Headlights and Lighting

gordon861

Headlights and Lighting

Post by gordon861 »

Is it just me that thinks the headlights on all vehicles are severely under-powered?

I'm currently driving around in an articulated truck and the main beam headlights see less distance than the length of my trailer. Is there anyway to increase this distance?

I can understand how early in the games development there may have been a limitation due to GPU power but modern cards should be able to handle better range on the lights.

Also, the day/night cycle seems to change very rapidly, maybe to rapidly.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
Eep

Re: Headlights and Lighting

Post by Eep »

Edit each vehicle's I3D and look for the <light> tag's "range" value and increase as desired.

Day/night light cycle is in data/maps/map*_environment.xml but there are a lot of sections.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

Thank you, it looks like this could take a long time. Might just do the regular stuff I use like the truck.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
Eep

Post by Eep »

Yea, that's what I did until I can make a mod that dynamically adds shadowcasting to in-range spotlights or, more likely, wait for someone else to do it. ;) Though I'll probably eventually just do it manually to every vehicle but it's kind of futile since an update will wipe out any changes to game files, annoyingly. Sure, I could back up my changes and overwrite the the updated files but I might be messing up something else then. Computers...love-hate relationship I have with them...

I also don't like the seemingly omnipresent light color of .85 .85 1 (more blue) vs. 1 1 1 (white) so a mod that changes that automatically would be nice too.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

I sort of hoped that there might be a global modifier that could be changed to x1.5 or something like a lot of the in game graphics settings that you can change like view range.

I also tried messing with the view distance settings to get rid of the large dark ring but it seemed to cause stuttering even though the graphics and cpu were nowhere near 100%. More messing at the weekend I think.
--------------
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

yeah, we need headlights like the mini bike has in 7 days to die
Moses195

Post by Moses195 »

Lights are 50 times better than fs17, but they dont shine FAR enough for me either.