Calmsden Farm Map

Rasping rabbit
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:57 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by Rasping rabbit » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:21 pm

Tva wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:17 pm
I don't get why can't we have the update as soon as it's done and have to wait for Giants testing. For PC of course not consoles.
You can. It isn’t done until giants have tested it. 👍🏻

humbe
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by humbe » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Tva wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:17 pm
I don't get why can't we have the update as soon as it's done and have to wait for Giants testing. For PC of course not consoles.
Because the modder might not test everything Giants is testing..

So if they released it immediately, and then you found out that there was a bug that corrupted your savegame, so you had to uninstall it, find an old version of the mod that worked for you, manually put it into your savegame folder and then start a fresh savegame.. Wouldn't you be a bit disappointed that the issue wasn't detected before you started using it, so you could keep on playing and await a version that didn't have that issue?

Why do you think they test mods?

Tva
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 am

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by Tva » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:26 pm

Oh I'm sure the modder and player base is testing much more throughly than Giants. I'm sure the bugs in the first version were discovered by players not by Giants. You get it out and thousands of players will find problems much sooner than a couples of testers Giants have.

SimulatedFarmer
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:40 am

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by SimulatedFarmer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:34 pm

And thousands will complain and whine about it, too.

blue_painted
Posts: 1306
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by blue_painted » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:50 pm

SimulatedFarmer wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:34 pm
And thousands will complain and whine about it, too.
"... on that you can depend and never worry ..." ;)
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads

paul_c
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:13 pm

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by paul_c » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:09 pm

Tva wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:26 pm
Oh I'm sure the modder and player base is testing much more throughly than Giants. I'm sure the bugs in the first version were discovered by players not by Giants. You get it out and thousands of players will find problems much sooner than a couples of testers Giants have.
Only sooner, because there's more of them.

If they did test properly, then they will receive a detailed description of the issue, with relevant data, and how to replicate the problem. Users or forum members themselves are not professional software developers (except the handful of professional software developers on here LOL) and even then, wouldn't necessarily be motivated to provide all the detail the dev actually wanted, to trace down the relevant issue.

"Testing more thoroughly" - they are probably finding edge cases which were missed by in-house testing, but certainly the nature of it will be more sporadic and not more thorough.

Tva
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 am

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by Tva » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:03 pm

The thing is I played lots of games with mods and this is the only one where mods need to be aproved by the developer. I get it for consoles, is the only way, but for pc, why? You guys are acting like this is normal to have developer "test" and approve mods and if that will not be the case than a bunch of bad mods that will corrupt savegames or cause harm to the computer will apear. This case right here is the exception 99% of modable games are free for all and they work like that just fine. Bugs are found, some ar fixed, some not you liked it you donwload it, you dont you delete it. Also I think you gave to much credit to Giants testing team of mods, my impression is that they are just testing if the mod doesnt break anything and there is no copyright concern not the quality of it. And there is no need for that the community will sort the quality out, good mods will rise, bad mods will fall thats how it works in literaly almost every pc game around.
And people will complain regardless, its the internet waiting a week for Giants backlog wont fix anything.

blue_painted
Posts: 1306
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by blue_painted » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:09 pm

Tva wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:03 pm
The thing is I played lots of games with mods and this is the only one where mods need to be aproved by the developer. I get it for consoles, is the only way, but for pc, why? You guys are acting like this is normal to have developer "test" and approve mods and if that will not be the case than a bunch of bad mods that will corrupt savegames or cause harm to the computer will apear. This case right here is the exception 99% of modable games are free for all and they work like that just fine. Bugs are found, some ar fixed, some not you liked it you donwload it, you dont you delete it. Also I think you gave to much credit to Giants testing team of mods, my impression is that they are just testing if the mod doesnt break anything and there is no copyright concern not the quality of it. And there is no need for that the community will sort the quality out, good mods will rise, bad mods will fall thats how it works in literaly almost every pc game around.
And people will complain regardless, its the internet waiting a week for Giants backlog wont fix anything.
What it comes down to is this:
In order for a mod to go onto the modhub it has to go through GIANTS testing. If a modder wants the mod to go onto consoles then it has to go onto modhub ... therefore it has to be tested: this is entirely the modder's choice. There used to be a requirement that for mods to be accepted onto modhub they had to be released there first or there only, I don't know if this is still the case.

