How to collect the straw from harvested soybeans?

tatermaster9000

How to collect the straw from harvested soybeans?

Post by tatermaster9000 »

I just harvested a soy bean field with my New Holland harvester (with a grain header). Google says it lays down straw behind it, however the New Holland combine harvester just spit out a spray/dust behind it. But unlike with my wheat or barley harvests, the spray dust did not collect in piles and so there's nothing for me to bale up.

Do I need another piece of equipment to somehow collect the straw from the soybeans being harvested?
DEERE317

Re: How to collect the straw from harvested soybeans?

Post by DEERE317 »

No, soybeans don’t make straw.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
tatermaster9000

Oh interesting, so is there anything I can do with what the harvester spits out on its backside (when harvesting soy)? What is that stuff called anyways?
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Chaff and no.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
tatermaster9000

I know this link is for FS19 but according to this:

https://guides.gamepressure.com/farming ... 7685#NH3_1

it sounds like I can use a Forage Harvester to harvest the soy and collect the chaff coming out? Do you know if this is true for FS20?
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Chaff has two meanings, chaff like crop waste (what comes out of the combine) and chopped up crops in a forage harvester.
You can whole crop chop soybeans with the 2 headers that have Disc in their names, but you only get chaff and no grain.
tatermaster9000

Thanks for all these answers @DEERE317. Does the FS community have any official wiki or user's guide where I could learn all this stuff? I see a wiki off of Fandom but its not officially maintained or curated by Giants.
TheCanadianJD

Post by TheCanadianJD »

So when it comes to both FS 19 and FS 20 what falls out the back of the combine onto the ground is called STRAW. Only WHEAT, BARLEY, and OATS produce STRAW. CHAFF is what most North Americans refer to as the straw when it gets chopped up and spread out of the rear of the combine which happens when you combine every other crop beside Wheat, Barley, and Oats. However, most Europeans and Farming Simulator refer to CHAFF as the discharge you get when you use a forage harvester on a crop. What you are referencing that drops out of the back of the combine is STRAW which can be baled and sold for profit or used for animals. CHAFF is collected to turn into silage to either sell or use as feed for animals.