Baling vs Collecting with forage wagon.

robsi

Baling vs Collecting with forage wagon.

Post by robsi »

Hi guys,

I am new to FS games but I have to say I love FS17 :)
Have a quick questions if anybody out there knows it already : would I get the same amount of straw from a field nomatter how I 'gether' the straw ? Bales or Collecting it with a forage wagon ?

I know 1 bale is 4000 l but per total am I getting the saem amout off straw just in 'bale' format ? :))

many thanks,
Memran

Re: Baling vs Collecting with forage wagon.

Post by Memran »

Yes you get the same amount. It does not matter how you collect and store it, it does not change the quantity.
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

The beneft of bales is that you can store them more easily, it should not matter if it is loose or bale. Although there seems to be a hay storage buiding now too so that benefit in game has become less obvious i think.

The only off thing i knew was hat a wrapped round silage bale in FS15 counted as 6000 l but only when you sold it. I dont know if that is till true, but dropping silage bales in the bioplant bin i get 5x more the for a hay bale at the barn sell point.
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

When you pick it up with the wagon you can sell it or give it to your animals, but baling it you use that to feed your cows mixed rations and or sell it, so the both have benefits, i use the wagon to refill the cow pen, and whatever i dont use or have enough i sell.
Memran

Post by Memran »

Random thought: Now that we can tip anywhere, you could have a loading wagon full of loose straw/hay/grass, and tip while driving at full speed, thus creating a line which you can pick up easily with your bailer.

Random thought 2: With a bale shredder, you can shred straw bales, and unload while driving, creating a line which you can pick up with your loading wagon.

Random thought 3: Same as above but with the feed mixer, and it works for straw and hay!

Basically, you have a mechanism to convert between bales and loose any time you want. :D
It should be noted that you don't need to create lines. You can dump in a pile, and then carefully drive your baler or loader around the base to pick up.
robsi

Post by robsi »

Thanks guys.
Alexandro

Post by Alexandro »

What about the new hay and straw barn? I have to try it, but it seems that you could get rid of the shredder and the occasionally mess with the bales. There is also a mod that allows you to store grass too in it, but I have to admit that it's not so realistic.
empcris

Post by empcris »

However, now that it is possible to store the straw, hay and grass everywhere, making the bales it is a work, whereas the equipment also have a considerable cost. If at least the bales were paid more, then it would make sense. Moreover, the price of grass and hay are virtually identical, which makes no sense. If there are people who want to store the grass, okay, everyone is playing to have fun, but in reality the grass rot. The problem is not, I repeat, you play for fun, but it does not seem right.
The price of grass 4000l is similar to a hay bale? To make a bale of hay, I had to work harder, which if you tell, work less, so why use tedders and balers?
Translated with Google :)
tecto

Post by tecto »

BigC92 wrote:When you pick it up with the wagon you can sell it or give it to your animals, but baling it you use that to feed your cows mixed rations and or sell it, so the both have benefits, i use the wagon to refill the cow pen, and whatever i dont use or have enough i sell.
For feeding cows you can also collect the straw or hay by loading/forage wagon, then unload it wherever you want.
Then you can use tractor with front loader and shovel and in that way fill the feeding equipment.
There is a lot of fun with bales but if you don't have cash for baling machine etc. you can use it that way. It works the same - no difference.
PsychoFarmer

Post by PsychoFarmer »

At the moment I can't afford a loading wagon to collect straw so I'm using a front loader bucket to collect straw and dump beside the field ... ok it's not very realistic :wink3: .. then when you get a good price for the straw load it into tipper and sell, got to love this tip anywhere :lol:
Console: PS4 FS19 Felsbrunn ... UK
NJDevilsfan0308

Post by NJDevilsfan0308 »

Do you guys know if you can just use regular straw instead of bailing it and putting it into a shredder? Or can I just pile it up and with a telehandler just manual put it into the shredder and just use it to shoot into the pen?
Nostomania

Post by Nostomania »

NJDevilsfan0308 wrote:Do you guys know if you can just use regular straw instead of bailing it and putting it into a shredder? Or can I just pile it up and with a telehandler just manual put it into the shredder and just use it to shoot into the pen?
You can either tip loose straw from a loader / trailer at the load point, or fork bales in directly. No real need for a shredder, other than aesthetics / realism.
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

After cutting wheat or barley, I windrow to put the straw in convenient number of rows, and pick it up with my large forage wagon and sell it off if I don't need straw bales at the cow pins. I usually keep 200 bales of straw in stock, and as mentioned, whenever I'm out picking up straw I always pass by the cow enclosure and top of the straw bedding by backing up to the barn and unloading till it stops, then I sell the rest of the straw. I get, on average, bout $1650 (sometimes more) per load at my hay and straw barn, and many loads per field. This helps cover my harvest expense, or sometimes with a big field of wheat, I actually profit a little. I see no need to leave hay or straw laying around anywhere, there is plenty of it, and that stuff is money people.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

PsychoFarmer wrote:At the moment I can't afford a loading wagon to collect straw so I'm using a front loader bucket to collect straw and dump beside the field ... ok it's not very realistic :wink3: .. then when you get a good price for the straw load it into tipper and sell, got to love this tip anywhere :lol:
You cant afford the first loading wagon?
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

BigC92 wrote:
PsychoFarmer wrote:At the moment I can't afford a loading wagon to collect straw so I'm using a front loader bucket to collect straw and dump beside the field ... ok it's not very realistic :wink3: .. then when you get a good price for the straw load it into tipper and sell, got to love this tip anywhere :lol:
You cant afford the first loading wagon?
Wow, one of the first things I get is a good foraging wagon, there's good money to pay expenses in all that straw falling out the back of that combine. I sell everything at first, and buy just the right tools for the job at hand, and bit by bit, I expand until I'm making some coins. I used a good portion of my nugget money to buy field 5 and 9, then joined them, I get, on average, 180,000 yield per crop. Now that's plowing, radish's, cultivate - plant- fertilize, each time too. First things I buy, forestry trailer with crane, small tractor with front loader to pull it, and a chainsaw. It's a hard way to do it, but if you work your backside off, you get there faster than you think.