Wanted Mods

Baggus

Re: Wanted Mods

Post by Baggus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Faelandaea wrote:Farming Simulator is based on XML code, and as such supported mods are XML based. However some creative souls have started using PHP to use call functions OUTSIDE the normal game environment to perform tasks that the game engine itself is simply not designed to handle. Those scripts are the risky ones. The XML ones use only base game code and as such are supported by Sony and Microsoft to be legit for this game. However, outside scripting, which does things OUTSIDE the game engine's parameters, are not allowed. I have to get to work, but I'll try to do a more detailed explanation on this when i get back home. And, trust me, your confusion is normal. Scripting can be a VERY confusing topic, even among veteran modders.
Thank you I appreciate it. I'm sure this may help me get to the bottom of several things I really been wondering about.
XBOX ONE
Gamertag: Hairy Mouse

Scripted mods on console!
viewtopic.php?f=895&t=104705

Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Baggus wrote:
Faelandaea wrote:Farming Simulator is based on XML code, and as such supported mods are XML based. However some creative souls have started using PHP to use call functions OUTSIDE the normal game environment to perform tasks that the game engine itself is simply not designed to handle. Those scripts are the risky ones. The XML ones use only base game code and as such are supported by Sony and Microsoft to be legit for this game. However, outside scripting, which does things OUTSIDE the game engine's parameters, are not allowed. I have to get to work, but I'll try to do a more detailed explanation on this when i get back home. And, trust me, your confusion is normal. Scripting can be a VERY confusing topic, even among veteran modders.
Thank you I appreciate it. I'm sure this may help me get to the bottom of several things I really been wondering about.

Annnd ... sudden snowstorm means ... no flying for me today.

Okay so basically, a PHP script can use specific callback functions to call on not only your game, but your computer also in order to perform tasks. With this ability, one can actually create a game on top of the game. Probably the best example of this I can think of in the simulation world is the PMDG series of aircraft for flight simulator. VERY sophisticated stuff. It basically is a standalone simulation of the aircraft, and uses the simulator ONLY for the scenery around the aircraft. The rest is all external. Basically that addon is an independent program that uses flight sim as merely a scenery base to render the final product.

Advanced PHP scripts in the Farming Simulation world are much the same way. Using callbacks, functions, etc, the script is using PC technology to enable an object in the Farming Simulator world to perform actions that are not within the game engine itself. Courseplay, directing your tractor on a specific path, and GPS, holding your tractor in a straight line, are perfect examples of this. As far as I know, compatibility-wise, console hardware is not really capable of acknowledging these specific callbacks because they rely on a lot of specific windows-based resources to function properly.

However, it goes way beyond just functionality and compatibility. PHP scripting can use hidden functions and callbacks to do some pretty crazy stuff. Everything from logging your keystrokes, which can enable the maker to get credit card information, or steal your identity entirely ... to malicious script that can purge files from your system, install malware, and much much more.

XML cannot do any of that. While XML can direct a mod to do basic game stuff, and also reference to scripts externally, such as the PHP scripts used in LUA files, it really isn't doing anything on its own other than telling the game, "Hey, this stuff is here ... use it, please.", in which the game replies by "Sure, I may as well." or "Nope, Can't do that!"

So what are the basic differences in this where we users are concerned? On a PC, I can use software such as an anti-logger to prevent keystroke logging, anti-malware to prevent malware from infecting my machine, and Antivirus to prevent viruses. And, yes, every PC user should have ALL three of these installed or they WILL get hacked or infected at some point. Even WITH this software installed there is no guarantee of protection.

Mods for PC can have some stupidly corrupt scripting, also. It's not malicious, but it's usually just so poorly written that our game's just can't handle the result. Just last night I had to completely reinstall my game from scratch because of a mod that literally trashed my game so badly that I could not load any save game and tab into a vehicle. The moment I press TAB ... crashed game. I was ... well ... less than pleased. However, I am a PC user, and as such it was my soul responsibility for the mess and cannot hold anyone liable.

Consoles are the complete opposite of this. A console user cannot pick and choose security. Console users have to rely on publishers and their platforms to protect them. As such, if the same thing happened to you as what happened to me last night, you could literally be on the phone chewing out some poor customer service rep somewhere demanding a resolution for the trashed software or system. No firewalls, antivirus, anti-malware or other security measures stand between a console user and some of the crazy stuff I have seen uploaded on these mod sites, save one ... the restrictions placed by Sony and Microsoft to keep Giants from letting you trash your game the same way I trashed mine.

