FPS Drop During combining

callumvincent1

Re: FPS Drop During combining

Post by callumvincent1 »

You all say its down to having a week card

but i run GTA V Battlefield 4 and many other high end games on ultra and do not drop frames as much as im dropping in FS19

When driving through the entire map i hit 60FPS But its only when im using a combine that i drop in frames
wouldnt say its down to my card?
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

I believe when you are combining in the cab view it’s the most graphical intensive part of the game.
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

There are two major issues I've been seeing with regard to frame drops. The first one is related to what used to be called ground response. Whenever there are several implements working a field (such as cultivators, plows, seeders, etc.), this seems to often cause a drop in frames or v-sync issues. As soon as multiple instances are eliminated, frames return to normal. This only seems to affect tools that perform soil related activities, multiple combines, spreaders or sprayers do not cause any problems. I'm assuming this is directly tied to physics calculations. Since there is no way to disable ground response any more (at least none that I'm aware of), I can't test this hypothesis.

The other issue seems to be related to particle physics (dust, dirt, etc.) and causes frame issues when there are many instances present at the same time. Unlike ground response, this is directly related to GPU stress. For example, I am not seeing this issue on max settings and scaling up to 200%, but anything higher than that and it does start messing with frames.
Rbk_3

Post by Rbk_3 »

mackintosh wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 am It's not a GPU issue, I'm seeing fps drops at times and I'm on a GTX 2080Ti. Just having two workers seeding a field is causing some frame sync problems. I suspect it's ground response that's at fault.
Yep 1080ti here and in cab view driving through the town on Ravenport I got drops into the low 50's wheather I am playing in 1080p or 4K and my GPU usage is max 60% so there is something screwy going on.
PC: 9600k/1080ti
Guitarman

Post by Guitarman »

Yep this has been in discussion on and off since launch. The weirdest part is there seems to be people with almost identical specs with only a few having issues.

A few things to try that seems to help; turn off v-sync, alt tab out of the game and back, and try reducing mirrors as some have said it's down to that.

I email Giants last week with a full description and links to each discussion I have been involved in with this issue. Got a pretty standard (possibly copy and paste) reply yesterday. But I get they are stretched at the moment so will follow it up shortly.
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice the size it needs to be!

PC Specs (upgraded at last!): Acer Orion 3000; i5-8400, 8Gb Ram, GTX 1050ti, Intel Optane 16gb
Arrancar88

Post by Arrancar88 »

FS games had always FPS issues. But FS19 seems to have the most of them, even though some people say it's the most optimized one, but I would say that title belongs to FS17. I could run FS17 maxed out without any issues and FPS was stable 60.
Issues that have been always here :
- Tabbing between vehicles lowers FPS slightly for half a sec
- Loading lag - usually most noticable when you drve around map. FPS will drop to 50 for half a sec and than go back to 60.
FS 19 Issues
- Longer the game runs more FPS drops you gonna notice(it's good to restart the game after an hour of playing)
- First person lag. Try looking as far as you can and you will notice it. FPS(usually 54-58) actually won't go back to 60, unless you lower camera so you will see only few meters ahead.
- Multiple vehicles working on same field. Pretty much what Mackintosh said.

FPS issues are annoying. I run custom settings, some stuff on very high, some high, some medium, some sliders at 120% some, at 200% etc... MSAA is killer in this game. 8xMSAA made my GTX 970 run at 100%, while in FS17 maxed out it was barely 60%. Also GTX 970 have some sort of issue with lighting in this game. My FPS was taking heavy hits when it was rainign during night and I had lights on(it was fine without lights or without rain though).

