Fertilizing

TheJonaz

Fertilizing

Post by TheJonaz »

What's the difference between 50% and 100% fertilized? Does it matter if it's just 50% and is sowing Oil See Radish between my sunflower harvests the best way to fertilize, or should I buy a fertilizer and run over the seeds after sowing?
FarmerJimbob

Re: Fertilizing

Post by FarmerJimbob »

You'll get a better yield at 100% than at 50% fertilised. Oil Seed Radish is a relatively cheap way to fertilise but you have to allow a growth cycle before you can cultivate or seed over it to get the fertilisation benefit. I only really used it when playing with seasons in 17 as there was plenty of time for it. Most efficient is having a seeder that fertilises at the same time (one that cultivates too is better still) then you have several growth stages to lay down the 2nd fertiliser stage before harvest.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

You will get a yield penalty (Less crops when harvesting) if you only fertilize 50%. Some of the seeders also fertilize while seeding, but you'll need to fill the appropriate tank. Radish will take up a crop cycle, but is cheaper than fertilizer. I use the Bednar fertilizer with the 18m spreader. It's hooked up to the cheapest FIAT tractor in the game and that's all it does. Just fill it with Fertilizer and snap up all the Fertilizing Contracts when they appear. Every 3 or 4 days I just top it up at the shop. If you plan your route carefully, You can make a quick £20k knocking out 4 of these in 30 minutes. Make sure whatever you use for fertilizing you have narrow tyres if you have crop destruction on.
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

You can also use slurry/manure/digestate before seeding (before the plow or cultivator).
That way if your seeder also applies solid fertilizer, you're set at 100% fertilization and have only to worry about weeds.
TheJonaz

Post by TheJonaz »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:40 pm You'll get a better yield at 100% than at 50% fertilised. Oil Seed Radish is a relatively cheap way to fertilise but you have to allow a growth cycle before you can cultivate or seed over it to get the fertilisation benefit. I only really used it when playing with seasons in 17 as there was plenty of time for it. Most efficient is having a seeder that fertilises at the same time (one that cultivates too is better still) then you have several growth stages to lay down the 2nd fertiliser stage before harvest.
What seeder do you recommend that fertilizes too? I have noticed, that the one I have now doesn't allow me to hire a worked, only seeder does. Maybe the best way for me is still to sow Oil Seed Radish since it grows pretty quick when I spend time doing contracts, and spend the time to grow them twice for 100%?
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

I've only worked with seeders in 19 so far (not planters) so can't recommend one for Sunflowers without being in the game but for seeders the smallest cheapest one I think is the Vaderstad Rapid A 600S. The Horsch Pronto 9 DC is more expensive but doesn't require cultivating first and, at 9m width, can serve you well for a long time before you'll need to go bigger. I think that used to have a faster work speed than other seeders too which was a big plus but I'm not sure if thats still the case. Early in the game the crops that you can use a seeder for are easier and quicker to turn around (and make better profit) than sunflowers.

Which machine won't allow you to use a worker? They normally will only not work if the field is not in the correct state or the implement is not appropriately filled. I'm not sure you can use OSR twice in order to achieve a 100% state.
TheJonaz

Post by TheJonaz »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:42 pm I've only worked with seeders in 19 so far (not planters) so can't recommend one for Sunflowers without being in the game but for seeders the smallest cheapest one I think is the Vaderstad Rapid A 600S. The Horsch Pronto 9 DC is more expensive but doesn't require cultivating first and, at 9m width, can serve you well for a long time before you'll need to go bigger. I think that used to have a faster work speed than other seeders too which was a big plus but I'm not sure if thats still the case. Early in the game the crops that you can use a seeder for are easier and quicker to turn around (and make better profit) than sunflowers.

Which machine won't allow you to use a worker? They normally will only not work if the field is not in the correct state or the implement is not appropriately filled. I'm not sure you can use OSR twice in order to achieve a 100% state.
Both the Rapid A 600S and Pronto 9 DC sais that they can plant seed without cultivating first. However, the Pronto has an icon in shape of a bag with a leaf on it. What does it mean? I will probably buy one of them, since the money they cost can be earned quickly with contracts, so I might aswell get the one that will help out in my own fields as smooth as possible :)
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Oh sorry, yeah the Vaderstad cultivates but doesn't fertilise. That bag icon indicates that the implement takes fertiliser. The Horsch is really good but does need a 270hp tractor.
TheJonaz

Post by TheJonaz »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:07 pm Oh sorry, yeah the Vaderstad cultivates but doesn't fertilise. That bag icon indicates that the implement takes fertiliser. The Horsch is really good but does need a 270hp tractor.
And since I actually spent some cash when starting the game, by buying the STEYR 6300 CVT with 300hp engine and double sets of wheels, I should probably save up and buy the Horsch for cultivating, seeding and fertilizing at the same time? :D
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Better still then, you could save for the Amazone Condor with its 15m working width and larger capacity. ;)
TheJonaz

Post by TheJonaz »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:24 pm Better still then, you could save for the Amazone Condor with its 15m working width and larger capacity. ;)
It's a good idea sir, but I can't. It's green, and doesn't follow my color scheme with red/white/black :P
Jokes aside. Any of those would nice awsome, since they cultivate, seed and fertilize at the same time..saves alot of time! I usually sow Sunflower on my own fields, since they pay good, but with a machine like that i would probably be better of sowing something else since it speeds up the process alot.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

TheJonaz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:32 pm It's a good idea sir, but I can't. It's green, and doesn't follow my color scheme with red/white/black :P
https://youtu.be/Kblid3pUD0Q
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

This is sort of on topic, but does the oilseed radish work for you guys on PS4? Just cultivated mine down for the first time and it didn't do anything.

Yes I waited till they were up.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

They only show as fertilised when you seed, I think.
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

Just tried it for the first time and it seems like it's broken. My field did not gain a fertilizer state at any time after the radish