"Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

DigitalFarmer

Re: "Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

Post by DigitalFarmer »

Thats A shame, but I understand. Hopefully one day.
(PS4)U.S., Kentucky
Shamrock Valley By: Oxygendavid,9 day seasons Beef Cattle, Sheep. Grizzly Mountain By: FDR Logging Team, Homesteading. The Old Farm Countryside By Shaba FS, 6 day seasons Dairy Cattle, Sheep for wool, Hogs, Chickens.
Thanks to all the mod-Artists, you really make the game
TexasOutlaw729

Post by TexasOutlaw729 »

I understand bulletbill's frustration but i really hope he reconsiders. Lone oak was the best thing that happened to fs17 for us console players. That and seasons!
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

To add:

It's not that I don't want to convert it, but after initially converting it to 19 I was so disappointed by how it looked compared to 17 it felt like a massive step back.

The worse thing is the stupid DOF blur effect which completely blurs out all the distance scenery on Lone Oak. This has the effect of making the map feel empty and small.

The opposite effect happens in 17 as thats why I made the map border the way I did so that it would feel like a large open place as it is in RL.

I can work around the ground terrain textures, largely by changing all the default ones as they just clash with each other. The end result is nowhere near as nice as 17, but as good as you can get with 19.

Hopefully GIANTS will actually improve the base game of 19 to the point where I want to play it, that would make me want to mod for it then. Sadly I think they will be quite happy just leaving it as it is, as plenty of people will still buy the game regardless of its faults or lack of immersion.
At the end of the day its business to GIANTS, not really caring about the end product as long its sells.
But thats not why I ever bought the game, played it and modded for it.
JD92

Post by JD92 »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm
JD92 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:20 pm We can see this map in fs19???
Until FS19 is a game I actually enjoy playing and making mods for, I have no motivation or plans to make anything for it.

For now I am happy with playing FS17.
damn it, I really enjoyed with fs17 with lone oak and seasons, I have exceeded 200 hours of play with this couple .. but I understand, I hope you can change your mind in the future because this is my favorite map and fs do not play by yesterday but since 2009 .. so you did a great job thanks the same
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pmUntil FS19 is a game I actually enjoy playing and making mods for, I have no motivation or plans to make anything for it.
WOW...
BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:52 pm
To add:

It's not that I don't want to convert it, but after initially converting it to 19 I was so disappointed by how it looked compared to 17 it felt like a massive step back.

The worse thing is the stupid DOF blur effect which completely blurs out all the distance scenery on Lone Oak. This has the effect of making the map feel empty and small.

The opposite effect happens in 17 as thats why I made the map border the way I did so that it would feel like a large open place as it is in RL.

I can work around the ground terrain textures, largely by changing all the default ones as they just clash with each other. The end result is nowhere near as nice as 17, but as good as you can get with 19.

Hopefully GIANTS will actually improve the base game of 19 to the point where I want to play it, that would make me want to mod for it then. Sadly I think they will be quite happy just leaving it as it is, as plenty of people will still buy the game regardless of its faults or lack of immersion.
At the end of the day its business to GIANTS, not really caring about the end product as long its sells.
and WOW...

These have some serious weight for those who want to understand.

I was so hopeful for the Lone Oak conversion. I had 271 hrs on it in FS17 and wanted to put more in FS19.

Thanks for explaining this Bill. Honestly. At least I now know I should stop hoping.
PS5 / FS22
TexasOutlaw729

Post by TexasOutlaw729 »

Yes thanks for explaining Bill. Lone oak is a beautiful map and I can understand the reasons that you dont want to convert it and make it look like a step backwards.
44mfarmall

Post by 44mfarmall »

Thanks for the explanation.
Well we can say Lone Oak farm will go down in history as one of the greatest maps in FS history.
Remember BulletBill we will stand behind whatever you decide to do.
Keep your nose to the grindstone.
The Men,
The Myths,
The Legendary teams
we all know them as
the Modders and Developers
of this awesome franchise
we call Farming Simulator :this:
Heroes : All Modders
PS4 player
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

Well that settles it for me then.

I am no longer going to be launching FS19.

FS17 with Seasons and Lone Oak is the best time I have ever had farming. I am going back. Cotton and horses is not worth losing Lone Oak for me.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

Thank you Bill though.

Not only are you one of the best modders out there, you not modding for FS19 is a huge loss.

But I totally understand.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm
JD92 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:20 pm We can see this map in fs19???
Until FS19 is a game I actually enjoy playing

You're not alone I got 19 upon release but I have less than 10 hours on it I went straight back to 17 playing The West Coast and CPF which are real works of art *thumbsup*
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

RODHA wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:30 pm
BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pmUntil FS19 is a game I actually enjoy playing and making mods for, I have no motivation or plans to make anything for it.
WOW...
BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:52 pm
To add:

and WOW...

These have some serious weight for those who want to understand.

I was so hopeful for the Lone Oak conversion. I had 271 hrs on it in FS17 and wanted to put more in FS19.

Thanks for explaining this Bill. Honestly. At least I now know I should stop hoping.
Anybody else get that feeling that you lost your best friend?
Gonna miss Lone Oak.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Husqvarna TS 352

Post by Husqvarna TS 352 »

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: No Lone Oak. BulletBill love your map. It will be lost into the pages of history
G'day
PunkinFmr

Post by PunkinFmr »

Thank you so much for Lone Oak, B.B. 653 hours so far. Greatest FS map of all-time!
pingu

Post by pingu »

This thread is very long and old, so apologies if I'm repeating what other have said before me... But I just want to say Thank You for Lone Oak Farm! Started playing it the week FS19 arrived. I was so disappointed with all bugs and issues in FS19, that I'm still only playing FS17. I'm also very uncertain about the graphics in 19. Something with it is annoying me...

