wiht the bale fork, it doesn't show, it must have the bucket.
I have 6 greenhouses near the cows. My original pickup is parked next to one of them so I can tab to it and see the levels no problem. Since I keep them all topped up the same, I only have to look at one. I don't think the vehicle matters, I think its how close you are as it seems to have a very small unloading area.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

thumbwiz wrote:
masterplan wrote:Well speaking of what we'd like about greenhouses, I would like some convenient way to see their water and manure fill level. The only way to see this is to drive close to them, but not with just any vehicle! Only with a vehicle with the theoretical capability to refill it. For example with a telehandler with a bucket. Not wiht the bale fork, it doesn't show, it must have the bucket.
I have 6 greenhouses near the cows. My original pickup is parked next to one of them so I can tab to it and see the levels no problem. Since I keep them all topped up the same, I only have to look at one. I don't think the vehicle matters, I think its how close you are as it seems to have a very small unloading area.
It might very well be console-PC difference or it can be related to the 1.3.1 patch consoles still don't have. For me it really works as described above.
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

masterplan wrote:
thumbwiz wrote:
It might very well be console-PC difference or it can be related to the 1.3.1 patch consoles still don't have. For me it really works as described above.
For the record, I play on Xbox One. When I park my pickup at the greenhouse I make sure the cab is next to the water tank.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Leonara

Post by Leonara »

There doesn't seem to be a tip trigger for the manure when you use a little trailer in game trailer, I thinks its called Brantner. I have to fill the manure with a tractor shovel. I also noticed that the only time I see the fill levels is when I pull up with a water trailer. For water there is a tipping trigger, for some odd reason there doe'sn't seem to be one for manure.
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

leonara@videotron.ca wrote:There doesn't seem to be a tip trigger for the manure when you use a little trailer in game trailer, I thinks its called Brantner. I have to fill the manure with a tractor shovel. I also noticed that the only time I see the fill levels is when I pull up with a water trailer. For water there is a tipping trigger, for some odd reason there doe'sn't seem to be one for manure.
that is the way it has always been... not that it is right... but i have always had to fill with a front end loader...

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2