So it really comes down to a comparison of what you want as a gamer. Neither PC, nor Console, is better than the other. There is no "master race" stuff. There is no supreme side of either coin. It becomes a matter of personal preference for someone purchasing a platform. So the question becomes, "Do I want to play it safe and have limitations with peace of mind?" or, "Do I want to be able to have it all, but at a greater risk?"

It's actually funny how this question is so much related to almost every other decision we make in life. No matter what the situation, to "have it all" usually comes with some catch or risk involved, whereas "playing it safe" comes with peace of mind, albeit with limitations that can sometimes be frustrating as well. But I know plenty of people that would rather have the frustration of being limited to the frustration of having to reinstall their game, or even their OS, or worse ... have to buy an entirely new PC, because they took the risk.

I hope this helps.
Fae
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.

Baggus

Post by Baggus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:26 pm

Faelandaea wrote:
Baggus wrote:

Annnd ... sudden snowstorm means ... no flying for me today.

Okay so basically, a PHP script can use specific callback functions to call on not only your game, but your computer also in order to perform tasks. With this ability, one can actually create a game on top of the game. Probably the best example of this I can think of in the simulation world is the PMDG series of aircraft for flight simulator. VERY sophisticated stuff. It basically is a standalone simulation of the aircraft, and uses the simulator ONLY for the scenery around the aircraft. The rest is all external. Basically that addon is an independent program that uses flight sim as merely a scenery base to render the final product.

Advanced PHP scripts in the Farming Simulation world are much the same way. Using callbacks, functions, etc, the script is using PC technology to enable an object in the Farming Simulator world to perform actions that are not within the game engine itself. Courseplay, directing your tractor on a specific path, and GPS, holding your tractor in a straight line, are perfect examples of this. As far as I know, compatibility-wise, console hardware is not really capable of acknowledging these specific callbacks because they rely on a lot of specific windows-based resources to function properly.

However, it goes way beyond just functionality and compatibility. PHP scripting can use hidden functions and callbacks to do some pretty crazy stuff. Everything from logging your keystrokes, which can enable the maker to get credit card information, or steal your identity entirely ... to malicious script that can purge files from your system, install malware, and much much more.

XML cannot do any of that. While XML can direct a mod to do basic game stuff, and also reference to scripts externally, such as the PHP scripts used in LUA files, it really isn't doing anything on its own other than telling the game, "Hey, this stuff is here ... use it, please.", in which the game replies by "Sure, I may as well." or "Nope, Can't do that!"

So what are the basic differences in this where we users are concerned? On a PC, I can use software such as an anti-logger to prevent keystroke logging, anti-malware to prevent malware from infecting my machine, and Antivirus to prevent viruses. And, yes, every PC user should have ALL three of these installed or they WILL get hacked or infected at some point. Even WITH this software installed there is no guarantee of protection.

Mods for PC can have some stupidly corrupt scripting, also. It's not malicious, but it's usually just so poorly written that our game's just can't handle the result. Just last night I had to completely reinstall my game from scratch because of a mod that literally trashed my game so badly that I could not load any save game and tab into a vehicle. The moment I press TAB ... crashed game. I was ... well ... less than pleased. However, I am a PC user, and as such it was my soul responsibility for the mess and cannot hold anyone liable.

Consoles are the complete opposite of this. A console user cannot pick and choose security. Console users have to rely on publishers and their platforms to protect them. As such, if the same thing happened to you as what happened to me last night, you could literally be on the phone chewing out some poor customer service rep somewhere demanding a resolution for the trashed software or system. No firewalls, antivirus, anti-malware or other security measures stand between a console user and some of the crazy stuff I have seen uploaded on these mod sites, save one ... the restrictions placed by Sony and Microsoft to keep Giants from letting you trash your game the same way I trashed mine.

So it really comes down to a comparison of what you want as a gamer. Neither PC, nor Console, is better than the other. There is no "master race" stuff. There is no supreme side of either coin. It becomes a matter of personal preference for someone purchasing a platform. So the question becomes, "Do I want to play it safe and have limitations with peace of mind?" or, "Do I want to be able to have it all, but at a greater risk?"

