[READ] FS17 Dedicated Server Mods View Issues

Slivicon

[READ] FS17 Dedicated Server Mods View Issues

Post by Slivicon »

In the dedicated server panel, when using a mod zip file that has "thumbs.db" files inside it, the mods listing web page will show the mod as having issues. However, there are no issues in the game log or on the official mod page. Examples right now are with the mods from the official mods page: Short Flatbed Trailer UAL (version 1) and Placeable refillPoint (version 1).

It is only a cosmetic issue, but a false positive for the dedicated server checking for issues. I guess that either the official mod hub needs to check the zip file for "thumbs.db" or the dedicated server needs to not care anymore about "thumbs.db" files (Windows generated hidden files that accidentally get included in zip file because the modder viewed the files as thumbnails in Windows explorer), or other "unknown files" that aren't technically an issue because they don't affect the mod (such as Readme.md files from mods from github, files without extensions like "LICENSE" for people that bundle a GPL/MIT license with their mods, etc).

Screenshot Image
Last edited by Slivicon on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
don_apple

Re: FS17 Dedicated Server Mods View Issues

Post by don_apple »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with your actual issue but I would recommend to use the Image server provided by Giants to show a screenshot here: viewtopic.php?f=852&t=88819
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
x Lethian x
Former GIANTS employee

Post by x Lethian x »

thumbs.db is a data file that the MAC OS uses to display thumbnails. Try deleting it on a Windows PC and re-uploading it maybe?
How to report a BUG | How to post a log file | How to upload images
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

thumbs.db files have nothing to do with macOS, they are actually created by Windows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache

Therefore trying to delete them on Windows and re-uploading the mods won't help.

Here are some instructions on how the creatin of thumbs.db files can be diabled on Windows which might actually help: https://www.sitepoint.com/switch-off-th ... n-windows/
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
x Lethian x
Former GIANTS employee

Post by x Lethian x »

You learn something new everyday :D
How to report a BUG | How to post a log file | How to upload images
Slivicon

Re: [READ] FS17 Dedicated Server Mods View Issues

Post by Slivicon »

Yes, deleting the thumbs.db files obviously stops the panel reporting that there is an issue. My report is that the thumbs.db file is not actually an "issue", because it does not affect the mod or how the game uses it, yet the panel reports it on the web page as an "issue", the same as an actual "issue" with the mod that would affect the mod. Hope that clarifies. If you don't agree, then that's fine, but then the modhub QA testing process should be checking the mods that are on modhub for the same "issues" as the dedicated server panel and requiring the mod authors to delete the same files that the panel will report as an issue, to prevent this from happening. Requiring the end user server operator to delete the files from the mod zip is not viable because then the modhub will detect a different hash value for the zip and tell the user that the mod needs an update. Hope that clarifies why I'm reporting this.
Slivicon

Re: [READ] FS17 Dedicated Server Mods View Issues

Post by Slivicon »

You can delete the thumbs.db files within the zip files using a windows zip utility like 7-zip. They get created when the files are outside of the zip file and you view the folder with windows explorer using a view such as 'large icons' instead of 'details', which triggers windows to generate the hidden file to store thumbnails for each of the icons it generates to display the folder in that view.

The issue is that these two mods are on the official mod hub, and were uploaded to my dedicated server, and show these issues. This means that the versions of the zip files on the official mod hub have these thumbs.db files inside the zip files, which means the mod author uploaded them that way. So, in my opinion, either the QA process for modhub testing needs to include a step where the mod is uploaded to a test dedicated server and viewed in the dedicated server software web panel to see if there are any "issues", or the dedicated server panel software needs to be modified to not display these types of unknown files within the zip files as "issues" when the QA testing process for the mods on the official mod hub does not consider them to be actual issues that are a problem in the mod.

There are likely other mods on the official mod hub that are like these 2.

If I edit the zip files myself to remove the thumbs.db files so that they no longer show as issues in the dedicated server software web panel, the players will have to modify their copies of the zip files, and then the md5 hashes of the zip files will no longer be the same as the ones on the official mod hub, so when they next go into the in-game mod hub, they will see that those mods appear in the "updates" area prompting them to download the versions of the mod that are on the official mod hub, which will overwrite, and then
no longer match the dedicated server again, and back to square one.

I suppose another option if this doesn't get accepted as something that needs fixing is to report the mods that have this "problem" when people like myself notice them, I guess that would be in the mod hub bug report forum? Then I guess somehow the author gets notified by Giants to consider updating the zip file to correct the issue and uploading it to modhub as an update...

I hope I am making more sense with this explanation.