Hyper-slow growth, 0 fun, dead game

RedJester

Re: Hyper-slow growth, 0 fun, dead game

Post by RedJester »

gordon861 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:13 pm

But that's the point, the people playing Seasons previously were happy with this functionality and realism, but it was removed for some reason which I can't really work out. It would have been better to have 'Bail Degradation', 'Grass Drying' and 'Dead Animals' default to off but allow them to be turned on in options as they do with weeding, occasional plowing and crop destruction.
I think that's the big takeaway here. Options. If giants had allowed us to have the Option to use seasons or not, or any of the other added features in it this thread would not even exist.
Giants flubbed with not adding Options and instead made it factory default. By making it a default unchangeable mode you only appeal to certain percentages of player base/play style.
Adding the Option would have opened it up to the wider player base/ playstyles.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

RedJester wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:38 pm Adding the Option would have opened it up to the wider player base/ playstyles.
All the options are there though aren't they?

-1 day per month

-seasonal growth off

-and whatever the option is to lock appearence to a certain season.

Then you can plant, skip to harvest, repeat.

What's the difference between skipping days and fast-forwarding at 120x (which takes longer)? I'm seriously asking because I have never played the game that way.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
mirceast19

Post by mirceast19 »

Giants didnt stole the game from modders!
But...
But I'm sure many people feel like bug-testers now, rather than customers ordering a functional game. Again same story like FS19, too much bugs. I dont feel the pleasure to play FS22 right now, I just sit back on youtube to follow better players that test the new game.

I do not understand why these issues were not tested and communicated before (!!!) the launch of the game, so that they can be repaired and adapted to better options for users.

Academy? What's this? It's not over. It's not even started, we don't know what is bug and what is feature. Instead of wasting time with the Academy, they better invest that time in making the game more intuitive and simple. It makes no sense. People have asked for seasons, in the sense of having more options in game, but that does not mean forcing everyone to grow the crop in 10 months. After playing FS15, 17 and 19 for so many years, now the Academy is coming to tell us 2 things:
1. useless things - useless time consuming for reading so much for less info;
2. things that have changed, without anyone asking for it.
It looks like "hey guys, stay tuned and read around, enjoy the bugs and wait us to fix the game". And in a few months they will probably fix the bugs and you will find out from the Academy how to play, because you have no idea what you bought now in 2022.

You thought you'd buy a nice game you're used to play last years, but - surprise - you bought something else, you have to change your gameplay and you have to spend more time in the game, to be good at all activities in the same time, not to have the opportunity to do one thing better, as if in the real world an award-winning wine or the largest cow farms is produced in the same company that is the champion of selling cotton, corn and furniture. In the same time! Wake up, it's not really like that. We are in a game that must have a gameplay. But finaly Academy told you that it's just your fault, you are blind, *$#%§*, rookie, small head, not smart and so on, that you don't like what's changed in the new game.
RedJester

Post by RedJester »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 pm
RedJester wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:38 pm Adding the Option would have opened it up to the wider player base/ playstyles.

-1 day per month

-seasonal growth off

-and whatever the option is to lock appearence to a certain season.

Then you can plant, skip to harvest, repeat.

What's the difference between skipping days and fast-forwarding at 120x (which takes longer)? I'm seriously asking because I have never played the game that way.
I do agree with you in part, but its also a lot less "turn on and play" or " Arcade" than previous versions. This procedure Requires you to have a farmhouse and the land that goes with it. Previous versions did not. It's similar on paper but not in Practice IMO.
Iconia Star

Post by Iconia Star »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 pm
Not really. Change all the settings to what you suggest and we're still working on the growth cycle for the seasons. The difference is just not as obvious.

We still have to wait ten "months" to be able to do anything with the crops that we planted.
traveler87

Post by traveler87 »

if the current options were satisfactory for casual players then nobody would be having this discussion. i guess even if you disable all of those settings crops are still tied to a growth length based off the new calendar and it is too long for many players.

and no matter what some have said in this thread, sleeping - even if through multiple days - isn't an answer. it's simply not an enjoyable game-loop to be marketed. There's no proper way to sell the idea that it's standard game mechanics to plant your crops and then spend 4 months in bed to sleep though the poorly designed calendar structure and/or lack of fleshed out activities (whatever you want to chalk it up to). i haven't mentioned that you must first be able to buy the land and house in order to sleep.

