"Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

ClassicTractors

Re: "Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

Post by ClassicTractors »

It looks AWESOME with Seasons. Keep up the good work *thumbsup*
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
akuenzi

Post by akuenzi »

chaskuchar1 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 am akuenzi, I hope you will be in on the testing of the map. enjoyed you on fs15 testing gelvinvalley2015. this is a awesome map to look forward to. got to give bb a thunbs up. the pix from the map are so realistic. chas
Hi chaskuchar1,

I am fortunate in being able to assist with testing of the map. It's quite a surreal feeling to play on a map of an area where I used to work! I likewise remember Gelvin Valley and helping Wez with that -- it was indeed great fun, and an awesome map to boot!
FarmingRemasterd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:41 am Great looking map. I just sigh with happiness looking at the RL photos. Oh, yeah, I hope that the Lone Oak lives forever because it is a beutiful tree. Is there any way to tell how old it is? What would you do with it if it died?
Hi FarmingRemasterd,

Well, unfortunately, nothing lasts forever... but I think the tree still has a bunch of life left in it. So far as I'm aware, it's a healthy tree, and it's been there for a long time. Here's a picture of it taken just a few days ago, this time with a dusting of snow to remind us that winter isn't over yet:

And since you asked, today my son and I made a special visit to the tree to take some measurements. I now know the tree's girth (which we measured by running a string around the trunk at chest height), but the height is only an approximation, using a technique described here. The age was calculated using the method described here. I can't really vouch for the accuracy of these, which were found from simple internet searches, but I guess they'll work until someone who is an expert comes along. ;)

Anyway, for any that are curious, these are the particulars for the lone oak tree:

Type: White Oak
Height: Approximately 40 - 45 feet (12.2 -13.7 meters)
Circumference (at chest height): 130 inches (3.3 meters)
Diameter (at chest height): 41.4 inches (1.1 meters)

The age is anyone's guess. Probably the only way to really do it right would be to drill a core sample from it and count the rings... but I'm not going to do that. But it 'feels' right. I'm north of 40, and my entire life the tree has looked the same where it sits on the hill. I asked my uncle if he remembered it being smaller when he was younger, and his answer was the same as mine. Guess he's not that much older than me. Years ago he did talk to an elderly neighbour about the tree. Long before my grandfather purchased this land, this neighbour had been on grain threshing crews in the 1930s, and he remembered this tree as a place where they would rest their crew. Probably wasn't as large in the 1930s, obviously, but if it was remembered as a landmark, it must've had some decent size even then. So 207 years might just be about right.

Many have taken pictures of the tree over the years, even someone that featured it in a calendar. It had a nice sunset as the backdrop. Wish I had a copy of that, and if I ever find one, I'll scan it and edit this post to include it. Apparently Shutterstock also has an image of it (here).

Last, but not least, I was just informed by my uncle (one of the owners) that there was a song written by one of their neighbours (she lives barely a mile or two away as the crow flies) that incorporates the lone oak tree. If you're interested in that, her name is Lexi Tucker, and you can find the song and its lyrics here.

What would they do if it died? Hmm. Not sure about that one. I fully expect that the tree will easily outlast any of us living around here, so I imagine that will be up to someone else to answer.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I'm really looking fwd to meeting with that Lone Oak tree :coolnew:
PS5 / FS22
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

^^ Me too *thumbsup*
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

akuenzi, thanks so much for the information about the tree and I loved the song. my type of music. hope fs19 has a way to accept a url for a radio station that we can play when we are farming... glad you are in on the testing for long oak tree map. I am jealous a little bit. well, I gave up my game for lent and I hope lone oak tree is done by the time lent is over. chas
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

I love the fact that I finally can play a map with grains bins made by GSI identical to the ones we have on our farm thank you to all the modders and testers who put in so much work to bring us so much more to an already incredible game
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

What will the starting equipment be? I wish I could make the farm I grew up around in rice country into an fs map but I’ve never had a gaming computer to make mods with as well and can’t drop the money to get one #brokecollegekid thanks again for all the hard work and dedication to make this bullet bill and the contributions from the real life farmers to give us this map can’t wait
Turbojugend

Post by Turbojugend »

chaskuchar1 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:54 pmhope fs19 has a way to accept a url for a radio station that we can play when we are farming...
Spotify is amazing for this, on PS4 anyway. Build your own playlist and away you go...
heyimbill.com
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Gimli54 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:47 am What will the starting equipment be? I wish I could make the farm I grew up around in rice country into an fs map but I’ve never had a gaming computer to make mods with as well and can’t drop the money to get one #brokecollegekid thanks again for all the hard work and dedication to make this bullet bill and the contributions from the real life farmers to give us this map can’t wait
The starting equipment will be older stuff and whatever brands you would likely see in America, as much as I can with the default equipment.
FarmingRemasterd

Post by FarmingRemasterd »

Just wondering, what equipment do you guys run on Lone Oak? What does your fleet look like?
Massey Ferguson For Life. If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
Rules for yall...viewtopic.php?f=893&t=74799
Manure is for the fields...not the forum.
Jagtractor

Post by Jagtractor »

Wow. Just found out about this map yesterday. Amazing. Keep up the great work and thanks for all the hard work you do. I can tell right away that this map will definitely be my go to map once it drops.
PC and PS4 Pro
been playing on pc lately.
Colin_TJ

Post by Colin_TJ »

Will u take under consideration expanding map to 4x4 since its possible for consoles after recent update?
PlayStation 5 FS22 :coolnew:
Game Tag: Colin_TJ :hi:
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Colin_TJ wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 pm Will u take under consideration expanding map to 4x4 since its possible for consoles after recent update?
I wasn't aware there was a any update to consoles to allow 4x maps?
But now the map is built, no I wouldn't change it to a 4x map as I would have to start from scratch again and that would be 3months work down the drain.
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Colin_TJ wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 pm Will u take under consideration expanding map to 4x4 since its possible for consoles after recent update?
Dude I think your confused.....where and when did this so called update for 4x maps occur?
PS4
markare

Post by markare »

When did this update happen and why haven't I had it yet?? Oh wait it's a farm game, no wonder I smell bs
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress