Can someone explain this to me, I have zero knowledge about this sort of stuff.

Bradleyson

Can someone explain this to me, I have zero knowledge about this sort of stuff.

Post by Bradleyson »

Why is it gta can have lights (beacons on emergency vehicles) reflecting off of the floor/surroundings and not farming sim? Not a dig at the game because I love it, it's actually a genuine question :lol: I'm talking about consoles here, why does farming sim struggle with certain things when a game like gta which has a huge map with loads of detail doesn't... Help me because it's driving me mad and because I have no clue about this kinda of thing I don't know what to look for on Google.. Sorry I'm thick :lol:
Xbox one: bradleyson666
Any questions, ask away.
be polite and respectful.
mackintosh

Re: Can someone explain this to me, I have zero knowledge about this sort of stuff.

Post by mackintosh »

Money. R* have bazillions of dollars to throw at top programmers to design, debug and troubleshoot their game engine. GIANTS do not. You get what you pay for.
Bradleyson

Re: Can someone explain this to me, I have zero knowledge about this sort of stuff.

Post by Bradleyson »

They obviously have the money, it's reflects on pc version so why not console?
Any questions, ask away.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

I was thinking the same thing to bradley, we know consoles can handle it...
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

BigC92 wrote:I was thinking the same thing to bradley, we know consoles can handle it...
I just find it crazy that the game is holding back from what it's actually capable of.. Like you say, consoles can handle it so why don't they reflect off of things? Pay more for the game on console and get a stripped down version. I'm waiting for someone to tell me we can't have it because it's a script :lol: strange if you ask me.
Any questions, ask away.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Bradleyson wrote:
BigC92 wrote:I was thinking the same thing to bradley, we know consoles can handle it...
I just find it crazy that the game is holding back from what it's actually capable of.. Like you say, consoles can handle it so why don't they reflect off of things? Pay more for the game on console and get a stripped down version. I'm waiting for someone to tell me we can't have it because it's a script :lol: strange if you ask me.
Exactly, this isnt Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, this is the new age, keep up with the pace.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Different game engine
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

eric21 wrote:Different game engine
Computer people get it, so why dont console get it?
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

It really is about money, time and resources. They simply don't have enough to fully flesh out their engine to run well on consoles and PCs. Not yet. I don't know whether you remember or not, but their Direct3D renderer was an unsupported, buggy mess as recently as FS15. FS15 used OpenGL as its primary PC renderer. FS17 probably still does for consoles.
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

mackintosh wrote:It really is about money, time and resources. They simply don't have enough to fully flesh out their engine to run well on consoles and PCs. Not yet. I don't know whether you remember or not, but their Direct3D renderer was an unsupported, buggy mess as recently as FS15. FS15 used OpenGL as its primary PC renderer. FS17 probably still does for consoles.
So the game engine is what 'runs' the game? Is that right? :confusednew: so basically it's the game engine that struggles and or limits the game to what it can do?
Any questions, ask away.
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

Do pc and console version use the same game engine?
Any questions, ask away.
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

Bradleyson wrote:
mackintosh wrote:It really is about money, time and resources. They simply don't have enough to fully flesh out their engine to run well on consoles and PCs. Not yet. I don't know whether you remember or not, but their Direct3D renderer was an unsupported, buggy mess as recently as FS15. FS15 used OpenGL as its primary PC renderer. FS17 probably still does for consoles.
So the game engine is what 'runs' the game? Is that right? :confusednew: so basically it's the game engine that struggles and or limits the game to what it can do?
Pretty much. The game engine controls things like Physics and Graphics and allows interoperability between platforms by boiling down the game's needs to a common language. You could say it is a universal translator that allows the game to speak one language, and all the hardware that speak different languages to understand it.

That is very much a simplistic explanation, it's a lot more involved of course.
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

Alshain wrote:
Bradleyson wrote:
Pretty much. The game engine controls things like Physics and Graphics and allows interoperability between platforms by boiling down the game's needs to a common language. You could say it is a universal translator that allows the game to speak one language, and all the hardware that speak different languages to understand it.

That is very much a simplistic explanation, it's a lot more involved of course.
Thanks for explaining, kinda makes sense now.
Any questions, ask away.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Along with what everyone's saying about the engine, I believe Farming Simulator has used the same engine for the past few versions of the game. Could be wrong on that one.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
mayoollie

Post by mayoollie »

Yes, everyone wants realistic lighting, procedural controls, deformable terrain, realistic day/night cycles, cropping cycles, hordes of animals governed by a complex AI, 500 different makes and models of machines, but no one is going to want a game that costs £100 and need a 16 core computer to run it.

They have already hit hardware limits with consoles.
Ace of Spades? Star Trek Online? Chivalry? Farm Sim? Supreme Commander? Add me on Steam: modifiedgenes