Funny that a map that on first glance shouldn't be a favorite to me turns out to be the best map I played. I'm a map-junkie. :) I do not know how many maps I have d/l and looked at over that past 2 years. Many looks so nice and interesting "on paper", but when I load them up and take a tour I immediately find stuff that annoys me so much I can't get myself to even start playing them. Maybe I'm just extremely picky... As an example: I really like the setting of the Ballydorn Farm map, but in the end there were to me to many small annoying issues with the map-layout that the beautiful setting could not compensate for during actual game-play.

Usually I love maps located by the sea. It gives some sort of openness and space to them that I like. So tired of maps surrounded by high mountains on all sides. I like a road network that makes sense and feels realistic, and not just excessive and convoluted in a "model railroad" kind of way. I do like all the fun stuff moders have done on some maps. Sounds, traffic lights, office hours, speed cameras, factory scripts, a city with life and activity, boats moving out on the sea, airplanes, etc. To me that feels like the farm is part of something. So how come I just loved Lone Oak Farm?

The farm itself make sense. It feels realistic with the general layout and the types of building. The old cow shed and some smaller sheds, and then later expanded with a big machine hall. The variety of options with the sheds are great. It has the patina and details. The power-lines coming down the road, the right amount of junk around the back, the mall shack by the pond... The rather flat area west of the machine hall makes it possible to expand with new yard and buildings. The house looks like someone is actually living there.

The road network make sense. Yes, it may not look interesting or challenging to drive on like in many maps located in Germany or the UK, but roads are not built on purpose to be that. Roads are where it made sense to have them, and in Oregon this makes sense. I would like to play more UK based maps, but I have such an issue with left-hand traffic! Yeah, I know it is stupid... :)

The nature feels absolutely realistic. Objects (trees, water, bushes...) are not sprinkled over the map just to make it cute or beautiful. Here everything looks like in real life, and nature in real life is not random. It's evolved in a logical way. The grass and the sky are absolutely beautiful. And then the open feel of the map despite being located inland and the seamless boarders - brilliant!

I like the variety of fields. Yes, it is fun to run you equipment on small odd-shaped fields (like on many UK or German maps), but in the end I prefer to be able to also hire works as the farm operation grows. The map has a great mix of fields that satisfies both way of operating, and (unlike the standard maps in FS) it all looks realistic and not just "let's place fields of different sizes and shapes on the plain". I like big fields with obstacles in some way so that you first have to "prepare" a bit maunally (like doing end-rows and stuff) before starting your helper to do the main part, and this maps have these also.

And of course, playing a map made by someone who knows his/her stuff is great because you don't run into game-braking errors.

Do I have any negatives?

Well, it can feel a bit lonely to me since I like maps with a bustling life and activities. Out on the farm you never see anything else moving. But it is what it is, and that was not the goal with this map. But a cat and a dog walking around the farm would have been mighty nice! :)

And chickens... I love chickens, and think they are a must on a farm to make it a proper farm! So I really miss that. :)

Gold nuggest... Do not like them! :(

The issues I encountered (really minor ones):

On several occasions I have seen cars stopped on the road just north of the Lone Wolf Co. They just stop for some reason without anything visible blocking them. Happens in both directions.

It's not easy to tip sugar beet or potatoes at the sell point with a smaller tipper that is not high enough for the conveyer.

When you buy implements and they end up outside the shop, some are impossible to attach to due to lack of space in front of them. You have to either push them around or reset them to the farm.

The sun in the sky and the direction of shadows do not line up. I think it's most noticeable in winter mornings when the beautiful sun sits in south-east but the shadows are coming from almost south. I really do not know anything about map making, so there is probably a good reason for it. In the end, it's just cosmetic.

Right now I'm about to start the "fith year" on the farm. Economy has settled a bit. Bought a combine last year. Will buy another larger field this year and probably start with cows.

So, thank you for your work! I do envy those of you who have the skill and creativity to make maps like this. As (probably?) many others I have sketched out my own "dream map", but it will never happen. "A man's got to know his limitations." [Dirty Harry] :)
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Thank you all for your kind comments.

@pingu,

I appreciate the detail you have gone into describing my map. It feels nice to see how someone else notices the little details I put into the map.

As the map is a real life replica I tried to find a balance between that and the game.

It does feel a bit empty on the map at times, but then that is true of the real life area.

As for the extra animated stuff around the map, these all cause a negative impact on FPS performance so were left out.

The skies not following the actual sun "light" is due to Seasons changing the angle and rotational values of the sun "light" bot affecting the sky model itself.

In summertime they should be pretty exact, but in Winter they will be the most out of sync.

Originally I had planned to make a larger vehicleshop area but in the end I settled on the size I did. One of the downsides of trying to fit something into an area that doesn't have it in RL. In hindsight I probably should have moved the whole building further back from the road.

The AI traffic is down to the very basic nature of GIANTS AI traffic. Any adjustment to there speed and also making them cross in front of each other causes issues.

A lot work around this by never adjusting the default speed of 19mph and making sure they only ever go 1 way around the map.

One of the drawbacks I have found with my map projects is the last few years is they have been made with a wider playerbase in mind and also performance limitations on both PC and Console. This has caused them to feel limited or restrictive and not what they could have been.

Recently I started my own project map for myself (FS17) and am finding it a refreshing change making what I want to make with no thought to other playing styles. It's quite liberating.

Some would say you should always do that with every project you release. Sadly the truth is if you do that you just get endless complaining from the vast crowd of self entitled players within the FS community who seem to think modders are robots and can satisfy there exact preferences.

At the end of the day no matter what you make you will never satisfy every single player.