It's actually funny how this question is so much related to almost every other decision we make in life. No matter what the situation, to "have it all" usually comes with some catch or risk involved, whereas "playing it safe" comes with peace of mind, albeit with limitations that can sometimes be frustrating as well. But I know plenty of people that would rather have the frustration of being limited to the frustration of having to reinstall their game, or even their OS, or worse ... have to buy an entirely new PC, because they took the risk.

I hope this helps.
Okay, but using Skyrim as an example... some of the console mods (namely for Xbox) can change the gameplay drastically and also rely on external content not included in the base game. Some scripted mods change the game data to the point where even disabling/deleting the mod does not remove the changes to your save file. There are complete overhauls of certain game systems and custom created AI scripts that some mods run. So what you're saying is that all of the mods are made capable solely through the use of XML as a scripting language, or did Microsoft make an exception for this game?

Also, wouldn't any official mods recieved through the ModHub be tested and checked over for malicious/damaging scripts to make sure they are safe?
XBOX ONE

garyst

Post by garyst » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:12 pm

I would really like to see a seed tender, and a nurse wagon for liquid fertilizer for consoles as I am not too good at loading pallets this would make the game more fun for me. Also some great plains implements.

Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Baggus wrote:
Also, wouldn't any official mods recieved through the ModHub be tested and checked over for malicious/damaging scripts to make sure they are safe?
Absolutely not. I have downloaded plenty of mods from modhub that are just absolutely riddled with errors galore. Blacksheep Modding's cleaning brush, for example, has numerous texture errors that slammed my log until I corrected the issues in Notepad myself. The ONLY thing Giants could care anything about when "testing" is if the mod complies with console agreements such as being script free and not having brand names. Beyond that, Giants does not test for anything else. The mod could be completely broken and Giants wouldn't care as long as the mod doesn't have scripts or non-approved brands.

As for Skyrim, I think that's actually why the rules were made. There are a LOT of reports of Skyrim mods literally trashing people's console systems. I'm pretty sure that Skyrim is actually one of the reasons that Sony and Microsoft are starting to regulate tighter standards on what goes on your console. They can;t back out of their agreement with Skyrim. A contract is a contract is a contract. But for new contracts, such as this agreement for FS17 with Giants, they can learn from those past mistakes to maintain better control of safety for their users.
Fae
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.

Baggus

Post by Baggus » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Faelandaea wrote:As for Skyrim, I think that's actually why the rules were made. There are a LOT of reports of Skyrim mods literally trashing people's console systems. I'm pretty sure that Skyrim is actually one of the reasons that Sony and Microsoft are starting to regulate tighter standards on what goes on your console. They can;t back out of their agreement with Skyrim. A contract is a contract is a contract. But for new contracts, such as this agreement for FS17 with Giants, they can learn from those past mistakes to maintain better control of safety for their users.
I have close to 100 mods for Skyrim and haven't had any issues or know of any problems other people have experienced issues other than problems localized to their games save file, and mostly because they removed mods after their save had become dependent on them. I have had a few CTDs but after I optimized my mod load order they haven't happened. Besides, Skyrim is known to CTD without even having mods loaded. I am not trying to disagree with you or say that what you stated is not possible, it's just that I post actively on the Bethesda forum and have many friends that play Skyrim and haven't heard of a single issue with mods having any effect on the console or firmware itself.

And as far as them changing their stance on mods after the release of Skyrim, what effect would that have on FS17? As Skyrim released on Oct 28th, but FS17 actually released 3 days BEFORE Skyrim on Oct 25th. Also, when the support of mods for console was first talked about Sony was against it then as well. As originally Sony planned to not support ANY mod content for console whatsoever. They eventually loosened up a little bit. Enough to allow the use of mod content, though tightly restricted.
XBOX ONE

Colin_TJ

Post by Colin_TJ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:14 pm

PS4 - required Mod's

I will try to keep it short so. I think that console players need:
- bigger Water transport trailer or water truck
- Man/Tatra modified truck able to take in IT Runner tops/trailers
- one massive map something like snapperbach v2 (i do apology if I did misspell it) with working train line with more carts around whole map and not only half like it was in goldcrest valley (loading and unloading that train was a loss of time)
PlayStation 4 FS19/ PC FS17 :coolnew:
Game Tag: Colin_TJ :hi:

Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:19 am

Baggus wrote:
Faelandaea wrote:As for Skyrim, I think that's actually why the rules were made. There are a LOT of reports of Skyrim mods literally trashing people's console systems. I'm pretty sure that Skyrim is actually one of the reasons that Sony and Microsoft are starting to regulate tighter standards on what goes on your console. They can;t back out of their agreement with Skyrim. A contract is a contract is a contract. But for new contracts, such as this agreement for FS17 with Giants, they can learn from those past mistakes to maintain better control of safety for their users.
I have close to 100 mods for Skyrim and haven't had any issues or know of any problems other people have experienced issues other than problems localized to their games save file, and mostly because they removed mods after their save had become dependent on them. I have had a few CTDs but after I optimized my mod load order they haven't happened. Besides, Skyrim is known to CTD without even having mods loaded. I am not trying to disagree with you or say that what you stated is not possible, it's just that I post actively on the Bethesda forum and have many friends that play Skyrim and haven't heard of a single issue with mods having any effect on the console or firmware itself.

And as far as them changing their stance on mods after the release of Skyrim, what effect would that have on FS17? As Skyrim released on Oct 28th, but FS17 actually released 3 days BEFORE Skyrim on Oct 25th. Also, when the support of mods for console was first talked about Sony was against it then as well. As originally Sony planned to not support ANY mod content for console whatsoever. They eventually loosened up a little bit. Enough to allow the use of mod content, though tightly restricted.
Now I guess I am confused, because the Skyrim I have known of released ages ago ... way before FS17 was even a glint in some creator's eye to start coding. Was there a remake or something?
Fae

Baggus

Post by Baggus » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:58 am

Faelandaea wrote:
Baggus wrote:

Now I guess I am confused, because the Skyrim I have known of released ages ago ... way before FS17 was even a glint in some creator's eye to start coding. Was there a remake or something?
Skyrim originally released on 360, PS3, and PC in 2011, I believe? However the released and updated an remastered version on Oct 28th with updated resolution and a whole new lighting system as well as many minor upgrades on par with other current releases. As well as improved graphics/lighting they introduced mod support for consoles.

The reason why it seem to think GIANTS is not being truthful and saying Microsoft does not allow scripted mods is because almost every mod available for the PC is also available for the Xbox One. Many available for Xbox are not even available for PC as there are almost 1000 more mods available for the Xbox than for PC from their official modhub. For the PS4 selection the mods are very limited though. Most being simple textures.

I even spoke with a Microsoft rep and they told my that their rules for mod support are the same across the board for all games, and they haven't posed any restrictions singling any one game out.

As far as Sony's current policies go PS4 mods are probably the best they will get unless Sony decides to change their Policy. However the Xbox is capable of much more and I believe that GIANTS saying they can't release console scripts because of restrictions is a lie born out of laziness. As it is much easier to deliver mods to 2 different consoles if they only release mods that can run on both.

BTW... check out some of Skyrim's mods for the Xbox One on Bethesda's site in the mod hub for an example of some of the mods and Xbox One is capable of and allowed to run. Definitely seem way more complex than anything available to FS17 from the official selection.
XBOX ONE

Colin_TJ

Post by Colin_TJ » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Ploeger MKC-2TR container mower
New Holland FR9050 en BB960A van OTP Echten
Claas Jaguar 900 Field Shuttle
X6 5250 CTSE
Slurry Injection with Vredo tractor VT5518-3
Claas Xerion 4000 with 8-row potato planter
Krone Big M500 ATTACH
Terra Gator 8103
Krone Big L500 Prototype
T 158-8P5R33.451
Large Water trailer/truck !!!

4Real Module 01 - Crop destruction
4Real Module 02 - Tire Dirt
4Real Module 03 - Ground Response

placeable bunker walls to create storage points for root crops and wood chips or whole nice sized bunkers as objects

vehicle repair at workshop
vehicle breakdown chance after reaching certain working-hours + heavy duty recovery truck
cable to be attached between vehicles to pull them out of ditch or assist with heavy load (can use attach points on front and back of vehicle, no need for accessory just a option on each vehicle as standard)
mud in bad weather on field increasing ground resistance (vehicle getting stuck etc.) :hmm:

RealClock mod showing real time in right top corner, would help to keep a track of time and save some smoke in kitchen from :this:

and one map (which will keep everyone busy for over a year without complaining) STAPPENBACH V2.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqMaBDb6sY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVGTAN-PtqY

And we all won't need anything else. Well maybe Dedicated Sewers on consoles, heck i can even pay rent for one....
PlayStation 4 FS19/ PC FS17 :coolnew:
Game Tag: Colin_TJ :hi: