[KNOWN ISSUE] Multiple map mods can be loaded at the same time causing unexpected behaviour

Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

[KNOWN ISSUE] Multiple map mods can be loaded at the same time causing unexpected behaviour

Post by Rahkiin »

Hi

Currently, when a player makes a new savegame with map X, the next screen shows a list of installed mods. All mods are selected, including other mod maps.
This causes multiple issues: map mods are not tested to be loaded with other mods active. Our mod (not a map) actually gets problems when 2 maps are loaded.

It would be much better if either:
- Map mods can't be loaded in the mod selection screen, just like the current mod map can't be deselected
- Other map mods are deselected by default.

This issue also exists on multiplayer (DDS) but I think it happens less often.

I do understand that map makers can put vehicles in the map and players might want those loaded but that is just incredibly bad practice and the map maker should just supply a separate mod for it. I don't even know of any map mod that does this. I do know that map makers do not test if their map affects the active map (they don't test for conflicts). Why would they?

(Note that the same issue applies to loading a map mod when making a savegame for GCV or Sosnovka, the vanilla maps)

- PC/Mac/PS4/XB1: All
- Vehicle/Tool/Model/Object: no, maps
- Issue: Multiple map mods can be loaded at the same time
- Single- or Multiplayer: both
- Steps to reproduce:
This is harder because the problems that are caused are not always visible. When loading Coldborough park Farm as map, and then Lossberg as mod (Lossberg adds more fruits), strange things happen tot he g_currentMission.fruits table. (In our case, it is still empty when running inside :update). We discovered this when running our own mod (Seasons) that uses the g_currentMission.fruits.
To 'easily' reproduce, contact me directly and we will give you a copy of Seasons. (Note that without loading a second map mod, Seasons works just fine. It is also not an issue we can actually solve ourselves).
You can also make your own testmod with a single modEventListener and a print in the :update function. With 1 mod loaded, this prints a table. With Lossberg loaded it is empty.

Looking forward to your response.

EDIT: When loading Lossberg even though it is not the actual map, the oat and rye will be in the overlay but not actually exist. This demonstrates the problems caused by allowing multiple maps. Restrict maps to maps only (no vehicles, no placeables) and load only 1. Solves all issues here.
don_apple

Re: Multiple map mods can be loaded at the same time causing unexpected behaviour

Post by don_apple »

For the devs/QA: this is the same issue that I've already reported in the german bug-reports section: viewtopic.php?f=934&t=110706
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Re: Multiple map mods can be loaded at the same time causing unexpected behaviour

Post by Rahkiin »

I should elaborate:
the actual issue might be hard to reproduce on Console as most issues appear when the second loaded map contains scripts (like Lossberg). Console maps of course do not contain scripts.

I added console to the platforms because they have the same mod selection screen.
x Lethian x
Former GIANTS employee

Post by x Lethian x »

Acknowledged - we are looking into this and will try to come up with a solution.

Regards,
Lethian
How to report a BUG | How to post a log file | How to upload images
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE] Multiple map mods can be loaded at the same time causing unexpected behaviour

Post by Rahkiin »

Is there any new information on this issue?