[KNOWN ISSUE] Enabling mod maps on console

burnsdg

[KNOWN ISSUE] Enabling mod maps on console

Post by burnsdg »

I consider this a "bug" in the core game.
Mod maps should NOT be selectable when you are choosing what mods to enable for a multiplayer session. There is absolutely NO REASON to have any mod maps selected when creating a multiplayer session as that just precludes people who might otherwise have all the needed mods for a session from joining if they also don't have maps downloaded that aren't even the map being played.
Giants, it would be a HUGE stride in more cooperative gameplay if you would remove maps from the mods selection. The simple fact is people tend to just "select all" and launch a session, and since we console players are limited in how many maps we can have downloaded before "memory" is full, MANY MANY multiplayer sessions people can't join because for example the session is playing American Outback but the session creator also has Lossberg installed.

Now I know I can message the session host and ask if they would restart without those other mod maps enabled, but how many people want to do that?

While you're at it Giants, it would also go a long ways towards improving cooperative play opportunities if you would warn a session creator when they have a mod enabled that is no longer downloadable from the mod hub (like Minion Weight, Vport, etc.), but that's a whole other topic.
Last edited by burnsdg on Tue May 23, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnDeere318

Re: Enabling mod maps

Post by JohnDeere318 »

This is not a bad idea. I support this +1. I hate it when I have new mods, but have to worry about deselecting the mod maps afterwards.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

The problem with the maps is, that those are loaded which the start of the game, not the savegame, so they remain active in the background anyway, with or without activation in the savegame, thats why you should only have one modmap in the modfolder at a time.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
burnsdg

Post by burnsdg »

juf.de wrote:The problem with the maps is, that those are loaded which the start of the game, not the savegame, so they remain active in the background anyway, with or without activation in the savegame, thats why you should only have one modmap in the modfolder at a time.
I don't know how PC works, but on console we are given a list when creating a multiplayer session, and whatever mod maps you have downloaded get selected if you "select all" on the mods list. This is a problem for consoles because Giants is limited how much "memory" the game is allowed to consume, so we console players have to pick and choose which maps we want to have downloaded as there isn't enough "memory" to have ALL the available mods downloaded PLUS all the maps. So we have to pick and choose which maps we want to have downloaded. I see many many sessions every day that I COULD join because they are playing on a map I have, but they also have enabled maps I don't have, so the game locks me out of joining them even though I have all the other mods that host has.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Ok first of i have to apologise as i didn't read your post well enough to figure out, that you are playing on console.
The basic gamefeature is the same on PC, but thanks to dedicated servers not so prominent. So for Consoleplayers this is indeed a larger problemb but it should be fixed for all plattforms.
The problem i mentioned is only present on PC/Mac, so you can ignore that one.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
x Lethian x
Former GIANTS employee

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE] Enabling mod maps on console

Post by x Lethian x »

Hi burnsdg!

This is something we are keeping in mind for the future.

Regards,
Lethian
How to report a BUG | How to post a log file | How to upload images
burnsdg

Re: [KNOWN ISSUE] Enabling mod maps on console

Post by burnsdg »

x Lethian x wrote:Hi burnsdg!

This is something we are keeping in mind for the future.

Regards,
Lethian
Thank you! It really would go a long way towards encouraging more community and cooperative play, which in turn results in more people wanting to buy the DLC's and next versions of the game.