UX design is certainly not Giants' strength. However, if they invested their success through different iterations of FS and not sat on their hands, they could've designed a pleasant UI for new game saves where users are issued prompts that help structure their gameplay. Simple questions can be prompted such as 'Would you like to play with Seasons or would you prefer a more casual experience?', add to that a few questions regarding extra activities (rocks, starting property, house, economy) - and the game can be tailored to what the player wants. It would not be hard to accomplish, it would just take work; and I'm of the impression Giants tries to avoid too much of that lol.

on another note, the quote feature in these forums is quite annoying lol
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

traveler87 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:58 pm on another note, the quote feature in these forums is quite annoying lol
Speak for yourself. :lol:
traveler87

Post by traveler87 »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:00 pm
traveler87 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:58 pm on another note, the quote feature in these forums is quite annoying lol
:lol:
:lol:
mirceast19

Post by mirceast19 »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 pm Then you can plant, skip to harvest, repeat.

In non-Season game, a day was associated with an year/season. Plant today, harvest tomorrow; you invest work (and money) today, you sell (and get more money) tomorrow. Money today, better tools and trucks tomorrow. Every day. In this gameplay, fast-forwarding it was used to end the day/year. You work at 1x or 5x, do what you want, finish the job, set 120x, take a glass of milk or wine and "tomorrow" sell crops and buy new equipment or plant something else. Fixed and short cycles. "Work"/plant/play about 15 minutes, drink a glass of water 1-2 minute, "work"/harvest 5 minutes, sell and money is there for new cycle. Simple and fun. Something different every day.

Just as a day worker. Work all day (faster or not), money in same evening or tomorrow. No multi-day business plan, no debts and no loans.
Iconia Star

Post by Iconia Star »

mirceast19 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:11 pm
Just as a day worker. Work all day (faster or not), money in same evening or tomorrow. No multi-day business plan, no debts and no loans.
Exactly. I have to plan a year in advance now AND have four sizable fields dedicated only for producing food for the pigs.

In the harder difficulty settings, if you do manage to get all that AND space for your house, your farm is going to be operating at a loss. For players who are experienced enough to cope with that, it's fine. But the less experienced are going to struggle without using some form of cheat.
RedJester

Post by RedJester »

Iconia Star wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:29 pm
Exactly. I have to plan a year in advance now AND have four sizable fields dedicated only for producing food for the pigs.

In the harder difficulty settings, if you do manage to get all that AND space for your house, your farm is going to be operating at a loss. For players who are experienced enough to cope with that, it's fine. But the less experienced are going to struggle without using some form of cheat.
I'm kind of thinking this was known and why the government subsidy was one of the first mods released. :biggrin2:
Iconia Star

Post by Iconia Star »

RedJester wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:47 pm
I'm kind of thinking this was known and why the government subsidy was one of the first mods released. :biggrin2:
More than likely. But we shouldn't have to cheat our way to success. When we use any form of money cheat whether we go into the game files or use a mod like the Government Subsidy or Power Tools, we're only cheating ourselves.

There should always be a choice to start off with fewer interactions with a new concept in the base game and build up. Once we start cheating, it's harder to learn how to use the mechanics properly. Because our first instinct becomes "I'm not going to get anywhere without gifting myself a billion dollars."
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

mirceast19 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:11 pm In non-Season game, a day was associated with an year/season. Plant today, harvest tomorrow
I've played this series for (good Lord, really?) 10 years now and I have never played like that. Always had plant growth set to slow or off and played on 5x or faster. That was long before the Seasons mod came out.

But, it would be nice to have the option that says "make all fields ready to harvest now" for those that don't like to wait.
mirceast19

Post by mirceast19 »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 pm
mirceast19 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:11 pm In non-Season game, a day was associated with an year/season. Plant today, harvest tomorrow
I've played this series for (good Lord, really?) 10 years now and I have never played like that. Always had plant growth set to slow or off and played on 5x or faster. That was long before the Seasons mod came out.

But, it would be nice to have the option that says "make all fields ready to harvest now" for those that don't like to wait.
Im sure that you understand the need or significance of a nice dosage. The dosage makes the difference. Nobody asked "instantly now". Just as it was before: in 0.8 days, in 1 day, in 2 days or old 3 levels of growth plant. Now, in non-Season we are fixed in about 10 days. Which is a big difference...
RedJester

Post by RedJester »

fenixguy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 pm

But that's the whole impetus behind this thread. That is YOU and YOUR playstyle. Previous to FS22, the games catered to and enabled, though mechanics or mods, a wide variety of playstyles for a wide variety of players to meet whatever time, commitment, or other needs there were.
That has been restricted with making Seasons growth the foundation which the game is now based off of. YOU playing that way does not mean its the right, best, or only way it should be played. And I think that is kind of what it feels like Giants did for some players. Took a very open game that did not force you into any one or two types of playstyles and now forces you into playing THIER way.