Can someone define "scripts"

The_Big_JC

Can someone define "scripts"

Post by The_Big_JC »

Like the topic says, since consoles especially PlayStation don't allow them (as Sony won't allow them for fallout as well apparently). What are "scripts" and why are they detrimental to mods not having them?

I'll also make the point of I'm not one that knows about making mods or anything so I'm literally dumb as manure (pun fully intended, even if it is a bad one) as I've only done slight "modding" but for a different game with the help of YouTube
Derping on the PS4
W1der

Re: Can someone define "scripts"

Post by W1der »

A script is also a mod ... however it is not a "vehicle" ... rather a "function" ... like GPS or Drive Control etc ...
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
BullFarmer

Post by BullFarmer »

On a similar note, do scripts exist in a standard game?
Like does FS17 use scripts to run normally?
Playing on PS4 and PC.
I7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX960 2Gb graphics.

Farmer/tractor driver in real life.
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

A script is a piece of program code, written in computer languages, that preforms a function, or task. The game run on a whole slew of scripts, and in combination as a whole work silently in the background to do you bidding. On the PC versions we can enable "console" mode i the game.xml, meaning we can type the "~" key and the console opens in game where you can type various commands that execute when hitting enter. Well your actually inputting the require information to run a script for a particular command.

A very simple sample script that outputs to a screen a text message when calling a function.

function myFunction {
echo"I Love Farm Sim!";
}
Call myFunction
I Love Farm Sim!

A quick edit. When you click "X" on your keyboard (or what ever button on a game pad), and the equipment unfolds, or folds, your running a script. Starting to make sense? We can add scripts to the gameName.lua to add new fruits for example, or the modDescriptin.xml.
BullFarmer

Post by BullFarmer »

Thanks for the explanation!
Playing on PS4 and PC.
I7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX960 2Gb graphics.

Farmer/tractor driver in real life.
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

No problem sir! Glad to be of help, and that's what forums are about.
The_Big_JC

Post by The_Big_JC »

That definitely help. But my next question is: why can't we have them with mods on the PS4 or Xbox other than "Sony/Microsoft said so" because it doesn't seem they'd hurt anything?
Derping on the PS4
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Its possiable to hack...a ps4 that way
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

Scripting, even though it might seem easy to some people, is actually very hard. Pretty simple to overlook a little detail which could cause a huge bug. Depending on the kind of bug, it can also crash the entire console. And that, obviously, is something that Sony and Microsoft don't want. Hence they don't allow script mods to prevent even the possibility that that could happen.

Scripting in the base game is allowed, since that is tested by Microsoft/Sony as part of the submission procedure before you are allowed to release a game at all.
The_Big_JC

Post by The_Big_JC »

So what you're saying is: its more about not having broken/hacked consoles/network? We could say "but that's what modding is about!" But it makes sense that they wanna protect any potential "assets." It's dumb but makes sense. And I guess that's why fallout 4/skyrim remaster are gonna to be similar on the PS4.
Derping on the PS4