[WON'T FIX] Modhub contest mod update bug (ingame)

timmiej93

[WON'T FIX] Modhub contest mod update bug (ingame)

Post by timmiej93 »

I noticed that a few mods that I use have been updated, but don't appear as updates ingame. Rather, the updated versions show up as new mods, which I supposedly don't have downloaded. I assume this is down to the fact that they all are contest mods, and thus have a filename like "FS17Contest_", and now have been updated to be simply "FS17_". All fine and dandy, but this means that people would have to edit their vehicle.xml files if they've already bought the equipment, or return the old one and buy the new one, which isn't quite optimal. My suggestion: Just keep the "FS17Contest_" name.
pfreek
GIANTS Software | Technical Projects Coordinator

Re: Modhub contest mod update bug (ingame)

Post by pfreek »

Thanks for your concerns, but no.

These are tested and fixed mods, which aren't contest mods anymore. They decision was made as a team and the problems appearing with that, are acceptable.

Nevertheless, if you are aware of changing code in your savegame files, you won't have a problem. I'm sorry for the common gamers though.
timmiej93

Re: [WON'T FIX] Modhub contest mod update bug (ingame)

Post by timmiej93 »

Wel that's an understandable decision, just a bit unfortunate for those who don't know how to work with it. I might write up a quick tutorial for those people.

As promised, for those who don't know how it works:
viewtopic.php?f=895&t=114814
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

It might be better to not do an FS17Context_ prefix at all.
timmiej93

Post by timmiej93 »

Without making this a discussion about naming conventions, I think it's a good thing. How many times did you download a mod for FS15, advertised as a FS15 mod, finding out it's a FS13 mod? Happened to me a lot. I like the FS17_ prefix. The FS17Contest_ prefix is also very useful, for those who only want to test the contest mods, and don't want to keep them, or only part of them. It's a lot easier to find those mods by that prefix, instead of remembering all names.
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

This wasnt so nice suprice.. with mod contest map you can get your money, vehicles and fields (still lose your planted crops) back, but everything what was stored in the ground(like sugar beets and potatoes), bunkers or trains is lost...
pfreek
GIANTS Software | Technical Projects Coordinator

Post by pfreek »

Rahkiin wrote:It might be better to not do an FS17Context_ prefix at all.
I think this should be the way to go, if we keep the ingame Modhub. *thumbsup*