Added realism for vehicles

muppetz_r_us

Re: Added realism for vehicles

Post by muppetz_r_us »

Having big problems with cars/pickups sliding around at any speed.

Telehandlers are practically useless. Trying to loads bales in a field and the wheels constantly spin, can barely get the bales on the trailer.

Also when operating equipment well under the hp requirement, such as square balers, can get nowhere near the operating speed.

I like the idea of the mod but it seems to have a lot of problems.
ArpyClarkson

Post by ArpyClarkson »

There is an issue with small diameter tires losing traction almost immediately upon entering a field; even when there no resistance caused by pulling/using an implement. The John Deere XUV is a good example of this; it gets bogged down in cultivated fields and can't get out on its own. Having the same issue with slightly larger diameter tires like ones on many car/truck mods. Pretty much if drive into a field at speed I can move around, but as soon as I stop the tires dig in and then the tire friction zeros out.

I spent some time poking around the script and I think I found the issue: all tires are sinking into the field the same amount (wheel.sink) regardless of their size; I assume this is a Giants thing and not something you can change. This is a major issue because that distance ties into the 'reduced friction caused by sink' calculation; this makes it so that smaller tires 'false' out of that calculation and have their friction zeroed out disproportionately from a larger tire.

This is apparent in the ActWheelSinkPercentage calculation where a JD XUV tire (r= 0.32) and a normal tractor tire (r= 1.0) are divided by the wheel.sink value. There is a global modifier that is multiplied with the tire radius, at this time it happens to be 0.5, so for the JD XUV tire we end up with ((0.16/0.16 = 1) * 100) = 100 when our wheel.sink is a value of 0.16 (very common in a cultivated field). This value is then checked against ActWheelStuckPercentageLevel which 'falses' out if the ActWheelSinkPercentage is >= ActWheelStuckPercentageLevel (101) .. which then takes the wheels traction from ~0.33 to a flat dead 0.

You can change REA.WheelRadiusMaxSinkFactor to a value > ~5.5 and that should fix this case with the JD XUV; or you can bump up the ActWheelStuckPercentageLevel values to ~105; or maybe normalize the wheel.sink value based on the radius of the tire. As it stands smaller wheels are seen to sink a greater percentage into the ground which is why they act like that are more stuck. Not sure if this fixes the issues with tedders/balers, but I'd assume they would have the same issue with their even smaller tires seeming even more stuck in the field.

Or at least that's how it looks to me, I haven't gone through the entire script so I can be wrong with this thinking.

TL;DR to fix small wheeled vehicles having no traction in field open up the LUA to line 123 and change REA.WheelRadiusMaxSinkFactor to 0.6 or something; bigger numbers will make small tires get stuck less .. also bigger tires much harder to get stuck :(

UPDATE:

Still testing it out but I've come up with a way to make smaller wheels "seem" bigger and keep big wheels the same, and it scales in effectiveness based on how small the wheel is (so tedders get a huge boost, while slightly undersized tires get almost none). All it is is a change on line 516 in the LUA replacing:

Code: Select all

ActWheelSink = math.abs(wheel.sink);
with

ActWheelSink = math.abs(wheel.sink) * (ActWheeleRadius < 1 and math.sqrt(ActWheeleRadius) or ActWheeleRadius);
No idea if there is a performance hit from the extra math/logic, but it's working well enough for me for the time being. I didn't test tedders/balers before updating this, but I've tried them with it and while they do work a bit slower up a hill its not like i'm dragging an anchor behind the tractor. If you try this fix out let me know if it's working alright for you~
900hasse

Post by 900hasse »

Hello Arpy!
Thanks for the feedback, i will take a look at this!
The friction is only changed for motorized vehicles so all implements are excluded, of course if you lower the sink value implements will need less force to be pulled.
//900Hasse
REA22 mod
https://github.com/900hasse
//Hans Nordberg
astro80

Post by astro80 »

hello and thank you for this mod, if i want a more power request to pool the harrow what i have to change in the lua file?
900hasse

Post by 900hasse »

astro80 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:07 pm hello and thank you for this mod, if i want a more power request to pool the harrow what i have to change in the lua file?
Hello!
Do you want the specific harrow to need more or less power you should change the harrow mod instead of the REA-script.
//900hasse
REA22 mod
//Hans Nordberg
Bomberman82

Post by Bomberman82 »

ArpyClarkson wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:03 am There is an issue with small diameter tires losing traction almost immediately upon entering a field; even when there no resistance caused by pulling/using an implement. The John Deere XUV is a good example of this; it gets bogged down in cultivated fields and can't get out on its own. Having the same issue with slightly larger diameter tires like ones on many car/truck mods. Pretty much if drive into a field at speed I can move around, but as soon as I stop the tires dig in and then the tire friction zeros out.

I spent some time poking around the script and I think I found the issue: all tires are sinking into the field the same amount (wheel.sink) regardless of their size; I assume this is a Giants thing and not something you can change. This is a major issue because that distance ties into the 'reduced friction caused by sink' calculation; this makes it so that smaller tires 'false' out of that calculation and have their friction zeroed out disproportionately from a larger tire.

