More about weeds.

PoggleBox

More about weeds.

Post by PoggleBox »

I think I have the weeds system worked out now. It seems from my observations that weeds are not random, but propagate from the top left corner of the map, in blocks may be 1 hectare at a time. They go left to right top to bottom like reading. At least when they start that is the case. It happens quite quickly, in less than a day once it starts.

Putting narrow tyres on your equipment prevents crop damage when spraying. I'm fairly sure I managed to spray a crop with weeds when the crop was at growth stage 4.
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
PoggleBox

Re: More about weeds.

Post by PoggleBox »

X1 timescale. I think they've deliberately coded the weeds that way so that you HAVE to use herbicide sometimes. Otherwise, you could just use a weeder all the time.
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

Further observations about weeds this morning. I weeded a 1st growth stage crop yesterday with a weeder successfully. This morning at weed time (around 0500) the weeds progressed down the whole map as usual. The block size is much smaller than I originally thought, maybe 10 sq metres. Each block appears at 1-second intervals. The field I had planted and weeded yesterday, I was in the process of harvesting. It was at stage 1 ready to harvest. The weeds skipped the unharvested crop, but infected the harvested ground in the same field. Whether this is because I had already weeded the field or because it was ready to harvest I do not know.

Another field I own was at stage 4 growth. The last weed epidemic it suffered yesterday was after it had been harvested, but before cultivation. It got infected today, I will see if it can be treated with herbicide shortly. It is due to progress to harvest ready state at any moment.

I can say for sure that during an epidemic, you will only get infestation as the small block passes over your land. You won't get weeds at any other time. It was better for me to wait until it finished passing over my ready to harvest field, which only took a couple of in-game minutes because it didn't infect those parts that hadn't been harvested.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

The stage 4 growth field could be sprayed successfully. But I have another question to research now. I saved and quit the game, mid-epidemic so only half that field was infected. When reloaded, the epidemic didn't continue. Was that because I'd saved and quit or does the epidemic not cover the whole map? I think it's the former. Tomorrow morning we shall find out!
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

The problem with weeds is they grow map wide at set times. This makes no scense, their growth should be tied into each field seperatly.

A chance to grow system would have been much much better. Very low chance on a plowed state, low on unferted cultivared or seeded state, and medium with stage 1 high with stage 2 fert. Herbicide should prevent their growth/ drastically reduce their growth chance.
PC gamer.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

I quite like how the weeds work. I intend to experiment with many combinations to determine precisely how they affect gameplay. Do they start at the same time of day every day? Is it the same for everyone? On every map? I feel sure many players are forgetting to check their fields often, particularly on accelerated gameplay. Or they have so many fields they just can't keep up. I need 2 more fields, one north and one south to have a good vertical coverage of the whole Feldsbrunn map.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Weeds are planted every time a crop is planted, by you, or the AI, except for crops that have the field plantsWeed defined to false in the game's xml files.

Crops with plantsWeeds = false are oilSeedRadish, poplar, and grass

This is why you see entire fields covered with weeds. They have a growthStateTime, just like every other crop, but it is defined much lower than any other crop. Growth state time is the time in milliseconds for a crop to reach the next growth state

Currently in the base game there is no way to do preventive spraying. In other words.. if you have just planted a crop and there are no weeds yet, spraying herbicide won't prevent the weeds from growing.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

There must be more to it than that. Harvested fields and cultivated fields get infested with weeds too. So I'd say that the crops with plantWeeds = false prohibit weed growth in that field. Therefore the crops with plantWeeds = true likely just enable weed growth for the field but neither are the trigger for actual weed growth.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

PoggleBox wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 am There must be more to it than that. Harvested fields and cultivated fields get infested with weeds too. So I'd say that the crops with plantWeeds = false prohibit weed growth in that field. Therefore the crops with plantWeeds = true likely just enable weed growth for the field but neither are the trigger for actual weed growth.
No, harvested and cultivated fields do not get infested with weeds. No, plantWeeds=false does not just prohibit weeds growth in that field. There is no likely or maybe to this my friend. :hi:
Guil

Post by Guil »

theSeb wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am
PoggleBox wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 am There must be more to it than that. Harvested fields and cultivated fields get infested with weeds too. So I'd say that the crops with plantWeeds = false prohibit weed growth in that field. Therefore the crops with plantWeeds = true likely just enable weed growth for the field but neither are the trigger for actual weed growth.
No, harvested and cultivated fields do not get infested with weeds. No, plantWeeds=false does not just prohibit weeds growth in that field. There is no likely or maybe to this my friend. :hi:
Harvested fields do grow weeds. At least mine do on felsbrunn.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Fair enough. Let me double check. If true, it will make things even better for Seasons

Yes, it looks like harvesting and cultivating plants weeds. Excellent. My apologies.

Plowing and subsoiling does not
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Edited
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

theSeb wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am No, harvested and cultivated fields do not get infested with weeds. No, plantWeeds=false does not just prohibit weeds growth in that field. There is no likely or maybe to this my friend. :hi:
I'm aware of your background, but I beg to differ. I observed 100% this happening in realtime over a 30 minute period to a field I was harvesting. yesterday. As the weeds progressed down the field, they wouldn't infest the unharvested crop. But harvested area's did get infested. I'd previously removed weeds from the field during the crop growth stage. Once the infestation had progressed to the bottom half of the field, the top half could be harvested with impunity to the weeds. (See screenshot) field 20. The needs lime area has been harvested. The fertilised area is unharvested. the band of weeds is from this infestation. The weeds infestation (in 10m squares) has progressed to the left edge of field 17. Fields 21 and 22 are weeds left over from the previous infestation.

I stopped harvesting at this point to watch the weeds progression. After another 15 minutes or so the needs lime area in field 20 were full of weeds. The unharvested crop had none.

So, as you can see I have to disagree.

Edit: @ theseb - just seen your post above but I'll leave this here for reference.
Last edited by PoggleBox on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Please look at my last post just above.

In a nutshell, when planting crops with plantsWeeds == true, then plant weeds

harvesting removes visible weeds, but also replants them
cultivating replants weeds

subsoiling and ploughing does not replant weeds
Guil

Post by Guil »

So is it a case that cutting the crop drops weeds back into the soil and only ploughing or subsoiling removes them completely until a crop is planted again? Interesting.