Animal Profits

Pict

Re: Animal Profits

Post by Pict »

Mdavis1967 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 pm Currently testing the horses... because... well, horses. Have discovered that having to hop onto each one (i started with 8 ) every in-game day and ride him for 5 minutes of out-of-game real time (not compressed) to get his daily 100% exercise... is becoming quite a pain in the ass when you consider that for each "In game" day that is sped up with time progression, you now have to spend 40 minutes (for 8 horses) sittting on them, riding around... yeah the $400K I'll get for selling 8 of them, doesnt seem that the juice is worth the squeeze.... Dont think I'll be buying more horses after I sell off these 8
Yep riding the horses gets old fast, which is a shame as they make good money, don't require constant cleaning like the other animals and are a fun way to see the map.

If your on PC you can get a mod called Pferdehelfer or Horse Helper by the most excellent LS-Modcompany https://ls-modcompany.com/filebase/file ... /#overview

From the site;

"This helper will help you to ride your horses. At 11 pm your horses are 100% ridden. Of course he does not do it for nothing, he gets 300 € per horse per day."

Which is cool, because you don't get it for nothing, but it gets done whether you ride them or not, which is then up to you :)

If your not on PC, I feel for you...I wouldn't last the pace without being able to mod this game as and when it needs it.
Last edited by Pict on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

I also want to add is cows in europe really giving 50lbs of milk on TMR? That pretty awful and looks like rotational grassing rates.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

The in game tables that you can print out on the pc say this

milkPerDay="125"
manurePerDay="185"
liquidManurePerDay="125"
foodSpillagePerDay="20"
per cow

This is scaled with productivity, so the only way to be getting 22 litres per day is with pretty low productivity.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Corstaad wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:50 pm I also want to add is cows in europe really giving 50lbs of milk on TMR? That pretty awful and looks like rotational grassing rates.
An American site told me that in the US cows give 6 to 7 gallons per day, in line with European figures
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

60lbs of milk a day seems low but I'm out of the dairy loop since the 90's. That was the average then though in my area. Cant imagine US averages stagnated since then. Doesn't really address the fact that scale of this game doesnt match reality. This was the same arguement orginally on why cotton prices was so low.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

theSeb wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:51 pm The in game tables that you can print out on the pc say this

milkPerDay="125" j
manurePerDay="185"
liquidManurePerDay="125"
foodSpillagePerDay="20"
per cow

This is scaled with productivity, so the only way to be getting 22 litres per day is with pretty low productivity.
Why is there such variance on milk production a day then? Whats the j part?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Well, since you can sow, harvest and resow in one day, you probably should get a years worth of milk per day, but then cows would be over powered.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Corstaad wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 pm
theSeb wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:51 pm The in game tables that you can print out on the pc say this

milkPerDay="125" j
manurePerDay="185"
liquidManurePerDay="125"
foodSpillagePerDay="20"
per cow

Why is there such variance on milk production a day then? Whats the j part?
J is where I hit the j key on the keyboard by mistake and didn’t see it. The variance is productivity. If you keep productivity the same, then cows always make the same per day.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

Just so you know they don't so there must be something else in the math. Its obviously not on scale with real life statistics or else we'd have 3000 acre farms to afford 400k combines. Why then do we somehow pull real life data for animal production is my issue.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

125 litres per day is not based on real life. The real life discussion came because the other chap mentioned his figures. The only way he could get that is with low productivity. Unless of course something is not working like it used to and how it should

The game works this out by checking the productivity every few minutes, so you could get different figures if you let productivity go down during the day
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

The point really is that for Cows atleast, the numbers are way off from comparable things we do in FS19. Its frankly in the ball park of 1/3 of what we do a day. That's how much it got nerfed. Sheep also look to have the same problem but its really not even worth figuring out at the moment as the numbers need huge tweaks to even start to see the plus and minus of raising them in game.
Oseh

Post by Oseh »

In FS17 I tended to go with sheep, because they're easy to do - grass + water or mower, loading wagon and water bowser.

Cows needed a bit more planning, but in essence they just add straw to the grass + water, and time (or money) to convert some grass to silage - but then there's a cost, TMR mixer is an expense a starting farm may not be able to justify.

I almost never did pigs, mainly because beets (or potatoes) - gonna have to plant them and harvest them with expensive equipment, and find somewhere to store them (either a mod storage, or pallets) - and there's the time it takes to harvest a field of beets or potatoes, that's a long job for a solo play farmer (unless. maybe, you use courseplay!!)

So given that, I've noticed that the wool pallets are 1/2 the content from FS17, and the price is about 1/3. What I've not compared yet is the production rate of wool, either a per pallet or per 1000l rate. It's going to be a while before I get into cows or pigs though.
Trumpcard54455

Post by Trumpcard54455 »

My best guess is that Giants aim with FS19 was to prevent a single farming/husbandry activity income from soring way above the rest; as to avoid bottlenecking a player into a certain activity like selling tonnes of silage at biogas or selling crates of wool like a madman.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

That may of been what was intended but the 1/3 daily sales nerf is proportional to how far its off. The bottleneck is the addition of placeable cost. Which dont forget takes up land which has value. To run a extremely basic 49 cow farm your looking at close to 1 million loan on hard setting. You'll make $3000 on milk sales and $1800 on selling a cow that wont hardily cover interest. Thats roughly 1/3 of what you'll make running arable farming with three starting fields at a 1 million loan per day. The dairy farm only gets worse once you scale it as crop farming can also can scale. In a nutshell they nerfed daily sales from dairy quite abit from FS17. Kept basic crop economy the same. Then added in a host of additional costs to animals. This has turned this side of farming simulator out of whack. Farther testing isnt worth the time as Giants has to make large changes to this side of the game to even consider a deep dive into animals.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

lets see the numbers and the math, there are alot of threads on here with comments regarding the economy, yet I haven't seen any complete data to justify the numbers as either good or bad.

on the other hand, the way you start out in this game in any mode gives you pretty good money. if this was real life, I'd sell everything in new farmer, or keep the cash in either of the other modes and retire to Aruba.