[ON HOLD] Norwegian Dream 2020

Norwegian81

[ON HOLD] Norwegian Dream 2020

Post by Norwegian81 »

Early screencapture from Farming Simulator 19 PC-version.

Short introduction about myself

Hello there! :coolnew: Where to begin? I'm a Norwegian citizen born back in the early 80s, year 1981 to be more specific. Both my parents grew up at farms in Norway, and I'm born into a farmers city in the eastern part of Norway, in a great valley named Gudbrandsdalen, north of the city Lillehammer...or somehow known as "Lilyhammer" from the famous TV-series with Steven Van Zandt. As a kid I worked on a farm close to my birthplace in the neighborhood with some pretty interesting farmers as I remember. It was a middle sized farm with cows, pigs, sheep and a beautiful horse. My parents are not farmers, but my mother who still lives in my neighborhood grew up at an old farm close to a famous mountain for climbers named Andersnatten - located at Eggedal in the municipality of Sigdal in Buskerud. She's a professional artist, 78 years old and still going strong :lol:.

When it comes to modding, my experience with modding started many many years ago with the light version of Autodesk Gmax, where I made some ship models for a game called Virtual Sailor. After a while I moved over to "big brother" Autodesk 3ds Max v.8-9 and the known 2D editor named Adobe Photoshop. Since then I moved over to console gaming (PS3, PS4 and currently PS4 Pro) and haven't really been into modding or PC-gaming since then. So yeah, kinda have to refresh my memory and get into the workflow again.

For gaming in general, I'm mostly into first-person shooter games and simulators such as Microsoft Flight Simulator, Euro Truck +++ Ship Simulator Extremes, and city building games like Cities Skylines.

Norwegian Dream 2020

Well it may not be released in 2020 but who knows... :wink3: This project aims to establish a Norwegian playable mod map for Farming Simulator 19. The concept is a mixture of fictional and realistic assets (terrain, objects, peaceable objects etc.) in a somewhat Norwegian environment.

First 3D terrain model generated in World Machine64.

Stage 1 - Landscaping (current stage per 12.8.2020)

The first stage of the project is to create a landscape inspired by the western part of Norway, with fjords and alpine terrain, and some farmland here and there. First stage is an "experimental stage" where I play with different variations of 3D terrain models that is outside of the map border. As a base map for the project I've decided to use Felsbrunn SDK, as this map got a similar concept theme.

Screeencap of 3D terrain model optimized with Editable Mesh in 3ds Max 2020.

Terrain models are exported into Autodesk 3ds Max 2020 (main 3D editor and DDS-texture rendering tool) from World Machine https://www.world-machine.com/ terrain generator, and then converted to editable 3D mesh for optimization and material texturing.
Later on I'm using 3ds Max's FBX Exporter to get the file ready to be imported into Giants Editor.

Textures are mainly CC-textures (Creative Commons) that are prepared with PixPlant https://www.pixplant.com/ - especially for textures that are repeating seamlessly. This tool is also great for making sub-materials like normal maps, bump maps etc.
I also use GIMP 2.10.20 to work with 2D variations of the texture - especially 2D painting. GIMP has some bugs with making DDS-files, so the work around is to put the texture material on a Plane-object in 3ds Max and use rendering to save it as DDS (DirectDraw Surface) DXT5 with mipmaps.
Stage 2 - Vegetation, waterfalls, rivers, natural rocks and such (TODO)

The second stage is about exploring the possibility for making custom vegetation as cuttable trees, bushes and various LOD-vegetation. In this stage I will also explore the possibility to make flowing rivers, water streams and waterfalls - which is "typical western Norway."

Stage 3 - Road and traffic systems (TODO)

Third stage is about making road- and traffic systems close to "Norwegian standards", and maybe explore toe possibility to make a drive-trough tunnel, bridges. An experimental idea is to use the default train system and make a driveable car ferry. And yeah, the usual stuff like A.I pedestrians and so on.

Stage 4 - Farmlands and main farm (TODO)

Fourth stage is about making 3D assets for the main farm where it all starts, environmental farms, fields, placeable items and more.

