Crop Yields

allstops

Crop Yields

Post by allstops »

Scope
Setting up a new farm from scratch is never easy, and with FS19 options to start with just a pile of money and nothing else it makes the mountain of choices overwhelming. Since I am on PC for FS19 rather than Xbox, I decided to create a test profile, load it with stupid money ($250m – because I can), and do some testing. This simple spreadsheet is the result so far of a work in progress, but I think it’s at a point worth sharing with anyone interested.
The Goal is to help the user make business decisions about which fields and crops will be most profitable. I tried to make it as ‘scientific’ as possible, therefore there are variables included and excluded as outlined below:
Inclusions
  • Settings - Crop destruction set off, lime/plow, and fertilizer states are on.
  • Test Field - All crops planted in an unaltered field 15 on the Felsbrunn map. Selected for its relatively small size, rectangular shape, reasonably easy working area for workers (I vastly underestimated the incompetency of workers), and nice scenery for me to look at while testing.
  • Equipment Condition - Each piece of equipment was repaired after each use to ensure no loss due to condition.
  • Field Prep - Each crop was planted after applying lime and subsoiling/cultivating ensuring that each crop was planted with equal field preparation.
  • Work Method - Most work was done by workers and I just came in afterward and finished the bits where they missed. I verified once the crop was growing that the entire field was planted.
  • Fertilization - Each crop was fertilized at planting by the sower, and again during the 2nd growth stage to 100%.
  • Weeding - Each crop was weeded to 0%.
  • Harvesting - No crop was left in the soil, 100% of each test planting was harvested.
Exclusions
  • Fertilizer/Lime quantity – unlike seeders which don’t put seed in the ground outside of field boundaries, or inside if there is already seed (of the same type) there, spreaders will continue to spray fertilizer anywhere they are, field or not, fertilized or not. For this reason, I didn’t measure fertilizer because overlap depending on field size vs. spreader reach, cleaning up after sloppy workers, and just the simple fact that probably anyone is more efficient at spreading fertilizer.
  • Crop Value – since this changes from time to time I figured it was futile, maybe at some point I’ll take time to collect data and graph each yield to prices, but the quantities are there, a little calculator work is required to figure out the rest.
  • Mods – None whatsoever, not even my preorder Mahindra Retriever.
  • Expanding Fields - I did not take into account any potential for expanding fields – just too many variables.
Assumptions
  • Maps/Fields - It is assumed that there is no difference in productivity based on field, or map when the field is properly prepared, and the crop is adequately cared for. That if an x acre field produces y crop, a 2x acre field will produce 2y of the same crop cared for in the same way. This seems promising based on my test in Field 16 which was close to projected quantities (see spreadsheet).
  • Equipment – It is assumed that there is no difference in yield based on equipment used so long as it is appropriate for the task (Amazone planter vs. Seedhawk etc.).
  • All figures are based off a normal mode game, if the seed price is different in the other modes you can easily change the purchase cost in the excel spreadsheet.
  • I got the field sizes from a google search, let me know if one of the sizes is wrong.
How it works
  • In the spreadsheet, select the map from the Map dropdown. In the current state I only have the base game maps (Ravensport and Felsbrunn).
  • Select the field number from the Field drop down list.
  • The spreadsheet should predict your seed usage and yield within a reasonable margin of error!
  • Use the spreadsheet to evaluate field purchases before making them for maximum profitability and before deciding what to plant and what equipment to buy.
Miscellaneous Notes
  • If I were to do it again, I would turn off autosave and only save after lime and plow, then sow and harvest, exit and come back in again (just in case anyone wants to try to build on this base).
  • I’m not done with this yet, I still plan to do grass and wood chips as well as other forage crops, but I will be away from FS19 for a little bit while moving so putting this out there for anyone who can use it and feel free to add on and modify the spreadsheet and share as you wish.
    I’m stuck at sugar cane (hence not filled in). Trying to harvest the sugar cane has proven to be the most frustrating experience I have ever had in FS. Every time I hire a worker he/she goes off in a random direction. When they do go into the field they keep starting and stopping all the way down the row, and instead of turning around try to back up all the way the whole length only to get confused and start heading off in a random direction again. Anyway, assuming that will get fixed by the time I get back on and maybe it will work then, for now I have just wasted 3 hours of my life in frustration. ~rant off~
  • Bear in mind that this ‘calculator’ may not be perfect accurate, but it should at least give you a relative comparison of different crops.

[The extension xlsx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Matt_S

Re: Crop Yields

Post by Matt_S »

That is a big effort bud. Well done!

Personally, I go for a different approach because as you have mentioned there are SO many variables with this. One for example is distance from the field to the (averagely) best sell point (or in some materials, the only sell point). So fuel costs, wear and tear etc come into it. Not to mention time, for people that don't like using workers, traveling a long distance to a sell point is using up time that you could be harvesting (for example).

So in short, I tend to go on location vs real life... I live near lots of farms and farmers tend to put certain crops in certain locations for very deliberate reasons, like sheep on a hilly field because it's fine for the sheep but difficult to work a heavy slope doing crop farming (in game example, oats near the horses for feed).

Just trying to immerse myself in the make believe world of FS lol, but for all the entrepreneur farm builders out there this tool is very useful!

Seriously impressed to see the effort you have put into this, seriously... COMMITTED!
TedGlenn

Post by TedGlenn »

That very interesting, I'll print that out and have it to hand ready when playing, Many Thanks

Strange that wheat yields lees that barley, you would think it would be the other way round,
I'm on the right tractor baby,
I was born red and grey!
allstops

Post by allstops »

TedGlenn wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm That very interesting, I'll print that out and have it to hand ready when playing, Many Thanks

Strange that wheat yields lees that barley, you would think it would be the other way round,
A print would be useful, but I think the real benefit is being able to use it to evaluate your cost of crop in the ground and projected yield of any field on the base maps.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

It may be worth comparing to the results here: https://www.reddit.com/r/farmingsimulat ... it-android

Would be interesting to compare and contrast the results and conclusions for verification.
allstops

Post by allstops »

Matt_S wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:57 am That is a big effort bud. Well done!

Personally, I go for a different approach because as you have mentioned there are SO many variables with this. One for example is distance from the field to the (averagely) best sell point (or in some materials, the only sell point). So fuel costs, wear and tear etc come into it. Not to mention time, for people that don't like using workers, traveling a long distance to a sell point is using up time that you could be harvesting (for example).

So in short, I tend to go on location vs real life... I live near lots of farms and farmers tend to put certain crops in certain locations for very deliberate reasons, like sheep on a hilly field because it's fine for the sheep but difficult to work a heavy slope doing crop farming (in game example, oats near the horses for feed).

Just trying to immerse myself in the make believe world of FS lol, but for all the entrepreneur farm builders out there this tool is very useful!

Seriously impressed to see the effort you have put into this, seriously... COMMITTED!
You raise some good points, all things that should be factored into your business decisions. This is just merely a tool to hopefully help with some of those choices. Many of the reasons you mentioned are exactly why I am so happy to be able to start from scratch in FS19 and pick the fields I want to start my farm in rather than being stuck with what the maps have as default.

In a bizarre way it was nice to be able to just give myself a ton of money and try a bunch of different equipment that I'll never be able to buy in my regular profile. I think I have bought about $20 million in machinery for this test (efficiency was not the goal), whenever I needed a new implement that had to be towed to the field, I just bought a new tractor to save myself having to drive over and fetch it. I think I have about 15 different tractors. I should gather them all together and take a screen shot or something as it's just beyond crazy. Coming from console where that wasn't an option and my FS17 farm never got much beyond 'medium' equipment playing with the big sprayers and tractors was neat.
allstops

Post by allstops »

parad0x177 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:50 pm It may be worth comparing to the results here: https://www.reddit.com/r/farmingsimulat ... it-android

Would be interesting to compare and contrast the results and conclusions for verification.
I searched for this info several times before I decided to take this on myself :hmm: I guess I could have saved myself a bunch of time had I found it first. Just doing a quick check of Wheat, he says he got 28,379 liters out of field 19, my spreadsheet predicts 27,839 which I would put within the margin of error (+/-5%). I am definitely going to do some more testing, probably need to buy field 19 and see if I get the same results as him. Thanks for the link, it helps make it feel more scientific.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

All you need to do is print out the fruit types tables in the game to see the exact yield per crop values.

Now you can do all calculations that you could ever want.
In terms of square metres and acres... 1 acre = 4046.85642 sqm

growthstatetime is in milliseconds (normal growth speed) and how long it takes to reach the next state. I cannot remember the multipliers for slow and fast growth.

Code: Select all

name="wheat"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.05"
harvest literPerSqm="0.89"
growthStateTime="24000000" 
windrow litersPerSqm="3.68"

name="barley" 
seedUsagePerSqm="0.05"
harvest literPerSqm="0.96"
windrow name="straw" litersPerSqm="3.68"

name="oat" 
seedUsagePerSqm="0.05"
harvest literPerSqm="0.57"
windrow name="straw" litersPerSqm="3.68"

name="cotton"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.05"
harvest literPerSqm="0.497"

name="canola"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.02"
harvest literPerSqm="0.58"

name="sunflower"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.03"
harvest literPerSqm="0.52"

name="soybean" 
seedUsagePerSqm="0.03"
harvest literPerSqm="0.45"

name="maize"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.04
harvest literPerSqm="0.92"

name="potato"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.38"
harvest literPerSqm="4.13"

name="sugarBeet"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.04"
harvest literPerSqm="5.78"

name="poplar" 
seedUsagePerSqm="0.15" 
harvest literPerSqm="2.82"
growthStateTime="72000000" 

name="sugarCane" 
seedUsagePerSqm="1.20"
harvest literPerSqm="11.34"
growthStateTime="48000000"

allstops

Post by allstops »

theSeb wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:03 pm All you need to do is print out the fruit types tables in the game to see the exact yield per crop values.

growthstatetime is in milliseconds (normal growth speed) and how long it takes to reach the next state. I cannot remember the multipliers for slow and fast growth.

name="wheat"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.05"

I guess I have a lot of catching up to do coming from console to PC, what is the name of the file this info came from? Just wondering if there is other amazing information in that file that could be useful. Also, the gears are spinning in my head if one could change the harvest literPerSqm quantity and would the game spit out harvest in that quantity? I’m imagining filling up a semi tipper in one row. Not sure why I would, but I could sure envision a GrayStillPlays video doing something rediculous like that.
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

Yeah I can too...
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!
Sgt_UberGrunt

Post by Sgt_UberGrunt »

allstops wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:58 am
theSeb wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:03 pm All you need to do is print out the fruit types tables in the game to see the exact yield per crop values.

name="wheat"
seedUsagePerSqm="0.05"

I guess I have a lot of catching up to do coming from console to PC, what is the name of the file this info came from? Just wondering if there is other amazing information in that file that could be useful. Also, the gears are spinning in my head if one could change the harvest literPerSqm quantity and would the game spit out harvest in that quantity? I’m imagining filling up a semi tipper in one row. Not sure why I would, but I could sure envision a GrayStillPlays video doing something rediculous like that.

The file is called maps_fruitTypes.xml found in the maps directory under the Data folder in the game install pathway, and with a simple xml editor looks like a lot of fun could be had with that...
niggle44

Post by niggle44 »

I appreciate your dedication to creating this, but a bit too scientific for a sim game ??. Are you studying business management at college :)
Bigfilmguy

Post by Bigfilmguy »

niggle44 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 am I appreciate your dedication to creating this, but a bit too scientific for a sim game ??. Are you studying business management at college :)
Do you think real farmers just pick a field because it looks good???? I'm sure most real farmers would calculate this sort of information before buying new land, and to be fair I'm sure most farmers have to understand at least the basics of business management.

Also, you said it yourself, a *sim* game. Not an arcade game. Now the game is a lot harder, you actually do have to think about these things before buying land. (Not a moan btw, loving the game!) I know I'll be using this spreadsheet.
Viva la Valtra!
Intel I5-9400F, 16GB DDR4, GTX1660 6GB, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD
PS4 and proud!
Thanks to all modders, we do really love you, even though we don't always show it.
Sinjorenbloed

Post by Sinjorenbloed »

I've always used to work my field by doing the following steps:

1) sow field with a sow machine that also fertilise (50% fertilized at that point)
2) Wait on the 2nd growth stage
3) fertilize again to get to 100% fertilized

Now last time i did it sligtly different. I did the following steps:
1) sow field with a sow machine that also fertilise (50% fertilized at that point)
2) Immediately fertilize again to get to 100% fertilzed.

By doing it that way it seemed i got a bigger yield than waiting on the 2nd growth stage to fertilize again. Can anyone confirm this? Or was it just luck. Conditions in both scenarios were the same: same crop, same field, same soil-status, 0% weeds, etc...
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

You can’t fertilize twice in the same growth state...
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!