Giants VS Common Sense

muzickmage

Giants VS Common Sense

Post by muzickmage »

First, i'll explain that I don't yet have a copy of the game, so maybe my opinion will change once I actually get the game and am able to jump into it to check things out first hand. However, until then......

Over the last day or so i've been finding some "gameplay" videos on youtube. Youtubers have been eager to showcase the animals and placeable setup for FS19. Great videos.

To complement Giants, the maps look great. And the placeables list looks pretty fair too. I would have liked a couple extra options for houses rather than just be limited to one... but, oh well.

My complaint, however, as seen in the videos on youtube, is how the maps, just like FS17, aren't created very well for placing placeables. The animal pens, for example, are big. Finding a spot on the land to place them looks to be as frustrating as placing a shed on FS17.

Again, Giants gives us a decent list of placeable options but yet they create maps that don't leave us with much room for placing them. Check out the videos and see the struggle the youtubers have when trying to find a place to put an animal pen... only to settle on trying to put the pen on one of their fields instead.... which doesn't completely work well either.

Of course i'm not suggesting a flat map. I like grassy hills as much as the next guy. But designating a few flat farm areas for us to work with would have been nice.

Again, once I have the game and am able to play around with it myself, maybe I'll have a different opinion. But so far, based on the gameplay videos on youtube, finding a spot to place something in FS19 looks to be as frustrating as it is in FS17.

C'mon Giants. Use some common sense here.
malachi6

Re: Giants VS Common Sense

Post by malachi6 »

Common sense and video game game design are not two words I would conflate. It's common sense not to stick your hand in a fire. Video game design is full of compromise and system limitations.

Also, I think I would reserve judgement until I have had a go.
Preble 818

Post by Preble 818 »

malachi6 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:18 am Common sense and video game game design are not two words I would conflate. It's common sense not to stick your hand in a fire. Video game design is full of compromise and system limitations.

Love it.
Playing on PS5 in Ohio, USA.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

malachi6 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:18 am Common sense and video game game design are not two words I would conflate. It's common sense not to stick your hand in a fire. Video game design is full of compromise and system limitations.

Yes, and it's common sense not to program guns into a game that is about crossword puzzles. But to heavily promote a game for it's ability to use placeables, then offer for those placeables a map that limits, and/or makes it difficult to use those placeables, well.... again, I have to ask, where's the common sense?

As for reserving judgement till I get to play the game myself.... I already pointed out in my initial post that I was focused on seeing my own direct opinion from personal gameplay. I also admitted that my initial opinion may change as a result of my own personal experience.

However, that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion based on what I've seen showcased to me by youtubers playing the very game I am waiting to play myself. My opinion of the placeable struggles is based on those struggles witnessed from youtubers.