Also VRAM can be a problem. FS19 needs 3 GB VRAM for High settings.
PC Steam
Farming since FS2009 :hi:
jpm1

Post by jpm1 »

antonis78 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:02 pm Your gpu probably is not much powerful. When combining the animations adds additional load to graphics card especially incab. I have a vega 56 with ryzen 5 2600 x and 4k monitor and I have maxed out settings except AA which I have at x4 and I have solid 60 fps at 4k without any frame drop
agreed. i think your GPU is good, but not for a 2018 freshly released game maxed out. plus also check your logs for errors if you have bad FPS drops
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I'm running a 1050ti and i5-7300 at very high settings (though some sliders are lowered slightly) and I have a steady 60 FPS until harvesting, but it really only drops to maybe the low 50s so it's not a big deal to me. The biggest reason is that there's a TON of particles in the scene while harvesting. While most of the time my GPU usage is at ~80%, harvesting pushes it to the high 90's.
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
callumvincent1

Post by callumvincent1 »

It would be great to see if we can have a responce from giants itself

as it seems most of us are having the same issue with the same specs
Rbk_3

Post by Rbk_3 »

Guitarman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:57 pm Yep this has been in discussion on and off since launch. The weirdest part is there seems to be people with almost identical specs with only a few having issues.

A few things to try that seems to help; turn off v-sync, alt tab out of the game and back, and try reducing mirrors as some have said it's down to that.

I email Giants last week with a full description and links to each discussion I have been involved in with this issue. Got a pretty standard (possibly copy and paste) reply yesterday. But I get they are stretched at the moment so will follow it up shortly.
Why would you turn off vsync? I would rather have frame drops now and then rather than screen tearing.
PC: 9600k/1080ti
Guitarman

Post by Guitarman »

I haven't left it like that as I have a 60Hz monitor and get terrible screen tearing. However it does for what ever reason seem to help in extreme cases. And some may be happier with tearing than drops.

The discussion that came up on was with people getting drops to 30fps (I will find a link to it later when on my PC)
Optimist: Glass is half full
Pessimist: Glass is half empty

Engineer: The glass is twice the size it needs to be!

PC Specs (upgraded at last!): Acer Orion 3000; i5-8400, 8Gb Ram, GTX 1050ti, Intel Optane 16gb
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Even with vsync on there are frame sync issues. Every frame counter that I have shows a steady 60fps, yet there is a visible jitter. It’s an engine bug that’s been there since at least FS15. Some of these bugs won’t get fixed, however I hope they do something about ground response. This is definitely causing frame loss for a lot of people and has been an issue in FS17.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

I play on a monitor with gsync so I disable the frame limiter. This means that I have buttery smooth game play at very high and with most of the stuff higher than very high preset. I get 160+ fps on a new game. Once you've added all the equipment needed to run an arable operation I am at around 90-120 fps (3 or 4 tractors, 1 or 2 combines, a cultivator, seeder etc). In cab the lowest I've seen is around 70 fps. This is all ok for a gameplay point of view, except for the occasional lag that does not seem GPU related. The issue manifests itself every now and then as a lag spike for a few seconds where the fps drop and then everything is back to normal.

It only happens when driving in vehicles, so it could potentially be ground response related. When the game first released I only saw this maybe once per hour of gameplay. I see it a bit more often after getting the patches and it's pretty annoying. Not sure if that's the same lag that people are mentioning here, because the discussion seems to be a bit disjointed and all over the place :D

Edit... for those interested... you can modify your FS19 shortcut like this to disable the frame limiter

Add the flag to the end of the target

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Farming Simulator 2019\FarmingSimulator2019.exe" -disableFramerateLimiter

Not sure if you need development and console to be enabled in game.xml. I recommend doing that anyway.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Also with the development mode enabled you can enable or disable the frame limiter on the fly (F2 to show FPS, F3 to disable it). As theSeb said you need to have vsync disabled for it to work though.

Personally I get no screen tearing with or without vsync enabled. Perhaps it's because I run FS in windowed mode? (though still at the full resolution of the monitor - it just chops off a little bit of the game for the Windows taskbar, but that doesn't obscure anything).
Borealis

Post by Borealis »

Does disabling the frame limiter still cause weird behaviour like in FS17? I've got a G-Sync monitor as well, that runs at 1440p @144Hz and it would be great if I could run FS19 at higher than 60FPS!