Stage 5 - Sell Points and missions (TODO)

Fifth stage is about making 3D assets for sell points and various player missions.

Stage 6 - Special features (TODO)

Sixth stage is....hush hush! :lol: :mrgreen: Roughly this is the stage where I'm exploring the possibility to put something unique into Farming Simulator. It depends on the learning curve and my tests and failures...

Stage 7 is the last and final stage which everything is tested, debugged etc. for completion. So that's the staged plan for the mod map project.
PC rig

Project Norwegian Dream 2020 is developed on a brand new PC rig:

Lenovo Legion T530
GeForce RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM, 512 GB PCIe SSD, Windows 10 Home

Monitor:
MSI 27" Curved screen, type Optix MAG272CQR.
Resolution: 2560x1440

---

Okey, that was some general information about the project, and I'm grateful for any feedback, tips and more from mod developers that wants to pop-in and help me out now and then.
I'm like a newbie puppet to modding for Farming Simulator, but I learn quickly and I'm happy to contribute my time and effort for Farming Simulator and the community. So let's hope for the best! *thumbsup*

(...and hopefully my right mouse-arm gets better with a new ergonomic mouse. I just hate that pain... :frown: )
Last edited by Norwegian81 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
drinking beer when I'm scripting...sure it helps :lol:
Norwegian81

Re: [WIP MAP] Norwegian Dream 2020

Post by Norwegian81 »

Funny how defaultItems.xml uses $data for filename from the SDK-folder, while I have to change it back to data, like:

Code: Select all

filename="$data/placeables/mapDE/sellingStationGeneric/sellingStationPort01.xml" position="722 56.4 812" rotation="0 90 0" /> <!-- SE Port -->
..changed to.. in "mymod" folder

filename="data/placeables/mapDE/sellingStationGeneric/sellingStationPort01.xml" position="722 56.4 812" rotation="0 90 0" /> <!-- SE Port -->
...because the default farm items wasn't there in New Farmer-mode :gamer:

Also, same goes for defaultVehicles.xml too...
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

So far today I made a third terrain model that transformed Felsbrunn into a fjord.
I still got problems with clipping terrain in the horizon EVEN... when the parameter for Emissive Map is blank in Giants Editor. :hmm:

Following screencaptures are in-game.

Console does so far OK.

Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

So far I've made some new progress...lol!

I found a shader in Giants Editor that helps me to tile textures. Also, I've made a new terrain 3D-model that suits the map perfectly.
I still have some distant terrain clipping, but it's not that much. Also added a main waterplane that is duplicated and got a sub-collision model for "swimming"...not diving !? :lol:

Since last time I've organized the map folder and renamed a lot of files, after studying the structure and build-up in the mod called FlatMap by PrzemsoN https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

Following screenshots are in-game (FS19.)

Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

m4pj3cts wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:36 pm Great work *thumbsup*
Thank you :hi:
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Well another breakthrough in the cloud of confusion.... :geeknew: :ubergeek: "Glitch in the Matrix"

When you export as FBX-files from 3ds Max, with UVW mapping integrated in your 3D-model, and you import that FBX-file again into 3ds Max...everything is fine.

Well, lets import it into Giants Engine v8.2.0 and you will notice these strange artifacts.

These artifacts are not there when you import that FBX into 3ds Max again. Even with several old versions of the FBX exporter, there is nothing wrong with that FBX-file or the exporter itself. Giants Engine simply doesn't like UVW-mapping...yeah..that's a claim, but it might be true. :confusednew:

So the work around might be to tile the material with the map textures in 3ds Max Material Editor, OR adding the Custom Shader within Giants Editor called tileAndMirrorShader.xml...which you find in FS19 main game folder (not My Games/Farming Simulator) in folder data/shaders and copy & past that file to "myFantasticMod/shaders"

Then you select the 3D object within the editor and go to Window > Material Editing, expand Custom Shader-tab and click "Replace or Add New Shader.." and go to the shaders-folder within your mod-folder to load it.

