"Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

RODHA

Re: "Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

Post by RODHA »

@akuenzi, thank you very much for that detailed perspective on the farm you grow up :hi:
Both reading your post and looking at the pictures made me feel the connection between rl and this map.
Pictures are so beautiful. And the cabinet by the lake is unbelievably identical in both BB's map picture and your rl picture. Just amazing.
After reading your post, the lone oak tree will be the first thing I will visit when the map is released. I just love those definitive details like estancia tree on the DLC map of Giants.
And those hills really look steep. I mean look at the angle on the harvesters. We will be needing some powerfull machinery.
Lastly, I can't even imagine how joyfull it would be for you to play FS17 on the farm you have actually worked on :smileynew: :coolnew:
PS5 / FS22
Turbojugend

Post by Turbojugend »

akuenzi, thank you for sharing your history of this magnificent farm. It will make the Lone Oak Farms map even more special as it has a true backstory to it.
heyimbill.com
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

@akuenzi

I enjoyed the history on the farm. Thanks for letting us know. I think it is nice to know a little about the area that we are going to be playing on, especially if it is based on a real life area. I have been looking for a map in that area of the country, and now I will have one :) Thank you for suggesting this and thank you BulletBill for making this :)

-ClassicTractors
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
Robbh6

Post by Robbh6 »

Damn this looks good!

Absolutely loving the seemingly endless map.
However, I can definitely see myself driving into the invisible barrier fully loaded. :lol:

Keep up the incredible work. *thumbsup*
PC MasterRace
- Mostly farming on the incredible Lone Oak Farm.

SPECS-
Intel i7-8086k @ 5.2GHz (1.32v)
16GB teamgroup ram @4000Mhz
Gigabyte FE GTX 1080 @ 2152core/2778memory
Asus maximus hero X mobo
Intel 760p Nvme 512GB SSD
1TB SSD
Custom Waterloop.
akuenzi

Post by akuenzi »

RODHA wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am @akuenzi, thank you very much for that detailed perspective on the farm you grow up :hi:
Both reading your post and looking at the pictures made me feel the connection between rl and this map.
Pictures are so beautiful. And the cabinet by the lake is unbelievably identical in both BB's map picture and your rl picture. Just amazing.
Hi RODHA -- thank you! That cabin was specifically modeled to match the one that is sitting on that little island. Even the wood textures on the actual cabin were used by the person that made the 3d model. ;)
RODHA wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am After reading your post, the lone oak tree will be the first thing I will visit when the map is released. I just love those definitive details like estancia tree on the DLC map of Giants.
On the one hand it's definitely a special tree. On the other hand, it's an oak tree just like any other oak tree. But in visiting the area, it's impossible to miss. I'm sure a picture of it will be shown at some point.
RODHA wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am And those hills really look steep. I mean look at the angle on the harvesters. We will be needing some powerfull machinery.
Lastly, I can't even imagine how joyfull it would be for you to play FS17 on the farm you have actually worked on :smileynew: :coolnew:
Some of the hills are very steep. But there are flat areas too. Probably similar to many other places. But I always loved the hills, and the challenges that came along with farming on them. I think I've heard that the hills have been dampened somewhat in the working map, but they're still there. And you're absolutely right on your last remark. I wasn't fortunate enough to inherit or have opportunity to have a farm of my own. Getting to play-farm on a farm I've spent a lot of time working on in real life will indeed be a special joy.
Turbojugend wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:52 pm akuenzi, thank you for sharing your history of this magnificent farm. It will make the Lone Oak Farms map even more special as it has a true backstory to it.
ClassicTractors wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm @akuenzi

I enjoyed the history on the farm. Thanks for letting us know. I think it is nice to know a little about the area that we are going to be playing on, especially if it is based on a real life area. I have been looking for a map in that area of the country, and now I will have one :) Thank you for suggesting this and thank you BulletBill for making this :)
Thank you so much for the kind comments, guys!

I was recently in the Lone Oak Farms office and found a couple old pictures hanging on the wall. One was pretty faded, but both showed aerial photographs of the farm at two different points in time (click to expand). As a guess, I think the first pictures was taken in the 1960's just before the summer's harvest. That appears to be a John Deere 95H combine sitting next to the shop, and one can see the grass field being cut and windrowed in the upper right:

This next picture I think was from the 1980s. I'm aware of another aerial shot that was taken in the 90s, but don't know where it is. But the farm layout below is what it looked like when I worked there during summers, basically from the summer of 1988 to about 1995. A lot of changes happened after that. One can also see a corner of the pond in this picture.
You might notice the 'burned' area in the upper part of this picture. Field burning was (and still is) a common practice of raising grass seed, particularly for the varieties my grandfather farmed. It used to be even more prevalent in the valley where I live, but alternative farming practices and different grass varieties have lessened the need for it. My grandfather grew a lot of 'fine fescues,' and field burning was particularly helpful. It is not as helpful for other varieties, and can even do damage. During combining, the straw residue would be spread as evenly as possible over the field, and then later the field would be burnt. It was done to help manage pests and weeds, and to prevent certain types of seed disease. Fire is still amazingly effective, and helps minimize the amount of chemical that needs to be applied (and that the rain then washes downstream :P), but many objections were raised to the smoke plumes in the local area, so it's something that is heavily regulated any more. Plus, over the years there was a use found for the straw, and it became cost effective to haul the straw off the fields rather than burning it. Still, to a teenage boy that was tasked with 'holding the torch' to light those fires (always done in a controlled manner, of course, with careful attention to wind speed and direction, back fires, and meticulous attention to fire breaks -- there was science to it in many respects), it was a spectacular thing to be part of! My grandfather wasn't always long on taking time to 'teach' while we were working, but I do remember him remarking one time, "See what one match will do?"

Perhaps one more 'office picture.'
At some point in the 1990s the farm management transitioned to my uncles. Grandpa was still involved, but the day-to-day operations were increasingly handled by the uncles. It wouldn't be until after I left working on the farm that they would invest in some larger machinery. The above picture is a more recent equipment purchase... and probably a treat to drive. I think I'm going to have to dream up some excuse for asking them if I can drive it at some point. :D
ClassicTractors

Post by ClassicTractors »

^^ Those are some cool pictures. It’s cool to see just how much it changed between the 1st and 2nd pictures. If you don’t mind, can we see a picture of the famous Oak Tree?

Thank you for sharing all the cool information about the real life farm!!
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I'm loving all the history to this map. This is gonna be awesome!!
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Those pics from the irl farm are beautiful, cant wait to explore it in the game, I'm sure bb will do it some justice :biggrin2:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I wonder how the aerial footage was taken in 60's :shock:
Aliens may be? Right before making the crop circles :biggrin2:
PS5 / FS22
markare

Post by markare »

They did have aeroplanes back in the 60s. And amazingly cameras aswell. Surprisingly enough.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^of course there were planes and aerial photography back then but it was not common enough to be used for taking pictures of a farm I guess. Thats why it was a bit of a surprise for me.
PS5 / FS22
markare

Post by markare »

It's been common since long before then. Recon planes have been getting used for decades.
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^Sure but for the private use of a farm? Regardless the size. I mean for commercial use. We are talking about 60's. Not 80's. Admittedly I can't say for sure. May be there were aerial photographers or companies having planes serving for commercial use, I don't know. But it feels a bit unlikely to me. Thats it. I'm just surprised and wanted to learn how?
PS5 / FS22
Guil

Post by Guil »

There's an aerial picture of my grandfather's home place in his house that is from the 50's or 60's in a tiny little rural area and it was just a small cottage. No farm at all so I'd say it's a lot more prevalent than you think.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Around here it wasn't uncommon for pilots and photographers to get together and take aerial photos. They'd then offer these photos locally, sometimes at fayres, sometimes door-to-door.

I doubt there was much money in it and obviously with the likes of Google Earth and Bing Maps most of their business would be lost, but I guess the relatively low cost of drones might have reignite the market for a short time with online sales. Frankly it wouldn't cost much less to buy/hire a drone and do it yourself though.