PC disk vs dl vs steam?

Preble 818

PC disk vs dl vs steam?

Post by Preble 818 »

What are everyone thoughts on the advantages of each version for pc with regards to ease of use, availability of updates as far as release time, and ability to mod or make changes easily? Looking at about a month and a half out till I get FS on PC so just sorting options here. I have 13 and 15 on steam and that seemed to go ok but I'm not sure I want to log into steam anymore just to do some farming.
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
aklein

Re: PC disk vs dl vs steam?

Post by aklein »

FS17 was the first game I got on steam so I haven't used it for a lot of things. Its fine on steam. I know the DLC was delayed in being released for those that purchased it via steam as compared to when it could be downloaded from the giants site. I like the concept of steam in that once you activate the game in steam they keep knowledge of what you own and you dont need to worry about keeping software around when you change computers or reload your system.

I like that you can install the game on multiple systems easily enough with steam and I learned a few weeks ago that you can stream the game from one computer to another via steam when both systems are on your home network. This works reasonably well with FS17 with only occasional lag issues. I end up streaming the game alot of the time so I can use my laptop to interface with the game running on my more powerful gaming system.

I purchased the DLC from giants website so now I have to manage that download and activation key separate of steam. It installed fine on my steam version of the game and I have no issue adding mods or maps to the steam version as it seems to put all of those bits in the same folder as if the game was installed via a different method in your %userprofile%\My Games\Farming Simulator 17\mods folder.
Preble 818

Re: PC disk vs dl vs steam?

Post by Preble 818 »

Good to know that DLC purchased from giants will install for the steam version. I wasn't sure if you needed to purchase that through steam or not. I can attest to the niceties of always having your games on steam. I have a lot of games purchased through steam that would probably be lost or otherwise unusable if not for that. I do wonder what happens the day steam says their going under. Gonna be a lot of sorrow around the world.
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.