American Units of Measurement System

GenXFarmer

American Units of Measurement System

Post by GenXFarmer »

Having the ability in game options to set the speed in mph and area in acres is great but only gets us halfway there. Need the ability to show proper units of measurement for crops and machine/trailer capacity (bushels), liquid fertilizer (gallons), dry fertilizer (pounds or tons), seed (pounds or units (yes, that's an odd one)) and bales (pounds).
Last edited by GenXFarmer on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
FarmerJDC

Re: American Units System

Post by FarmerJDC »

I agree 100 % I wish they'd take more time on American style things but ig they still haven't realized the importance of that. But they came to America for the big bud tractors. They could just Google images or go to the US websites for manufacturers to get what we use over here. But idk I'm not a tech guru
iB055

Re: American Units System

Post by iB055 »

100% Agreed.

I swear they get advice for American style farms from the oldest most traditional German farmer. The only American part of any of their "American" maps is the American flag.
FS22 / PC & PS4 Pro
Crazof

Re: American Units of Measurement System

Post by Crazof »

Liters is a unit of volume, pounds are a unit of mass.
PunkinFmr

Post by PunkinFmr »

Crazof wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:47 am Liters is a unit of volume, pounds are a unit of mass.
Pounds = weight
Slug/kg = mass
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

The pound or pound-mass is a unit of mass used in the imperial, United States customary and other systems of measurement. Various definitions have been used; the most common today is the international avoirdupois pound, which is legally defined as exactly 0.45359237 kilograms, and which is divided into 16 avoirdupois ounces.[1] The international standard symbol for the avoirdupois pound islb;[2] an alternative symbol is lbm[3] (for most pound definitions), # (chiefly in the U.S.), and ℔[4] or ″̶[5](specifically for the apothecaries' pound).

The unit is descended from the Roman libra (hence the abbreviation "lb"). The English word pound iscognate with, among others, German Pfund, Dutch pond, and Swedish pund. All ultimately derive from a borrowing into Proto-Germanic of the Latin expression lībra pondō ("a pound by weight"), in which the word pondō is the ablative case of the Latin noun pondus ("weight").[6]

Usage of the unqualified term pound reflects the historical conflation of mass and weight. This accounts for the modern distinguishing terms pound-mass and pound-force.

The slug is a derived unit of mass in the weight-based system of measures, most notably within the British Imperial measurement systemand in the United States customary measures system. Systems of measure either define mass and derive force or define a base force and derive a mass unit.[1] A slug is defined as the mass that is accelerated by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound (lbf) is exerted on it.
ace54858

Post by ace54858 »

GenXFarmer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:10 pm Having the ability in game options to set the speed in mph and area in acres is great but only gets us halfway there. Need the ability to show proper units of measurement for crops and machine/trailer capacity (bushels), liquid fertilizer (gallons), dry fertilizer (pounds or tons), seed (pounds or units (yes, that's an odd one)) and bales (pounds).
there was a mod that did that for fs 17 but only for pc but ya so agree would be so nice if they could add that option in even if it was as a mod or and update.
Farmer_Mike

Post by Farmer_Mike »

Keep in mind that America is the only developed country in the world that still uses the Imperial system. Maybe it would be better if they just got with the times and changed to the smarter system ;-) I mean even your Army uses the Metric system.

Personally I would rather Giants spend the time on more important things then worry about the extra code needed to make one small country audience happy. You must also keep in mind that if they separate all the measurements and weight system for each crop or product type then they need to do this for the rest of the world using the Imperial system now this is starting to be a waste of code and time I think.

I can not see how this is even a problem, in the last 8 - years of playing the game I have never even given the measurement system a second thought.
PC: LS11, LS13, LS15, LS17, LS19
PS4: LS17, LS19
Arrancar88

Post by Arrancar88 »

Metric system is so simple. You can literally use liters for everything you described and still know how much it is exactly without any confusion.
Having something in pounds, gallons or even bushels(I am sorry, but bushel looks hilarious and outdated) is just so confusing.
Also here we pretty much use kg/tons for everything you mentioned besides liquids. But yeah 1 liter= 1kg. I guess Giants use liters for everything so it's not confusing for some people.
But hey at least you drive on the right side of the road.
PC Steam
Farming since FS2009 :hi:
TedGlenn

Post by TedGlenn »

Litres/Gallons/Bushels would all work well as they are all volumes, as nothing changes other than converting litres to gallons/bushels depending on what your moving.

Pounds/Tons/tonnes/kg would be very hard to swap, (your into MR with this one) as differnt crops/materials/liquids have differnt weights, A full trailer of wheat will wieght differnt to OSR, Liquid fert wieghts alot more than just water etc, where as a litre of wheat is the same size as a litre of OSR, so its a nuteral unit across all.

Unit, now your talking, I dont know what you use Units in the US, but in the UK Units are used as a rate, i.e simular to Ibs/ac or Kg/Ha, normally used for Fert applicaitions, maybe seed rates as well,

Just because The US is the only offical Imerial Nation, doesnt mean that there are the only ones using it, the UK farmers still mainly use Pounds/gallons/acres, althou most paperwork is in metric
I'm on the right tractor baby,
I was born red and grey!
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

It's a simple units conversion table to code and should be expected in modern global software. Why change the speedo to read MPH in FS19 and nothing else? Bizarre. Either do it all the way or not at all.

Metric isn't more righteous and that entire system was corrupted when surnames were given to units of measurement. I'll take two George Washingtons of force please. :confusednew:

Want more FS19 sales in the USA? Know your customer. (Exhibit A - Great Plains planter is a coded as a "seeder"). Again, do it right or don't do it all. Half-donkey is no way to get through life or run a business.

Is this to be expected when final coding deadline coincides with Oktoberfest? :mrgreen:
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

The speed may read MPH in the overview, but in the JD I was using last night it still shows KPH
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

what's funny if this was an American company making this game we would have American Units of Measure and everyone in other country's would be complaining that liters and there unit of measure wasn't in the game..Just funny how some of us would like what we use in real life and you get jumped on for wanting it..and to tell people to change, why ,.this is what we been taught from the start, we learned it in school. seems like our unit of measure is doing really good, if it wasn't they would have changed it a long time ago.. So just remember that this is what we are taught and it's the only thing we know and it makes sense to us. same as for what you guys are taught makes sense to you. if you played this game and it only had bushels/pounds.etc.. you would be lost like when we play the game now... if everything in the world should be the same why are there so many different languages spoken, I love playing FS, been playing since fs13 so I'm use to the units of measure in the game. but it would be nice to have what was taught to us in school, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

frankly the units of measure don't mean anything as far as the game goes.
SirLANsalot

Post by SirLANsalot »

1,000l = 1 ton.

Looked that one up a long time ago, so its fairly easy to understand and say it. Like when my friends and I hook up 15 tippers and are hauling over 200,000l of stuff and wondering why the tractor is struggling up a hill. Well ya your hauling over 200 tons of stuff, of course the tractor is going to have a hard time moving it, its heavy!

The more annoying thing on the forums here is seeing people misspelling certain words....like Tyre instead of Tire.......