Green Corn Chaff Yield?

sootysax
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 am

Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by sootysax » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Does anyone know if chaffing corn while it's still green (last green growth stage) gets you a better yield as it did in previous games (or if its possible)?

User avatar
Guil
Moderator
Posts: 5132
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Guil » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:18 pm

The yield was no different in previous games, fs17

sootysax
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 am

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by sootysax » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 pm

alrighty.. thought it did. I guess the bonus is that you dont have to wait for the full harvestable stage

Deadeye
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Deadeye » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 am

Reading this thread i'm not so sure, Guil, that you may not have misunderstood his question. I think he's asking does chopping corn in the last growth state yield more chaff like it did in the last game?(FS17)

I believe I saw something about this a year or so ago on the forum and If I remember right the consensus was that it did yield more chaff when harvested in the last growth state. I'm really not sure though. I always wanted to test it but never got to it.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt

Rasping rabbit
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Rasping rabbit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:46 am

It was tested I believe by Mr Sealyp. It either made no difference, or the difference on an average size field was so negligible that it wasn’t worth worrying about.

As far as I know, the main benefit of harvesting early is you can then turn the fields earlier, and if you keep on top of it, probably every 4 or 5 (maybe 6) times you will get an ‘extra’ harvest.

Drmattymd
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:54 pm
Location: VA, USA

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Drmattymd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:52 am

Actually he's talking about chopping it at the last growth stage BEFORE ready to harvest stage. There is no yield difference but it is more realistic as you would chop the corn before or as it is "firing" while it has good moisture and before the kernels become hard
Playing on PC and PS4

User avatar
Guil
Moderator
Posts: 5132
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Guil » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:50 am

Yes that is what I meant by yield, the chaff yield from the forage harvester.

User avatar
chedly_farms
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by chedly_farms » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 am

Is there an option to chop corn on console before it gets to the harvest growth stage?

Also I liked BSM's custom crop texture on 17. Their ready for harvest corn was still nice and green. But on the flip side, I do see people in real life chop low moisture dead brown leaf corn. Just not often.
Currently Playing: Marwell Manor Farm, 200+ hours
Mill Landscape Midland, just starting
Favorite Tractor: CaseIH 1455xl
Favorite Mod: Fortschritt E303

Thank You Modders for everything you do. Your mod might not be my cup of tea, but we all have different tastes, so thank you for all you effort and making something for everyone.

Nothing Runs Like A Deere

Cowboy5130
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Cowboy5130 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am

That’s how they always do it round my parts. The stalks are brown and they harvest when the ears are pointing down.
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!

User avatar
iwan073
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by iwan073 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Talking about chaff...
What crop gives you the most chaff?

Cause the forage harvester can cut down pretty much any crop and turn it into chaff right?
Farming Simulator 15, 17 & 19 on the PlayStation 4 Pro

george.earlslight
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am
Location: Europe

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by george.earlslight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:16 pm

iwan073 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Talking about chaff...
What crop gives you the most chaff?

Cause the forage harvester can cut down pretty much any crop and turn it into chaff right?
Corn (maize)

Eische
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Eische » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:25 pm

george.earlslight wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:16 pm
iwan073 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Talking about chaff...
What crop gives you the most chaff?

Cause the forage harvester can cut down pretty much any crop and turn it into chaff right?
Corn (maize)
To throw some number in here (liters per hectare):
- corn (maize) = 143520
- grass = 87400 (not chaff, it stays grass)
- wheat = 71200
- barley = 76800

everything else gives way less chaff.
PC - Win10

Drmattymd
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:54 pm
Location: VA, USA

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by Drmattymd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Cowboy5130 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am
That’s how they always do it round my parts. The stalks are brown and they harvest when the ears are pointing down.
Are you talking about combining or chopping?
Playing on PC and PS4

User avatar
iwan073
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by iwan073 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Eische wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:25 pm
george.earlslight wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:16 pm
iwan073 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Talking about chaff...
What crop gives you the most chaff?

Cause the forage harvester can cut down pretty much any crop and turn it into chaff right?
Corn (maize)
To throw some number in here (liters per hectare):
- corn (maize) = 143520
- grass = 87400 (not chaff, it stays grass)
- wheat = 71200
- barley = 76800

everything else gives way less chaff.
Thanks!
Farming Simulator 15, 17 & 19 on the PlayStation 4 Pro

canadafarms
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Re: Green Corn Chaff Yield?

Post by canadafarms » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Drmattymd wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Cowboy5130 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am
That’s how they always do it round my parts. The stalks are brown and they harvest when the ears are pointing down.
Are you talking about combining or chopping?
Pretty sure he is talking about chopping. We do the same in my area as well. Our growing season is short and we have a hard time with getting an acceptable moisture level until the stocks turn brown and start drying out. If it is chopped too green with our extremely cold winters the corn silage will just freeze into a giant block and unless you have a big pay loader it makes it pretty hard to break out of the pile and feed it. Generally our corn is planted mid to end of May and is chopped mid to late October.
PS4

Post Reply