TD;LR
It's the modder's choice, OxygenDavid in this case.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads

humbe
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by humbe » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 pm

Yeah.. If you want to install untested stuff, it's just to go find it somewhere else than modhub and download it..

Hoffa82
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by Hoffa82 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:26 pm

I've been inte modding games for years, and the big difference with this game compared to say, S.T.AL.K.E.R. or flight sim, or Fallout/Elder Scrolls is that you can install mods from Modhub and practically count on it to work without fiddling with ini-files or merging folders, or chase around half the internet to find a compability patch that somebody maybe have read about somewhere.
So yeah, while testing mods is quite unique for Giants, and sometimes buggy mods get through, the upside is that using mods in this game is child's play compared to many other games.
And as said above, there are other sites do download mods from, on your own risk.

NWJ22
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 am

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by NWJ22 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:12 am

had to stop my play through for the time being, you can't buy fuel anywhere haha, funny lil oversight.

blue_painted
Posts: 1306
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by blue_painted » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 am

NWJ22 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:12 am
had to stop my play through for the time being, you can't buy fuel anywhere haha, funny lil oversight.
You buy fuel when standing next to the tanks in the farm yard. If you have the icons on, it's the blue spanner (wrench) icon.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads

NWJ22
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 am

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by NWJ22 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:34 am

blue_painted wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 am
NWJ22 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:12 am
had to stop my play through for the time being, you can't buy fuel anywhere haha, funny lil oversight.
You buy fuel when standing next to the tanks in the farm yard. If you have the icons on, it's the blue spanner (wrench) icon.
Oh thanks Blue! I assumed incorrectly you had to refill them with a trailer haha, has an auto deliver function.

Rasping rabbit
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:57 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by Rasping rabbit » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:26 pm

NWJ22 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:34 am
blue_painted wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 am
NWJ22 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:12 am
had to stop my play through for the time being, you can't buy fuel anywhere haha, funny lil oversight.
You buy fuel when standing next to the tanks in the farm yard. If you have the icons on, it's the blue spanner (wrench) icon.
Oh thanks Blue! I assumed incorrectly you had to refill them with a trailer haha, has an auto deliver function.
As far as I know, the majority of storage tanks have this option in fs22.

User avatar
Mobias
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: Calmsden Farm Map

Post by Mobias » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:04 pm

When simulators collide. Calmsden as depicted in Flight Simulator 2020. Lovely part of the country to virtually fly over or farm in.

Image

Image

Anyway, loving this map. This has been my first experience of FS22. Pretty much my first experience of FS17 was playing on Chellington as it was the first map to come to console and it was such a good introduction to FS and I ended up playing that version to death and in fact I ended up buying a really good PC simply to play FS properly back then. I think one of the reasons I never really got on with FS19 was that we were stuck with the base game maps for so long and it ended up just effecting my judgement of the game. By the time the first good mod maps came out I'd decided I just didn't much like FS19.

So with that in mind I decided to hold off getting FS22 until Calmsden came out. I think I made the right decision. Really loving it so far. Enough has been improved with the base game to keep me wanting to play it this time and Calmsden is a really lovely little map to spend time in and ease myself back into enjoying relaxing playing FS. Love OxygenDavid's maps. The attention to detail is everything in this sim so as to create immersive little worlds to live. It seems like FS22 is off to more of a running start than FS19 ever was so looking forward to seeing how things develop with it.

I would have quite like to see what the map was like playing it with the static photorealistic sky box that was initially on the FS19 version. Those screen shots looked amazing. I guess Oxygendavid decided the new FS22 sky was enough of an improvement to not bother with the static sky. To be honest I haven't played long enough yet so haven't experienced enough of the new weather effects to pass judgement on any of that. I'll save my revue of the sim as a whole for another thread.

Post Reply