Now, there might be other ways around too, but at least you don't want to have those artifacts within your mod. It does not look pretty... :wink3:
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Latest progress by 18th August 2020...

Screencapture in-game with DoF turned off in game.xml

Textures are now painted on terrain using 3DCoat https://3dcoat.com/. The max texture resolution is 2048x2048 pixels, and all of the mesh-landscape is using only this texture.

IF this was CryEngine from the famous FPS-game "Crysis"...with high level of detail, then the landscape would very likely useup to 4 x 4K textures. Now, I'm not so sure yet if I'm going to split up the 3D mesh in sections and use 4 x 2K resolution textures. That's a bit of work...

Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

So....yeah... I REALLY messed myself up on this one!

Since yesterday I've spent hours on hours trying to figure out the error message about missing vertex attributes. And typically I was locking for errors in 3ds Max and 3DCoat. Well... There was no errors in the 3D-model there, or the import/export dialogs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I missed every single time I imported this 3D-model into Giants Engine, was to TURN ON Tangents in Attributes-panel.

Man, what a mess. Because yesterday I thought this was just a bagatelle.
In fact it was - A GREAT ONE! :zunge: Blaaaaaaaah!

So now the BUMP/NORMAL-map is working fine again. And I really have to watch myself on this one hereafter.
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

New road layout. This is a low-poly optimized version that use one surface texture (DDS/DXT5) for the whole set that can be modified by PC-users - if you like to change the color of the asphalt or make it look older etc. Road surface markings are not in textures, but materialized markings with no collision mask.

Where the highways will be placed on the map is currently in planning. I might keep fields "as they are" and slowly remove default roads and mod AI-vehicles later on.

Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Why does Giants Editor use different backslashes for file paths? :hmm:

<File fileId="379" filename="textures/water_normal.dds"/>
    <File fileId="962" filename="textures\road\seamlessroad_diffuse.dds"/>
    <File fileId="963" filename="textures\road\seamroadnostripes.dds"/>
I'm guessing that the answer to "use relative paths" is NO also, right?
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Roads...roads....roads....and...roads....
It's just a lot of road work, folks :gamer:

So since last update I downloaded a "road construction set" made by Fatian & Crouwler at modding-welt.com. It has some similarities to Norwegian roads and quite easy to place and adapt. With time I will make some adjustments to the texture to get a yellow/orange centre line.
Roads in this map will be a bit wider for large vehicles. It's not going to be "English and curvy country roads" :zunge: :lol:

Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Update per 11.09.2020

- Updated and modified terrain layer textures to blend with mountain environment textures. Other terrain textures will be modified later as these are modified vanilla textures, but not part of the $data which usually points to data/maps/textures/terrain. Vanilla terrain textures were copied and pasted into the mod maps texture folder, and main i3D map file updated with correct paths. Later the textures where modified with Photoshop and Nvidia Exporter and painted directly.

- Updated vanilla rocks and cliff textures.

- A lot of roadwork now and then...when I'm nit picky :zunge: It's just a picky job, that's all :lol:
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Hello again,

I'm taking some breaks now and then since this project is massive considering the amount of custom assets that I plan to add by time. In fact it's a lot of work considering everything you notice just by driving on a map in Farming Simulator, and you expect that it has a theme that fits the region the map is based on.

So today I'm just doing some 2D work with Norwegian traffic signs, and I'm using a old PDF-document from the traffic department to get into all the signs you see along the road when traveling in Norway. It's quite a lot. :gamer:

For now I'm making some raw textures in Photoshop for "baking to textures" process in 3ds Max later on. And I'm not going to make a lot since I need more storage space for textures :lol: as my 1 TB hard drive just seems to fill up too quickly.

Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Yep...this one really makes me smile. Just take a look at this and please help me out if you know what's causing this.

Here is the road in Blender - imported as FBX-file from 3ds Max:

Here is the same road in Giants Editor x64 8.2.0

If I import that same FBX-file into 3ds Max 2021 again, it's just as in Blender - same road with no glitching texture.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

What is it?