This is apparent in the ActWheelSinkPercentage calculation where a JD XUV tire (r= 0.32) and a normal tractor tire (r= 1.0) are divided by the wheel.sink value. There is a global modifier that is multiplied with the tire radius, at this time it happens to be 0.5, so for the JD XUV tire we end up with ((0.16/0.16 = 1) * 100) = 100 when our wheel.sink is a value of 0.16 (very common in a cultivated field). This value is then checked against ActWheelStuckPercentageLevel which 'falses' out if the ActWheelSinkPercentage is >= ActWheelStuckPercentageLevel (101) .. which then takes the wheels traction from ~0.33 to a flat dead 0.

You can change REA.WheelRadiusMaxSinkFactor to a value > ~5.5 and that should fix this case with the JD XUV; or you can bump up the ActWheelStuckPercentageLevel values to ~105; or maybe normalize the wheel.sink value based on the radius of the tire. As it stands smaller wheels are seen to sink a greater percentage into the ground which is why they act like that are more stuck. Not sure if this fixes the issues with tedders/balers, but I'd assume they would have the same issue with their even smaller tires seeming even more stuck in the field.

Or at least that's how it looks to me, I haven't gone through the entire script so I can be wrong with this thinking.

TL;DR to fix small wheeled vehicles having no traction in field open up the LUA to line 123 and change REA.WheelRadiusMaxSinkFactor to 0.6 or something; bigger numbers will make small tires get stuck less .. also bigger tires much harder to get stuck :(

UPDATE:

Still testing it out but I've come up with a way to make smaller wheels "seem" bigger and keep big wheels the same, and it scales in effectiveness based on how small the wheel is (so tedders get a huge boost, while slightly undersized tires get almost none). All it is is a change on line 516 in the LUA replacing:

ActWheelSink = math.abs(wheel.sink);
with

ActWheelSink = math.abs(wheel.sink) * (ActWheeleRadius < 1 and math.sqrt(ActWheeleRadius) or ActWheeleRadius);
No idea if there is a performance hit from the extra math/logic, but it's working well enough for me for the time being. I didn't test tedders/balers before updating this, but I've tried them with it and while they do work a bit slower up a hill its not like i'm dragging an anchor behind the tractor. If you try this fix out let me know if it's working alright for you~
Thanks a lot, it´s quite better now but some Modtractors are not familiar with the new settings but i´m fine.
Fyremintar

Post by Fyremintar »

Hello,

I would like to start with the fact that I very like your mod but I have one problem with it. When I am driving on any cultivated field (any map) sugarbeet harvesters (Ropa Panther, Ropa Tiger, Holmer Terra Dos) are bouncing from left to right. I think that jumping increases after unfolding the harvester .I tried sugarbeet harvesters mods - same problem. This problem does not occur without REA. I tested it without any other mods. REA version is 1.2. FS 19 is fully updated.
900hasse

Post by 900hasse »

Fyremintar wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:01 pm Hello,

I would like to start with the fact that I very like your mod but I have one problem with it. When I am driving on any cultivated field (any map) sugarbeet harvesters (Ropa Panther, Ropa Tiger, Holmer Terra Dos) are bouncing from left to right. I think that jumping increases after unfolding the harvester .I tried sugarbeet harvesters mods - same problem. This problem does not occur without REA. I tested it without any other mods. REA version is 1.2. FS 19 is fully updated.
Hello!
Thanks for the feedback!
The script increases how much the wheels can sink inte the ground and may give more bounce.
I'm looking into what ArpyClarkson wrote, this lead me to the fact that the original sink calculation more or less ignores the size of the wheels. i'm testing testing a new calculation now and the result Will be that larger wheels gives more float in softer ground, a heavy vehicle need very large wheels or tracks to not sink in soft ground.
This might help with the vehicles you talk about but i have not tested this yet.
//900hasse
REA22 mod
//Hans Nordberg
Bomberman82

Post by Bomberman82 »

In @900hasse we thrust thank you again, may. Great mod great functions. Love it :) *thumbsup*
900hasse

Post by 900hasse »

Bomberman82 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:36 pm In @900hasse we thrust thank you again, may. Great mod great functions. Love it :) *thumbsup*
Thanks!
I do my best!
//900hasse
REA22 mod
//Hans Nordberg
900hasse

Post by 900hasse »

I tested the Holmer and the ropa, they don't behave in the same way.
Looked in the XML and they are similar in size and weight but have different suspension settings, don't know if this solves it all but can be worth a try if you want to test.
//900hasse
REA22 mod
//Hans Nordberg
Fyremintar

Post by Fyremintar »

Thanks for your efforts. I can test it and I will report you back how it performs in the long run after changes.
Johannes233

Post by Johannes233 »

Is there hope that the mod for the playstation 4 will come? :hmm:
Bomberman82

Post by Bomberman82 »

I´m not familiar with Consolesversion but Scriptmod´s are not allowed for Gameconsoles isn´t it?
ItzChaz

Post by ItzChaz »

How can you hide the hud as i dont want it to always be shown and it ignores the console command of noflyandhud which is annoying?