FS 20: crop life cycle and use of harrowers

tatermaster9000

FS 20: crop life cycle and use of harrowers

Post by tatermaster9000 »

I am completely new to the Faming Simulator series and purchased FS 20 for the Nintendo Switch. I have no farming or agriculture experience and I am trying to understand the crop life cycle.

I assume the order of crop life cycle phases is:

1. Cultivate the soil by running some kind of tiller/harrower/cultivator over it
2. Seed the soil
3. Fertilize the soil with a sprayer
4. Weed the soil as needed while the crops grow
5. Harvest

Is my understanding correct? Am I missing any important steps?

Also I have heard of so-called "harrowers". How are these different than cultivators?

At the beginning of the game, I start with something called an Alpego Jet-M and another thing called a Rabe MKE 300. Both appear to be harrowers. What do I use these for, and how are they different? Thanks for any help here!

Edit don_apple: topic moved from german to english section.
tatermaster9000

Re: FS 20: crop life cycle and use of harrowers

Nobody knows the answers? Gulp! These are pretty basic questions, that makes me nervous!
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

You have the correct order, however you can combine seeding and fert by getting a seeder or planter that can fert at the same time. There aren't any weeds in FS20 unless that's been added since I last played (Giants broke the game for Pixel 4 users).

Disc harrows, cultivators, tillers etc.. all do the same thing within the context of FS20. In the real world they all help prepare the land for seeding in different ways and you'd need to use the one thats appropriate for your soil, climate etc.. But in the context of the game there is no functional difference. Just pick the biggest one you can afford and pull with your tractor.
tatermaster9000

Thanks so much for the awesome answer @Kimpak -- if harrows and tillers are all the same, does that mean that the Alpego Jet-M and Rabe MKE 300 that I started with do the exact same thing? If so, why would the game start me off with (essentially) duplicate pieces of equipment?!?!
jbeg8

Post by jbeg8 »

Rabe MKE 300 is a cultivator so use that first. Alpego Jet-M is a seeder so that can be used after a field is cultivated to sow the seeds.
tatermaster9000

Awesome, thanks @jbeg8!