loading logs onto train

clw2147

loading logs onto train

Post by clw2147 »

whats the easiest way to load logs onto the train from a trailer? i've been trying this for a while now and am having trouble with it. any tips would be appreciated.
TopSoil

Re: loading logs onto train

Post by TopSoil »

I have not tried this, but from what I can tell using the UAL script trailer - this could work very well. The mod trailer unloads the logs 1 by 1 about 2-3 meters to the left or right, so you could drive up next to the train and do that and it should load ok.

That said, I personally think the log part of the train is superfluous and wasteful if you already have the logs in a trailer - it's much much much faster to just drive up to the sawmill and dump 'em in the water for $$ that it is to mess around loading the train and then using the crane to unload them again.
clw2147

Post by clw2147 »

TopSoil wrote:I have not tried this, but from what I can tell using the UAL script trailer - this could work very well. The mod trailer unloads the logs 1 by 1 about 2-3 meters to the left or right, so you could drive up next to the train and do that and it should load ok.

That said, I personally think the log part of the train is superfluous and wasteful if you already have the logs in a trailer - it's much much much faster to just drive up to the sawmill and dump 'em in the water for $$ that it is to mess around loading the train and then using the crane to unload them again.
generally speaking, i agree. the train is a waste of time for moving most things. how ever, i'm currently logging on the complete opposite side of the map. what i'm trying to do is have the train parked as close to where i'm logging as i can, load my trailer, take my trailer over to the train and transfer the logs onto the train. from the size of the log car on the train, i should be able to put 2 or 3 trailer fulls onto the train. then take the first train to the trade hub, transfer from 1 train to the next, then take that train to the log sell point. and while just dumping them is faster, i'm trying for a bit of realism. also, if i remember from FS15 you got less money when dumping them in the water. not sure if its the same here
Murph

Post by Murph »

I've just started with logging on FS17. I decided to start on the hilltop between the pigs and home in GCV, using the Ponsse Scorpion. Initially, I tried loading 5m logs onto the Ponsse Buffalo (5m is the correct size for it, and lets you get 2 stacks per train car), cross-loading onto the train at the station near the pigs. Overall, it was a quite frustrating and tedious way of doing things, largely due to the physics implementation of the log grapples (both on the Buffalo's crane and the crane at the train hub). Cross-loading between the two trains at the transport hub was more or less ok, but even there the grapples don't firmly grab the logs and there's an obvious lack of friction making it harder than it should be. Unloading from the train at the sawmill was the only bit where I didn't have much irritation, because there's no need for precision there.

A major problem is the lack of friction between logs and between the grapple and logs, no real force in the grip of the Buffalo's grapple. The grapple more or less works ok for a single log, but even that needs some improved physics. The Ponsse Buffalo should be able to lift several logs at once, but it's extremely difficult to get it to actually grab multiple logs and when you do manage it they behave like greased pigs. Cross-loading onto the train from the Buffalo is just too frustrating and tedious, putting far too many hours onto an expensive machine due to essentially being forced to deal with only single logs. I also tried both the JCB tele handler and wheel loader with log forks, but both of those proved to be entirely useless for cross-loading logs between Buffalo and train.

I did stick with it a while, to be certain that it was not a learning curve thing, eventually getting 4 Buffalo loads into the train car. I concluded that the train is just not worth the hassle, and better to just load directly onto the semi-trailer at the logging site and drive direct to the sawmill by road.

The biggest physics-fail of the whole session was somehow managing to fire a top section of a tree from the pig farm all the way to the main highway.
Mac user
clw2147

Post by clw2147 »

what i wish i could find is a mod that lets you place additional cranes along the train tracks. then i could just use that to unload the semi trailer direct onto the train
TopSoil

Post by TopSoil »

clw2147 wrote: also, if i remember from FS15 you got less money when dumping them in the water. not sure if its the same here
I wondered the same, and tested it this weekend. Had a trailer full of logs of all shapes and sizes, saved the game, unloaded them onto the sawmill log sale point (UAL script, 10 seconds, win!) - then reloaded the game and backed the load into the water. Precisely the same amount of money.

Understand your push for realism. Up to you mate - Play Your Way :)