Slot disappointment

vondeylenfarms

Slot disappointment

Post by vondeylenfarms »

So I'm bored messing around on the game (waiting for the patch to fix it) and I just realized something disappointing...with what I have now which is equipment and some barns I'm at 936 slots out of my allotted 1299. Looking at all the big equipment like potato harvesting and beet harvesting, they take up 38 slots not to mention what else i would need. In all other FS games I usually did it all...and I'm realizing in 19 I won't be able to. I was looking forward to making a awesome custom farm finally but thinking that will fall short also...I don't even have animal pens up yet!!
And before this turns into the ever so annoying PC vs Console just save it...I'm well aware and don't care, I like console and play other games...just think that whether the slot issue is Sony or Giants rule, it could have been better! FS19 is a great game and I'll enjoy it for awhile but it will fall short to fs17 as I'll hit my Max slot count quick before doing everything I would want and have...just my 2 cents... especially with all the great mods coming along with placeables and who knows about DLC's...maybe equipment could cost less slots giants? Something?
Vondeylen Farms Ohio, U.S.
1000 acres, family farm, huge Case IH guy(however mostly John Deere now)

Platform-PS5
Welker Farms over 1000hrs
Onto FS22!
Large JD Farm with corn and soybeans always looking for multiplayer
https://www.youtube.com/user/vondeylen22
BreadedVirus

Re: Slot disappointment

Post by BreadedVirus »

vondeylenfarms wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49 pm just think that whether the slot issue is Sony or Giants rule
SONY :this:

I am pretty sure if it was up to GIANTS the consoles would have more slots or none at all....
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Guil

Post by Guil »

It's not anyone's rule really but the lack of extra RAM.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

Guil wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:10 pm It's not anyone's rule really but the lack of extra RAM.
This. It has been said time and again, here and elsewhere. “Slots” is an abstract way of representing the way in-game objects (maps and equipment) consume console resources (RAM, VRAM, GPU, CPU, etc). When you are out of resources, that’s all the console can handle. That’s it. No conspiracy. No playing favorites for PC. Just reality.

The reason you are more limited with ‘19 than with previous versions is because there is more detail and improved graphics, which require more resources. Yet, the console you are playing is the exact same one you played ‘17 on, and maybe even ‘15, with the same fixed set of resources. So, expecting it to do more in the way of details and graphics quality, with the same resources isn’t realistic.

I played ‘13 on Xbox 360. I played it a lot and had a blast, but I ran into slot limitations. It was frustrating at times, but you learn strategies for dealing. (More than one of the same tractor or trailer rather than different ones, etc.) I was fortunate enough to have the PC option as well, so I made the transition for access to more mods and no slot limits. But the simplicity of the console is still great at times; I also have ‘15 for Xbox One for that reason.

Moral of the story: play whatever platform you like and enjoy it. Just recognize the relative advantages and disadvantages, accept them, and don’t “blame” Giants or Microsoft or Sony for them. You’ll have more fun that way! *thumbsup*
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Well its 10 times better then what it was in fs13 and fs15 xbox 360. If I remember correctly, you didnt even have 200 slots, probably just a tad over 150. You hardly had enough to run animals plus crops, even then you could only have like 2 or 3 tractors.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

Well that all makes sense...I'm not making fun or blaming anyone...just looking for the reason. I guess the big issue is in 19 we started out with alot of slots used already...but if it's because of the graphics and what not then I guess it is what it is...

Platform-PS5
Onto FS22!
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

BreadedVirus wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:03 pm SONY :this:

I am pretty sure if it was up to GIANTS the consoles would have more slots or none at all....
:lol: You were kidding, right?

It is totally up to Giants how they program their software for the given hardware. However, consoles were never designed for simulation software, they excel at what they were intended for- fast paced action games. Giants are trying their best to fit a square peg in a round hole. Unfortunately that means there are limits.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

A long time out of Consoles. Last one I had was the Nintendo Wii. Can you upgrade them to add more slots?
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
trogladitez

Post by trogladitez »

Guil wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:10 pm It's not anyone's rule really but the lack of extra RAM.
You do realise that the PS4/X1 have 8gb ram and the X1X has 12gb.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

I am guessing if your farm is anything like a lot of peoples, you have gone for random new bits of equipment, tractors etc.

I tended to buy a lot of identical equipment to keep slots down in 17 but have been buying random stuff in 19.

Also I would put money on modders bringing out maps with more free slots than giants. Mercury Farms on 17 had over 1000 free slots.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

PoggleBox wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:21 pm A long time out of Consoles. Last one I had was the Nintendo Wii. Can you upgrade them to add more slots?
They aren’t physical slots. It’s just Giants way of explaining available in game memory.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

trogladitez wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 pm You do realise that the PS4/X1 have 8gb ram and the X1X has 12gb.
Whatever number you put to it that’s still a limit on what can be supported. PC users aren’t without slot limitations, they just have to manage it themselves depending on the capabilities of their particular system setup. If I put my graphics options on ultra, bought 1 of every vehicle and equipment available and hired a bunch of workers in the same area I’d probably see single figure FPS if I was lucky.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

trogladitez wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 pm
You do realise that the PS4/X1 have 8gb ram and the X1X has 12gb.
The XboneX has 12GB GDDR5 shared RAM. This is for both the GPU and to function as normal system RAM. In comparison, my gaming laptop has 8 GB of GDDR5 memory dedicated to the GPU itself and then I have oodles of system RAM too. Latest desktop graphics cards have even more than that.

People expect gameplay to be smooth on consoles and hence why you have slots, because otherwise in a game like FS, you could make the game not smooth by having too much stuff on the map. You can watch what happens to your FPS as you add equipment to the game on a PC because now there is more stuff for the game engine to draw. The same thing happens on a console, but clearly there are levels of gameplay performance that must be met and hence why you have slots to ensure that the lowest level is not breached.
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:24 pm I am guessing if your farm is anything like a lot of peoples, you have gone for random new bits of equipment, tractors etc.

I tended to buy a lot of identical equipment to keep slots down in 17 but have been buying random stuff in 19.

Also I would put money on modders bringing out maps with more free slots than giants. Mercury Farms on 17 had over 1000 free slots.
Seriously? I guess when I downloaded maps I never paid attention to slot difference from stock maps. I guess I'll wait and see. And yes I random machines but I'll have to buy duplicates for slot purposes

Platform-PS5
Onto FS22!
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

Get rid of the useless hills and buildings that add nothing to the actual gameplay in Ravenport except taking up valuable space that would be better used for our placeable buildings. Seriously, what can I do on the hills or in the towns, nothing. Make it another field.