Thank You for - Griffin, Indiana Map - by AJFarmer

chedly_farms

Re: Thank You for - Griffin, Indiana Map - by AJFarmer

Post by chedly_farms »

Very Nice AJ, here is what I’ve been doing in the farm yard across the road from the house. I started with the cattle shed. Then relocated a cement hay silo. Then I put in a silage pit. Next will/might be a dairy barn back behind the silo over there in the corner.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I'm still going at it on this one. Been beef farming the whole time. I had 145 steers at once. I discovered that selling hay and straw nets me more than cattle and I already have the equipment to do it. Gonna sell-off steers as they get to market weight and probably not keep cattle for a while.

I've wanted to do a map for a long time where I do nothing but bale hay & straw and make silage. Guess it's time...
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I seen some video’s of guys cutting wheat hay in Texas on FarmHand Mike’s channel. They wait until it’s brown/drying down, and then they hit it with a swather, and bale it for cattle feed. So I might do that in the game since the TMR mixer takes straw. I know I’m losing out on selling the wheat grain, but playing different ways keeps the game fresh. I’m just happy this week I found out about two feed mixing wagons that take grain on console.

@fenixguy, I like making small bales and sell them with any extra hay I have in fields. It can be fun. Makes me feel like Wes Pandy to think about being just a hay farmer.

fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Is there a mower that'll mow wheat/oat/barley? I figured I'd be forced to combine it first.

Also, I like making 6ft round bales. It's a shame there's only two balers that'll do them (one of them unrealistically) but I like Krone so...
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Hey Ched how good does that 603R work on the 40 series?
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

@fenixguy,

Any mower should mow those as long as they are in their ready to be harvested "phase". It will make straw and no grain. But I'm not concerned with that as it will fit into what I mentioned above, using the straw as feed for TMR. I always hated the idea of using straw in TMR. But now I have a use for it. I just can't combine it first. My OCD gets the better of me sometimes playing this game. But it also makes me come up with new and interesting ways to play.

@Deere317,

It works, I figured because it fit a smaller frame tractor it should work. And I've had no problems, but cosmetically, the hydraulic links don't connect. So I've been meaning to go to the smaller base game front loader, so those connect. Other than that the size of it looks good to. Although, an older loader might look better. I used the old stoll on some of those older Deutz Fahr's back in the day and they looked nice together.

Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Our neighbors feed straw as there roughage basically just straw and silage go in the tmr, helps with acid in there stomachs, they bed mostly with cornstalks and the hay they make goes to the heifers, they have 1,800 head of dairy cattle so they definitely know what they’re doing and have a system.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

@Mwal,

Good to know. I've read different things. From farmers will feed straw rations to only dry cows, to what I watched with Farmhand Mike and the wheat hay. Most of what I "know" comes from watching a hand full of youtube farmers and following a ton of guys on Ag Twitter. It's kind of cool yet crazy the amount of different ways farmers feed their herds. I suppose it's all a matter of turning the grown proteins and water into milk. I'm just happy, that now with the Straumann mixer I now have an option to feed corn grain.

I'd love to hear from anyone else how they feed their cows in real life.

fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I'll be... I don't have to own a combine to make straw. I'm so totally doing oat "hay" now to sell. I do wish I could mow it green but oh well.

And chedly, I totally get the OCD. Everything I do has to fit a particular story in my head. I've spent more time agonizing over a new piece of equipment on here or where to place a building that I have actually playing the game.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

@fenixguy,

I hear you on the new equipment. I'm planting wheat into my newest field which is my biggest. And I'm agonizing over whether to use my 6m 8300 drill, or pay a "contractor" to come do it with a nice newer bigger seeder. But I'm actually enjoying keeping my equipment older and smaller. Like my next big purchase is upgrading (actually downgrading) my combine to the International 1460, which I have a 2166 currently, lol.

DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

@chedlyfarms
If you referring to the FZ30 be warned if I remember right they’re narrower than the Deere loaders and look slightly weird on the mounts.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I think it has a bit to do to our vicinity to straw being heavily available just gotta quote this guy
Dairydeere wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:23 am
What do you feed dairydeere?
Last edited by Mwal on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I'm confused on the question. Are you just quoting me for the fun of it, or are you asking what I feed myself :zunge:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Dairydeere wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:33 am I'm confused on the question. Are you just quoting me for the fun of it, or are you asking what I feed myself :zunge:
Chedly was asking what real farmers feed their cattle, so it made me think to ask what you guys do, looks like the quote was messed up but I fixed it, sorry
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

We feed cracked high moisture corn, with corn silage, wheat-ilage, or oat-ilage depending on the year, along with haliage, and mineralfor beef heifers.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.