FS19 Disappointing

fenixguy

Re: FS19 Disappointing

Post by fenixguy »

FS19 was extremely disappointing at launch compared to FS17 after it had been out for two years. Now I think FS19 is pretty great. Personally, FS15 was the low point of the franchise for me.

There are plenty of other games to play if FS is not your thing.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

For me there are two mods that have totally made FS19;

REA
Seasons

There are loads of other really great mods but these two have added so much depth.
Need-To-Know

Post by Need-To-Know »

Shoowee, I thought it was just me. I have stuck w FS17 too. One of the reasons is the mods are more refined..well some super stars have have worked on 19 and made them even better. Wobster and Realismus are awesome - to name a few.

As a payware mod creator in a different sim I have to say it becomes annoying (to say the least) when there is a new update that breaks everything - to a point the freeware modders finally just give up. Like people knocking FS15 - but the Soil mod was awesome and for me was a game changer (please Seasons please). The guy who created it just ran out of time *if memory sever me right to change it over and we lost the soil mod.
Also actual working monitors in the cab. Basic but I could see trailer capacities.

I bought 19 and I keep trying but only takes less than an hour and I head back to 17. And currently have 1500 hours invested in 17...yeah get a life right. Haha - Also 1k plus in 15.
Visually I find 19 to be like a slightly blown out Reshade setting.

I am all for moving the ball forward but just do not recreate the wheel every time and scare away modders. The need for Giants to make money could be better spent on DLCs IMO.
Improve things like:
- Working displays - a code hook to implement things like: seeing where I have been w fertilizer or tillage without opening the PDA, trailer and seed capacities w/o fakey overlays . I know it is not a tractor simulator.
- RL soil - Soil Mod and Realism's compaction looked promising.
- MR type stuff w gears, sounds, dynamics.
- Better route finding

I think ideas like damage modeling and soil deformation are outside of current realistic ideas. I also realize having to make things console compatible are outside of my knowledge on game design (not a limitation I have been subjected to.)

So I think 19 may get there one day. I buy everything to support all involved. Would be great if the old modders/mods felt like sticking around but there is always fresh meat and new ideas. Thanks for making it mod friendly.

Summation: For some it is just a game for others it is a simulation. :^)
At the end of the day thanks to all involved in creating this great game.

Stay safe fellow virtual farms!
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Need-To-Know wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 pm I am all for moving the ball forward but just do not recreate the wheel every time and scare away modders. The need for Giants to make money could be better spent on DLCs IMO.
I'm not sure about that. With a DLC-focused product you'd still get mod-breaking changes otherwise the game would never improve, which is exactly what that model needs to survive long-term. Such games don't just have content updates.

Personally I'd find it easier as a modder with a set cycle. Granted the two year cycle was too short and hopefully the FS2x later release won't just be a one off but become the norm - a four-yearly cycle would probably suit high-level script modders best, but I suspect that would be asking too much.
Need-To-Know

Post by Need-To-Know »

Yes, Great point this_is_gav. I surely do not have the answers and we can be sure the developers wrestle with this to great extent.

In the other sim I work with when new versions come out it is up to the payware developer to offer a free update or feel the wrath of the community for asking for another fee. I totally agree with the community on that too -be it ever so painful sometimes. :)

I hope they find a happy solution that helps everyone involved. FS would not be a fraction of what it is without modders.