Seasons 19 - grass and grazing

blue_painted

Seasons 19 - grass and grazing

Post by blue_painted »

I'm playing Attingham Park and having a lot of fun running a big dairy herd and a big flock of sheep.

However, it seems to me that I could make more use of the grass area for more grazing space. When I look in GE at the dairy field, in the placeable itself, not the instance in the placeholder, it seems that the areas have been defined as I would expect, but the grazing pattern in the grass doesn't match up. Then when I look at the sheep meadow, and mark the corners of the area with primitive cubes, it seems that the grazing are and the grass consumed just do not match up.

After all that introductory waffle:

1. It looks like the grazing areas is the usual "three points to define a quadrilateral" as used for fielddefs,
2. It looks as though multiple areas can be combined as children of the registered grazing node,
3. Sometimes it seems that Seasons has to catch up when calculating how much grass is available.
... and most importantly ...
4. How come there's this apparent mismatch between the defined area and the grass consumed?

I am sort of relying on TheSeb's signature line: Better to ask in open forum than in PM.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Eische

Re: Seasons 19 - grass and grazing

Post by Eische »

As far as I know, Seasons uses the (grass) foliageAreas defined in the xml as grazing area. If there are multiple foliageAreas defined (to cover more complex pen shapes) Seasons seems to create a square surface containing all foliageAreas, like a bounding box.
Did you observe grazing happening outside of the fence for example?
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
blue_painted

Re: Seasons 19 - grass and grazing

Post by blue_painted »

This is the grazing pattern for the sheep ... looking at it from flying-mode I wonder whether it's obscured by the ground level, with the underneath not being used?

... and looking at the grazing pattern for the cattle, it does look as though the multiple areas have been treated as individual shapes ...

Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads