Subsoiler ... confusing!

REDSTER-85

Re: Subsoiler ... confusing!

Post by REDSTER-85 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:27 am

FS17 it was lemkin, a 4m plow that worked well with lemkin 8 m tool that had 2 3 point hiches. As for 19 3 subsoilers had 3 point hitch for planters/seeders that didn't cultivate while working.
Playing games because they are fun. Watching movies because they are entertaining.
Long live plug n play.

SirLANsalot

Post by SirLANsalot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 am

So in FS19 the only time you ever need to plow after harvesting is when doing Potato/Sugar Beets/Sugar Cane and Corn. Otherwise you only need to "plow" the field once (after buying it) and those do just that. They count as if you "plowed" the field, they also cultivate the field at the same time too (so you can plant right afterwards). As "plowing" and cultivating are considered the same when meeting the requirements to plant with a normal seeder or planter. They are two different field states, so in terms of needing to fertilize you can plow (with an actual plow) then fert then cultivate then fert again before seeding.

So turning on the "plowing" requirement in the options menu is not the same as it was on FS17 where you NEEDED to do it regardless of what you put down, it was just every 3 harvests you needed to do it. That has now been pushed to the Lime requirement.

GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:10 am

SirLANsalot wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 am
So in FS19 the only time you ever need to plow after harvesting is when doing Potato/Sugar Beets/Sugar Cane and Corn.
And sunflowers
PS4 & PC Video Game Farmer

Juls

Post by Juls » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:41 am

So basically the subsoiler will remove the “require ploughing “ state the same as a plough would but it leaves a cultivated top. That’s what it does in fs19.

In real life a subsoiler is used to break up the soil structure either ready for deep cultivation or to remove a plough or hoeing pan.

It tends to bring up big lumps and make a general mess so you’d rarely be able to go straight in and plant after subsoiling unless it was drill maybe.

Generally ploughing is used to bury trash like grass or a cover crop so it will decompose more quickly. In some cases it is used to allow for deep cultivation such as for root crops. In other situations it’s just to switch the topsoil over each crop rotation.

PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:50 am

You can't use a subsoiler to do a ploughing contract though ....
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10

DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 am

Juls wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:41 am
So basically the subsoiler will remove the “require ploughing “ state the same as a plough would but it leaves a cultivated top. That’s what it does in fs19.

In real life a subsoiler is used to break up the soil structure either ready for deep cultivation or to remove a plough or hoeing pan.

It tends to bring up big lumps and make a general mess so you’d rarely be able to go straight in and plant after subsoiling unless it was drill maybe.

Generally ploughing is used to bury trash like grass or a cover crop so it will decompose more quickly. In some cases it is used to allow for deep cultivation such as for root crops. In other situations it’s just to switch the topsoil over each crop rotation.
[/quote

Yes absolutely agreed to all this.

It is equally affirming and alarming that there is one other person on this forum who has seen both a plough and a subsoiler work in real life, and who is pointing out the really, really, bizarre way that one is represented as the other in this game.

In the meantime everyone (including me) carry on with TRACTOR MOVIE !!

W1der

Post by W1der » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:54 am

Some quality posts in here ... thank you guys!
[Win10] Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz / GTX1070 Dual OC 8GB GDDR5 / 32GB 2133MHz DDR4 SDRAM

Guil

Post by Guil » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:06 am

Juls wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:41 am
It was the same way in FS17 with the subsoilers in the Kuhn and bigbud dlc.

Juls

Post by Juls » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:59 am

I’m hoping now Giants has split up some of the cultivators in the store that come 21 or whatever they will make the cultivators only capable of what they are in real life, and thus require different cultivation for different types of crops. (I think getting too deep into soil types just yet might be beyond many gamers)

More importantly remove the ability to drive a planter straight over ploughing... that really annoys me because short of having a rotary hoe or power harrow attached to the planter, planting directly into ploughing would be basically impossible (same deal for subsoiler too really.)

Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Juls wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:59 am

More importantly remove the ability to drive a planter straight over ploughing... that really annoys me
No need for you to do it then, also no need for the ability to be taken away really.

W1der

Post by W1der » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:05 pm

@Juls / Rasping rabbit ...

There is no need to argue this ...
Basically what all of us want is the possibility to choose the reality level on a more detailed basis than the game offers today.

Some actually want hard core realism (a real simulator) whilst others just want to earn loads of money the easiest way possible (and everything in between).

I find it interesting to learn more about farming in general while playing a game.
Therefor it is kind of disappointing that the game offers "unrealistic features".

The easy/medium/hard mode took a step in the right direction with FS19 ... hopefully this will be developed even more for future versions of the game!
[Win10] Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz / GTX1070 Dual OC 8GB GDDR5 / 32GB 2133MHz DDR4 SDRAM

Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Actually wasn’t arguing, just pointing out that the ability to play the harder more realistic way is still in the game if you choose to play that way.

But as you say, some people like the easy way, so it wouldn’t be fair to them to take the easy option away really.

Juls

Post by Juls » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah i guess if I wanted to get serious about all the things that have been altered from realty to suit “computer game balancing” I’d probably go mad and shoot myself. I do enjoy the game just find all the cultivation implementations to have been horrifically simplified if not completely unrecognizable from reality. I guess that the primary market is not people interested in farming.

Corstaad

Post by Corstaad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:12 pm

I'm confused why I cant use any of the other options as tillage for corn and not remove the plow status. Its extremely odd you have to use a moldboard plow or a subsoiler after each harvest. Looks like another FS19 feature thats a oversight to be honest.

Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:22 pm

You can use whatever you like but you will get a lower yield until you use a plow or Subsoiler.