Crop rotation?

theSeb

Re: Crop rotation?

Post by theSeb »

Yes. it would be 16,000,000 values. Sorry. I am getting old and senile. The density maps are in fact exactly what you just said... bits.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

So you're saying their clever and efficient method of coding field information can tell them the current state of a field, fruit, growth, harvest, cultivated, perimeter, owner, price, size. But, adding one attribute (previousCrop) would require a redesign or make it all inefficient and possibly bring the game to its knees. Ok, sounds good, I guess crop rotation will have to be the players own enforced rule.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Yes, it's as efficient as they needed it to be for their gameplay design. Why add space for something that you are not planning to add? Also the current system can be expanded efficiently as seen by the addition of weeds, ploughing layers and lime. However, to do that you need global level changes, so it's difficult for a mod to add those changes without requiring every mod map to be specially modified, which will reduce the potential popularity of such a mod.

You are the one who came up with some "genius level" suggestions in this thread, so I would stop being so insulting towards the people who wrote the game and eat a little bit of humble pie instead.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

No problem theSeb. I understand senility first hand being 56 years old. lol. I for one really do appreciate your contributions and also thank the developers for their hard work. It's fascinating to try to work out how the game has been designed and ponder over how I might have done things differently given the opportunity.
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

I'll take some humble pie. I'm just a small company of one person who can't compete with the massive budget Giants has at their disposal.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

No worries then. 👌👍
Chad

Post by Chad »

If I may inquire, why would you want that in the game? Different farmers, different growing regions, different rotations. Or no rotations at all, (i.e. continual wheat ground). The best option would seem to be to just keep track yourself, the way real farmers do
Husqvarna TS 352

Post by Husqvarna TS 352 »

Chad wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:52 pm If I may inquire, why would you want that in the game? Different farmers, different growing regions, different rotations. Or no rotations at all, (i.e. continual wheat ground). The best option would seem to be to just keep track yourself, the way real farmers do
It's realistic. In most places you leave your fields for a season letting the ground regenerate (grass grows back, soil composition is restored to a healthier state) meaning that the soil is better to seed into for the next crop. That's why some fields you see look like they are dead because the stubble has gone grey, but actually it's the farmer leaving it for a season. That's also why some grain farmers have flocks of sheep to keep the grass down while the fields are left for a season.
G'day
Chad

Post by Chad »

I guess it just depends on how you farm. Gray stubble where we farm means it was sprayed to keep weeds down. We do some organic, so we actually encourage growth in the stubble, then turn it under for green manure. Or recently, we started drilling sun hemp immediately after wheat harvest. Grows amazingly fast, and puts a lot of nitrogen into the ground.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Chad wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:52 pm If I may inquire, why would you want that in the game? Different farmers, different growing regions, different rotations. Or no rotations at all, (i.e. continual wheat ground). The best option would seem to be to just keep track yourself, the way real farmers do
Because it would be nice if the game punished you for not rotating crops.
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Another example of every farm is different around the world. Here, corn is planted year after year and is called corn-on-corn. No one could ever financially afford to let a field go fallow for a year.
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
NateS

Post by NateS »

Because there are so many different ways of rotating, or not rotating, crops around the world, I believe it is best to leave this up to each player as apposed to Giants forcing us into whichever rotation model they choose.

As stated before, you can do crop rotation on your own.
PC & PS4
deddycantshoot

Post by deddycantshoot »

Cotton, soybeans, over and over, corn for silage,grass every now and again.with an occasional crop of oats and or canola.
Frick

Post by Frick »

theSeb wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:22 am
Because it would be nice if the game punished you for not rotating crops.
Thanks Seb!
My reason spot on.
Also it could be nice if the field could have been used for pasture when idle.
hugassi

Post by hugassi »

which will be in your opinion the most realistic recommended option to follow as crop rotation compared to reality to try to simulate! since the game does not yet consider this option.
GIANTS Software: Partner Program :hi: