FS19 -- A casual gamers quick thughts

pingu

FS19 -- A casual gamers quick thughts

Post by pingu »

First of all... I'm not a hard-core gamer. I'm middle-age and have a lot of other stuff to do in my everyday life. I play maybe 5 hours during a week in the wintertime (less in the summer), and for the last few years it has almost only been FS. I like having good equipment, and don't mind spending money to have that. I never do multiplay. I mostly enjoy playing a well thought-out maps with a realistic setting that are a bit of a challenge. (I do definitely not fancy those gold nuggets, or maps that has 3 millon euros/dollars worth of starting equipment and bins already full of crops). What got me going about FS15 back in early 2015 was the nature of the game. Nice graphics, the slow-pace nature of the game (no FPS stress), attention to realistic details, and the ability to just play around with all the machinery. As a male you never really grow up, do you? :)

I have played FS19 (or, rather, had the game running just looking around and trying it out) for maybe only 2 hours. Here are a few observations.

Graphics

Obviously a different look and feel of the environment. Yes, it is beautiful - probably even more with the highest graphics settings which I probably can't use on my 4 year old iMac despite it being the best you could by back then. But I'm yet to getting used to it despite seeing it in game trailers for a while. The lightning and distance blur will probably be nice and more realistic, but the terrain/nature almost feels more "cartoonish" to me than in FS17. Can't put my finger on exactly why... It could just be that the two standard maps are more about being "a little something for everyone" kind of a style. They are more like a model railroad setup to me. Right now I'm playing Lone Oak Farm by BulletBill in FS17, and that map is not only stunningly beautiful with the sky and ground textures and seamless map borders, but also very well laid out. Everything seems so realistic. Everything has its place. So it's hard to compare that kind of "focused" map with an incredible attention to details and a realistic setting, to a more generic map as Felsbrunn or Ravenport.

The look and feel of the graphics reminds me of DiRT 3 (racing game) that I have played on this very same iMac. Despite being a few years old, I think that games graphics quality is as good as FS19. To make it worse, I could run that (fast-pace) game at almost highest graphics settings on my iMac. Not so with FS19. I'm down to a medium-to-high setting, and still performance is not good. The trees and grass moves smooth and fine like in FS17, but the shadows updates like every 2 seconds. It looks really bad. And that's when I'm standing still watching. And that leads me to the graphics setting in the game...

Still no tutorial from the game developers on all the settings? Stuff like "Mesh Tessellation Volume" is probably not common knowledge in the population. I have worked with computers for 30 years. I have programmed a lot. I'm no novice. But "Mesh Tessellation Volume"? English is not my native language, but that phrase doesn't do anything for me. Not everyone has the latest and greatest graphics card. Of course users would be interested in trying to get the best experience. Other developers have guides explaining what settings do for the graphics and giving general advices on how to maximize performance. But still no help in a commercial product like FS?

Settings

And still no "manual" just going through all the built-in commands? There are quite a few of them, you know. Yes, most people will probably understand "Hazard lights" or "Toggle radio" or "Lift front loader arm". But "Close flap 3" as compared to "Close flap" or "Close flap 2"? Is this for just for a certain built-in vehicle/tool? "Work mode right" - what does it mean? Something very common in the gameplay so that it may need its own button on a programmable device? Is a certain command used only in multi-play so that I can ignore it? Could you just give some basic info, instead of me having to play to game and constantly running into a "oh oh, that command is used a lot in that scenario - now I have to reprogram my gaming devices again"? I was also disappointed that the game settings still just show a veeeryyy looong list of all the commands without any attempt to group them in some sort of logical way. It's annoying trying to find commands and program my devices using this chaotic list that covers like 10-15 screens. Is this the best you could do?

Menu System

The menus in game play are changed. I guess the aim was to make them less distracting, but it is for me often hard to read the white text against light backgrounds. I would still prefer an unobstructed gameplay area that is free from everything except the map (when visible). All the other info would the be shown in "menubars" at the top and bottom of the screen. The top one containing all general game info (money, time, weather, help button, notifications, etc.), and the bottom one reflects what you are doing (speed, cruise control, fuel, tools, etc.) with icons and numbers. Don't fancy these gauges mimicking a dashboard.

Now to the really bad stuff...

All control buttons shown on the screen flickers all the time I move the mouse. As an example: the white rings with a "5" and "11" above the mini map change to a white square with a "9" as soon as I move the mouse moves, and then goes back to the first 5+11 when mouse movements stop. ¿Que? It's the same when I'm in the main menu system. All "buttons" flicker all the time the mouse moves, shifting between two different thing (like "3" and "ESC" for back button). The help menu top left change the number of items in it as soon as I move the mouse. Constant flickering with expanding and contracting that help menu. Back and forth, back and forth, despite me standing still and there not being something new I can do. What is this? A beta release? That alone makes it unplayable. Could be a graphics setting, but how should I know with a about a Million different combinations to try out?

I took a train ride on Ravenport. Jumped in and out a few times along the way. Sometime there was engine sound, sometimes not. Sometimes the horn worked, sometimes not.

The placement of buttons is inconsistent. In the main menu system, the back-button down to the left is sometimes the leftmost, sometime the rightmost button despite having the same function. Bad, bad...

My setup from FS17 doesn't work. With my Logitech joystick connected the game won't even start, and crashes if I try to connect it. FS19 gave me zero clue to why. Another thread here mention a limitation to 4 (!) input devices in FS19. With keyboard, mouse, farming wheel/pedals and farming side panel, there are no room for more devices (except ordinary programmable keyboards like a ShuttlePRO)?

So what now?

I remember when FS17 arrived. Bought it on the Mac App Store, started it, looked around, everything was better, no visible bugs at all, nothing broken or not working. Spent some hours the next few days going through all the commands, programming my devices, tweaking graphics settings - and then I started playing. Never played FS15 again, because FS17 was just better and everything worked. As I had the right to expect having paid premium price for the game.

Will I play FS19 anytime soon? No, it doesn't look like it. My input devices clearly doesn't work. The little I have seen of the game makes me feel it is still in beta. I was very excited about the new equipments and especially the new game play modes that seemed more challenging. But it is just unplayable for me right now. Honestly, I can't see me doing an attempt any time soon. I'm very much enjoying the beautiful Lone Oak Farm right now with seasons and working joystick and everything. Oh, what if they just brought the John Deere's and the new game play modes to FS17 instead... I would gladly pay for that! :)
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
Guitarman

Re: FS19 -- A casual gamers quick thughts

Post by Guitarman »

From what I've read that sounds like a really balanced view. And it's a shame there are problems at the moment.

The main two points that jumped out at me are the icon flickering and the controller problems.

I had that flickering as well, it turned out to be coming from having the help information set on automatic so it couldn't decide between the keyboard and the gamepad (you can change it in the in game options second page I believe). But definitely gave me a headache till I'd figured it out.

They've just announced that they are working on a fix for the controllers. So something to look forward to in future.

To be totally honest I agree with sever of your points. And don't blame you for sticking with 17 till its in a better state. That is what I've done the last few versions and its worked well.

Personally I'm still giving it a go as this is the first fs release if been able to get it for the release day so I'm just enjoying that.

In all fairness, it seems to have gone better than the release of fs15 from what I recall of the forums at that time haha!
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice the size it needs to be!

PC Specs (upgraded at last!): Acer Orion 3000; i5-8400, 8Gb Ram, GTX 1050ti, Intel Optane 16gb
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Pretty sure that when they will fix Key binding issue...most of "bug" will be gone.

I can't even play the game, because my G920 + G13 aren't working properly...function suddently stop working and I need to leave the game and come back...

I played around 30 minutes yesterday, and I have to quit/launch game 5 or 6 times....

1 time, my Y axis on the mouse wasn't working, so I was unable to look up or down
2nd time, I wasn't able to enter/quit vehicule...any key was working
3rd time : My chainsaw would not titl in any direction
4th time : Got it by the train (my fault)...and the attachment I have in front of my loader take a flight in the air and never went down....I think it still flying somewhere...because even after a restart, it was gone...
5th time : Got stuck with the NH 10-90 in field 13...it was enough, I quit the game and won't play before major update...that's so bad...
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Grey20

Post by Grey20 »

I to am a casual player, I have copies of all fs since 2009 on both pc and xbox. When the xbox one x came out I decided to stop upgrading my pc and just use the xbox one x with a large 4k monitor, Giants released the one x enhancement and bam fs17 looked fantastic, I was really looking forward to fs19 that would actually be designed with options to take full advantage of the most powerful console in the world.

Graphics wise after playing fs17 enhanced, fs19 is like playing fs13 on the xbox 360.
tom5051
Boardurlaub/Boardholidays

Post by tom5051 »

Giants have let us all down massively.
Guitarman

Post by Guitarman »

Miketeg wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:09 pm
1 time, my Y axis on the mouse wasn't working, so I was unable to look up or down
Interesting I had the same thing last night (only when walking though, was fine I vehicles) but thought it was something I'd done by tabbing out. Apparently not. What's weirder is it started working again randomly later.
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice the size it needs to be!

PC Specs (upgraded at last!): Acer Orion 3000; i5-8400, 8Gb Ram, GTX 1050ti, Intel Optane 16gb