"Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

BulletBill

Re: "Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

Post by BulletBill »

@Sir LANsalot

You have to remember not all players play on easy mode, not all spend hundreds of hours on one map, meaning there progress is not as rapid as other players.
Speaking with most players the issue of never actually owning more fields than when you start with was a common one.

As pointed out above agricultural land is not as expensive in RL as it is default in Fs17, equipment costs far more than land.

I would say if you want a challenge then play on hard with Seasons, rather than the easier modes.

It is impossible for modders to make everything realistic in this game as the game itself is not realistic in the first place. Also it is impossible for us to make a map that suits every single player style.
First and foremost I make a map the way I want, I may take some other players considerations into the equation, but the end result is what I want on the map.

With regards sell points I think your missing the point. When replicating a RL area yes you can take some artistic licence, but every bit you do takes something away from what the map should be. To keep the original feel of the area those have to be kept to a minimum.
Also cluttering the map up with lots and lots of sell points doesn't improve the map in my opinion, we only have a 2km x 2km area to fill and if the map had more sell points it would not look or feel like the area its based on which is open and realitively free of buildings.

Despite your suggestion I am well aware of the parts of my maps that are realistic and not realistic, If I didn't care about the players at all I would make the maps even harder to play. As it is I already dislike "dumbing down" maps to suit a wider player audience.

With regards which AI Mod this map was built with in mind? Neither... both are very flawed and massively limited in my opinion, and are more akin to Farm Management than a Farm Simulator. They require a map to be built around them which the end result is something akin to a arcade map. None of which interests me.

Maybe my background in farming means I work out ways to compensate for the limitations of the AI more easily than those who have no experience farming. Also I have a different appreciation for the game.

I do find it a bit confusing though that on the one hand you are criticising the map for being too easy, yet at the same time too challenging with regards using hired workers. That seems a contridiction to me.

This game is effectively a sandbox game, it has no end, no win point.
The point of the game is to enjoy experiencing farming, that can mean different things to different players.

I think this illustrates how impossible it is to make a map to suit all players 100%.

And quite frankly as I make the maps for my own enjoyment I'm not going to worry or feel inclined to change the way I make my maps.
IowaFarmer34

Post by IowaFarmer34 »

Amen Bulletbill!! I love this map and appreciate the work you put in. I try to give every mod map a test run, some suit my playing style and some do not. For those that don’t, I move on quietly without complaint because I appreciate the work of the mod maker and understand they are not obligated to anyone!!
SirLANsalot

Post by SirLANsalot »

Probably should of mentioned that I enjoy the game on hard and play it on hard (its my friends that don't always like hard but agree to at least play it on normal depending on the map). And I cannot even convince them to play with seasons :( . Even so, the map does feel "too easy" to me in that part, I love the layout and design of the map and is why I enjoy it despite a few points where i have issues with it. I "fixed" filed 45 by using the roller to remove some of the field that is too close to the fence posts and so far its solved the issue (should of thought of that before I posted LOL).

Again this is all just suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em its all good.

Building a map with the AI in mind isn't as limiting as one would think. Courseplay works very well on your map and is the one with the most control over what you want the AI to do. Its maybe not the best one when it comes to harvesting, but for seeding its pretty good. For the most part its the one i like to use since I hate seeding but I like harvesting. AI Extension is the other way around.

Either way, fun map and well done, again those gripes are my own personal issues I find with the map. Still fun and enjoyable, best part about the map is really the dynamic field sizes, a good mix of small and large fields (great for big bud pack).
MuaJussi

Post by MuaJussi »

Great map, but a few bugs.

stump cutter does not remove forest/wood [bush/shrub/hedgerow]. Real forest wood remove. it's ok.

Barbed wire fences is useless => I want to remove it from the fields.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

MuaJussi wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm Great map, but a few bugs.

stump cutter does not remove forest/wood [bush/shrub/hedgerow]. Real forest wood remove. it's ok.

Barbed wire fences is useless => I want to remove it from the fields.
No the stump cutter cannot remove bushes/shrubs/hedgerows... that is because those models are not constructed the same as trees.
If they were the FPS on the map would be awful.

The Barbedwire fence is there in real life, it is a static model which means it cannot be removed unless you take the map into GIANTS Editor.

Neither are bugs...

Making a map for Farm Sim is all about compromise between flexibilty/playability, realism, and FPS performance.

Trying to juggle all those and get a nice balance to please everybody is almost impossible.

Glad your enjoying the map though.
Inkslinger98

Post by Inkslinger98 »

Keep up the awesome work BB. love lone oak. not AI friendly but beautiful. I may need to consult with you on my Shenandoah Valley map. I'm making structures for it but the actual land is a lot of work. actually it's all a lot of work. hats off to you sir.
ashleysmith21

Post by ashleysmith21 »

Aholz89 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 pm I've sold a lot of wool without any problems, 4, 6, 12 at a time. What sort of problems do you have?
using the manitou telehandler to load them and it just goes and spins out and flies off and vanishes in mid load
SmokinRoses

Post by SmokinRoses »

I don't know if anyone else is having issues with Field missions on 17 on PS4 version. It doesn't give you enough time to get it done. We've tried different ways and different farm equipment and still same issue. Aside that, so far everything else is perfect. :)
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

^^ did you update the map to the latest version?
PS5 / FS22
BlackBob

Post by BlackBob »

Hello everyone,

I haven't been playing on this map for a while, but now I found an error. I can't attach any equipment to my tractors. No three-point-linkage or pulled equipment like trailers. Attaching buckets on the telehandler does work fine.

I tried to delete some mods but I didn't play for a while so I don't know if I have all the recent mods deleted.
RifRaf

Post by RifRaf »

Awesome map bullet bill I am enjoying playing this map very much so far is my favorite
One question about the pig farm when I go to put straw down the machine only shoots the straw to the fence which I’m right outside of and there is no way to get in that pen is there a glitch or a trick to getting the straw laid down where it should be I’m sure it’s me doing something wrong
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

RifRaf wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:21 pm Awesome map bullet bill I am enjoying playing this map very much so far is my favorite
One question about the pig farm when I go to put straw down the machine only shoots the straw to the fence which I’m right outside of and there is no way to get in that pen is there a glitch or a trick to getting the straw laid down where it should be I’m sure it’s me doing something wrong

The straw trigger for the pigs is at the end of there barn on the Northern side.
JD92

Post by JD92 »

We can see this map in fs19???
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

It is best not to ask.

If we are lucky enough to get it, we will see it.

You have to respect Bulletbills time and health and personal decisions instead of bugging him about it.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

JD92 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:20 pm We can see this map in fs19???
Until FS19 is a game I actually enjoy playing and making mods for, I have no motivation or plans to make anything for it.

For now I am happy with playing FS17.