Plough versus Subsoiler

Cmtaylor

Re: Plough versus Subsoiler

Post by Cmtaylor »

gordon861 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:27 pm I look forward to a new straight plow via mod.
There was a guy who tried to make a straight plow it some what worked but he said the tractor didn't have enough traction to used it correctly.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

theSeb wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 pm
parad0x177 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:35 pm
xterminator24 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:09 pm One further difference - You can't use a Subsoiler on a plowing contract. I registered that one as a bug as they should be permitted given that the game outcome between the 2 implements is programmed to be the same.
Thanks for pointing that one out; I might have been bit by it otherwise. I agree it should be a bug...
As a customer if I asked for my field to be ploughed and it was subsoiled, I don't think I would be happy.
Okay, you got me. Fair point. Sometimes it’s hard to straddle the line between realism and reasonable game mechanics.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

theSeb wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 pm
parad0x177 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:35 pm
xterminator24 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:09 pm One further difference - You can't use a Subsoiler on a plowing contract. I registered that one as a bug as they should be permitted given that the game outcome between the 2 implements is programmed to be the same.
Thanks for pointing that one out; I might have been bit by it otherwise. I agree it should be a bug...
As a customer if I asked for my field to be ploughed and it was subsoiled, I don't think I would be happy.
Exactly.

Likewise IRL if I hired a stubble field cultivated and the contractor ran over it with a Cambridge roll instead, I would be miffed.
Or if I hired a field rolled behind my drill and the contractor sprayed it with fertilizer instead, I would be miffed.

Yet in FS each of these operations described will accomplish the end state I have requested, as unrealistic as they all are.

Different equipment does different jobs under different conditions and if you have the equipment categorized differently in the game it follows that it should have a different effect.

I agree that it's a game (and probably my favourite game ever) but 'Simulator" is still half of the game's title.
TheDeinonychus

Post by TheDeinonychus »

This is very likely a case of the developer actually taking feedback from the players of their previous games into consideration. A lot of people have had difficulties in using plows the way they are implemented in the game (narrow work widths, uneven area of affect, AI missing large areas of a field when using them). Rather than try to design a new type of plow that would make gameplay less annoying for the players, they decided to use subsoilers as a 'near-plow' option. The decision to use subsoilers was likely influences from mods in previous games that added in subsoilers that functioned like a plow, only with a straight area of affect like a cultivator.

It's also a possibility that Giants may been looking to include soil conditioning further down the road, either as an optional DLC, or a feature in a later game. Including them in FS19 from release may have been to 'pad numbers' of usable equipment. If so, it's a bit 'eh', but not as egregious as some developers have done before.

If you are foaming at the mouth over it not being 'realistic' enough, you can always suggest a mod maker add in the need to rip fields before they can be plowed or cultivated. Or simply not use them, the old plows are still in the game, after all.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I just bought a plow, I think its pretty decent. I like subsoilers for how efficient they are but plows bring more versatility to the game
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Mysticalmaid

Post by Mysticalmaid »

I'm glad of the subsoiler, mostly because the AI will do a better job with that than with the plough (I hope!). I wish that Giants had the time to put a proper little description on each tool and vehicle, perhaps as hover text in the shop, describing what it's proper usage is in real life and it's proper usage in game. A bit like The Sims has descriptions on each of it's objects (though some are very silly).

I feel like ploughing isn't as much of a pain in the bum as in previous games, is this just me?
mespalin

Post by mespalin »

I prefer the subsoilers if I need to hire workers. But if I am going to be doing the work I really do prefer the traditional moldboard plow. There is a certain technique to it that is pretty enjoyable, IMO.
FS17/PS4/CPF/OSF/Oakfield/Lone Oak/Seasons
sila0164

Post by sila0164 »

Maybe I'm just a noob (very likely), but wouldnt you need to plow the field for planting beets and potatoes?
Havent played much with those crops so im not sure if you can plant them in cultivated soil, but the ground they grow in is at least the plowed texture.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

With sub soilers you need a powerful tractor, so if you are starting up it could take while to get two of them. I'd always use two in a large field
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

What's the difference of subsoiler and plow in real farming?
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

george.earlslight wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:26 pm What's the difference of subsoiler and plow in real farming?
I’m certain someone else can provide a more in-depth description if you like, but it boils down to how and how deeply the tool breaks and turns the soil as it works.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

A plow will turn over soil, bringing lower soil (and the nutrients within) upwards. A subsoiler breaks up/loosens the soil deeper down.