question about squared bales

jpm1

question about squared bales

Post by jpm1 »

Hi, somebody can explain to me the point, i mean in real life, of buying squared bales equipment. i mean the equipment for these is much more expensive. so what's the point. i'm hesitating about which equipment to buy. but as i play in a realistic way, i want to know
Rasping rabbit

Re: question about squared bales

Post by Rasping rabbit »

The only reasons I can think of is they are easier to collect, stack and transport. Plus they don’t roll away if you are baling on a hill
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

The square bales are denser and weigh more than the round ones irl (even though they weigh the same in game).
I remember watching my dad (many years ago mind) unloading the first high density square bales delivered to the farm and the tractor we had was at its limit trying to get them off the wagon. No such issues with round bales as they just rolled off the delivery wagon with a quick reverse and sudden stop! :lol:
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Also manpower and speed is a factor. A big square baler with one operator will cover probably what it would take 3 round balers and 3 operators to do in the same amount of time.
PS4
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

canadafarms wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:45 pm Also manpower and speed is a factor. A big square baler with one operator will cover probably what it would take 3 round balers and 3 operators to do in the same amount of time.
Ah yeah never thought of that. You don’t need to stop after every bale to unload.
jpm1

Post by jpm1 »

i know my dad used squared bales for his chicken, and ducks. but the bales where much smaller than what we have in game. they were 1/2 smaller. in that case it sounds totally logical. as a seller won't sell you a huge rounded bale for that. idk, maybe an obscure profitability reason. agricultors are so much under pressure nowadays, they try to make it profitable by any means ??
BullFarmer

Post by BullFarmer »

In real life they are typically used for different things.
Generally speaking, square balers are mostly used for hay and straw. They work much faster as the operator doesn’t have to stop to unload each bale.
Also they are much easier and more efficient to stack and transport.

Round bales are mainly used for grass silage as round silage bales are easier to feed out with many bale feeders, plus the round baling system suits the combination baler/wrappers well.
Playing on PS4 and PC.
I7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX960 2Gb graphics.

Farmer/tractor driver in real life.
PoggleBox

Post by PoggleBox »

Over here, the local pig farmer keeps pigs in a barn which has 2 levels the lower level is brick built with a wooden roof that is the floor for the upper level. The upper level is open to the elements at the walls. Square straw bales are stacked in the upper level and used from the inside out. They last all winter. So the upper walls are made of straw which insulates the place in winter. By summer they are all gone so there is a nice cooling airflow through the barn. Years ago it used to be hand sized square bales now it is the large dense ones.
Platform : PC
i7 7700k@5.0 GTX1070Ti 32Gb DDR4, 500Gb M.2, 4TB across multiple SSD's, Windows 10
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

As far as the game goes, square bales are easier to stack, more bales fit on the auto load trailer, you don't have to stop the process to unload every bale, and the bales don't roll away when baling on a hill.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

In game only...

Round bales:
Equipment is cheap and good for starting.

Square bales:
Square bale auto collector transport has twice the size, Kuhn square baler has the faster speed, auto unloading function, bale forks can handle more than two bales.
Good for end game, since the equipment is more expensive.

In real life...

No idea :chinese:
jpm1

Post by jpm1 »

as i had a nice price for my barley i diecided to go for the rounded bales equipment tonight. it pays well, but needs to be done from A to Z. as workers aren't available for that job. but you can make a nice 20 - 30k bonus over the harvesting. i came to the conclusion that squared bales are interesting only if you own a very big exploitation. no stops, biggers storage machines. if you have a small farm the rounded bales are enough. in case you wondered with a normal price 8 rounded bales pay ~ 2500€. which IMO is interesting
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

Mow all the grass around your fields, bale it and then wrap it for silage bales. I owned field 8 & 11 on ravenport. I could get about 75 bales from the "extra" grass around them. We'll worth the effort I thought.
jpm1

Post by jpm1 »

thanks for the info
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Square bales are nice, what would be cool is if we could get a constant round baler, you don't need to stop, plus most are baler wrapper combos
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
RogsR35UK

Post by RogsR35UK »

I prefer the square balers due to the ease of use (no need to manually unload). The big drawback currently is the need for a ridiculously powerful tractor to tow the baler at a decent speed. Usually use a JD 8400!!