Slow the train down and speed traffic up

Eep

Re: Slow the train down and speed traffic up

Post by Eep »

george.earlslight wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 pm Anyone knows what's the property that makes traffic and train "invincible"?
I've tried changing their rigid body from kinematic to dynamic, but they became pass through.
Kinetic seems to make something invincible: https://gdn.giants-software.com/tutorial05.php and I also tried setting a traffic vehicle to dynamic but same thing: non-solid except I later found its "shell" (collision shapes) invisible so I guess the vehicle dropped its shell after it was initially rendered? Very odd...
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

I leave them on just to make the map look more alive, but yea I just completely ignore them and traffic laws while driving. At most I'll turn my beacons and hazards on when going down the road...
PC gamer.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

Eep wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:20 pm Kinetic seems to make something invincible: https://gdn.giants-software.com/tutorial05.php and I also tried setting a traffic vehicle to dynamic but same thing: non-solid except I later found its "shell" (collision shapes) invisible so I guess the vehicle dropped its shell after it was initially rendered? Very odd...
I'll try to convert the old pickup to traffic and see how that works.
I'm guessing I'd need to also open the map since this is where the traffic behaviour is probably governed.

For now, I've just changed the traffic speed and collision detection and it seems to be much more bearable.
tuttle

Post by tuttle »

How do you change collision detection? I've tried the following line in each vehicle i3d:

<Shape name="trafficCollisionTrigger" scale ="1 1 2.5" translation="0 1.05002 0.241617" visibility="false" shapeId="9" kinematic="true" compound="true" trigger="true" collisionMask="34611200" castsShadows="true" receiveShadows="true" nonRenderable="true" materialIds="1" nodeId="17"/>

But they'll just ram my vehicles at full speed. (They'll stop for pedestrian mode)
tuttle

Post by tuttle »

scale ="0 0 2.5" seems to work.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Eep wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:20 pm
george.earlslight wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 pm Anyone knows what's the property that makes traffic and train "invincible"?
I've tried changing their rigid body from kinematic to dynamic, but they became pass through.
Kinetic seems to make something invincible: https://gdn.giants-software.com/tutorial05.php and I also tried setting a traffic vehicle to dynamic but same thing: non-solid except I later found its "shell" (collision shapes) invisible so I guess the vehicle dropped its shell after it was initially rendered? Very odd...
Kinetic makes the object unmovable to outside forces (as far as I can remember). Dynamic means the object can be pushed around, however, the collision box has to be set up right or it will just fall off of whatever object it's assigned too
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Faelandaea wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:57 pm Unfortunately, based on the locale of the developers, this is how it is over there. Trains are always extremely fast and cars never drive faster than a bicycle. Thus the developers have only this as a reference when making the traffic rules for the game.

It might be that the videos and such of how traffic runs in other countries might seem too fictional to them. But, yeah, what they need to do is leave the European map the way it is. That is actually correct and does NOT need to be touched, as that IS realistic for European regions. But the American map needs to have much faster cars and much slower trains.

Fortunately, we have a lot of mod maps out there that put traffic and such at speeds more realistic to the regions they represent.
Is this a serious post?
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

Smith Modding wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:53 pm Kinetic makes the object unmovable to outside forces (as far as I can remember). Dynamic means the object can be pushed around, however, the collision box has to be set up right or it will just fall off of whatever object it's assigned too
Heck I definitely would not mind those cars falling off the road and disappearing. LOL. Small trade-off for keeping traffic going by in the distance while working to feel on a more lively map.
theSeb wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:58 pm Is this a serious post?
It is. And it is a factual and correct one.
Faelandaea Dravin
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

“Unfortunately, based on the locale of the developers, this is how it is over there. Trains are always extremely fast and cars never drive faster than a bicycle.”

So you genuinely believe that this is factual and correct?
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

Compare the average speed of cars in Europe to the average speed of cars in America and you'll get it. Until then, trying to explain the specifics to you is a moot point it looks like.

The devs got the Europe map right. But mod maps of American maps will need to have much faster cars and much slower trains.
Faelandaea Dravin
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

I've seen trains going way faster by my house than they do in the game. so saying they go slower in the America is not allows true..
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

lefe1 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:06 pm I've seen trains going way faster by my house than they do in the game. so saying they go slower in the America is not allows true..
I am talking averages. Not specifics. We have a few insanely fast trains here, but for the mst part our freight trains do not go very fast at all. As for cars here ... good luck on any road getting a driver to drive slower than 80 MPH/130KPH on any freeway and 55MPH/80KPH on any "B" road. We're lucky to get any of these morons to slow down for a school zone LOL. It seems like speed limit signs over here are just "decor" for the side of the road, as opposed to other places where people actually care about safety somewhat.
Faelandaea Dravin
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

well the trains by me in new London Ohio don't go slow. watch this video..
and this is the average speed of trains when they do come thru town..

Last edited by lefe1 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Faelandaea wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:10 pm
lefe1 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:06 pm I've seen trains going way faster by my house than they do in the game. so saying they go slower in the America is not allows true..
I am talking averages. Not specifics. We have a few insanely fast trains here, but for the mst part our freight trains do not go very fast at all. As for cars here ... good luck on any road getting a driver to drive slower than 80 MPH/130KPH on any freeway and 55MPH/80KPH on any "B" road. We're lucky to get any of these morons to slow down for a school zone LOL. It seems like speed limit signs over here are just "decor" for the side of the road, as opposed to other places where people actually care about safety somewhat.
You are talking specifics and not averages. Just because you've seen people driving at X does not mean that the millions of drivers in the US drive at the same speed. Many countries in Europe have higher speed limits than in the US, thus your other argument is also silly. Hell, Giants have an office in Germany. You do realise that there are many sections of the autobahn where speed is unrestricted? But according to your knowledge we all drive at the same speed as bicycles in Western Europe where there are also dragons and it's all one country too.

I mean... seriously.
Last edited by theSeb on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

lefe1 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:18 pm well the trains by me in new London Ohio don't go slow. watch this video..
and this is the average speed of trains when they do come thru town..

CSX through there is only doing around 55. Watching that video, that train is doing like half the speed of the train in FS19. Don't get me wrong. I get what you are saying. I am not saying trains over here crawl. But they definitely don't go bullet-train fast like the ones in the game do. When the train blasts through in the game, I half expect it to be the EMU ICE train.
Faelandaea Dravin