Is anyone still playing On FS17?

BulletBill

Re: Is anyone still playing On FS17?

Post by BulletBill »

It seems daft how many of us are saying how many aspects of FS17 we would like in FS19.

Each new title of the game there have always been 1 or 2 default aspects of the base game that we miss. (Like the FS13 milk tanker that drove to your farm to collect the milk, or AI traffic you could pick up with a telehandler and place on a mountaintop and watch them try and make there way back)

But pretty much 90% we were happy enough with the base game and looked forward to mods to increase our enjoyment.

But with FS19 it is not just 1 or 2 aspects, it is many we are preferring still from FS17. On top of that because FS19 was rushed out too early it has the typical bugs and issues that sort of game has.

It's any bodies guess how long or if ever we get the FS19 we should have, and by that I mean a general improvement in all areas and stable.

So as to fit in I shall now call myself "Troll BB"...

:biggrin2: :lol:
Lindydanny

Post by Lindydanny »

Wow... Even BB...

P.S.: Absolutely love your work, sir. Thank you.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Lindydanny wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm Wow... Even BB...

P.S.: Absolutely love your work, sir. Thank you.
Thank you,

It's ok I'm as shocked myself not to like next instalment of FS series.

I've been playing it since the FS11 Demo. Not once did I ever go back or feel this dis-interested in a FS game.

It really does make me sad as Farm Sim has been such a big part of my life.

But FS19 is just lacking something, or the way it feels is just wrong. Never had that feeling with any other version.

A little part of me hopes things will improve enough to get my interest back, but knowing what is likely to be GIANTS highest priority I doubt it.

For me I'm enjoying making my own personal map project for FS17. Even with it's outdated graphics it still gives me plenty of enjoyment.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 amIt really does make me sad as Farm Sim has been such a big part of my life.

But FS19 is just lacking something, or the way it feels is just wrong. Never had that feeling with any other version.
I believe that is also true for a considerable amount of us. FS is a big part of our life.

But it feels like Giants is not interested in fans of their game like us. They see us like ducks in the bag. They already have us and won't loose any time soon. Hence, they improve the game on the parts which will lure new players instead of satisfying die hard fans.

Like those visual improvements. I mean they sacrificied so much to just make things look better. But we needed a game that works for our joy not just looks better.

And there is this unbelievable fact that probably no one at Giants plays this game as an actual FS player. I mean can you think of any real FS player who wouldn't notice the inconvenience on the "all white" HUD or the tractor icon stupidly sits on the top left corner of the screen or like a thousand things similar to those. Or the bugs in combines for example. I mean if you won't test the riding height of a grain header while working or the auger if it works with all in game trailers then what else would you test? Ohh, and that lighting engine. I won't even get started with that freak...

At the end of the day, they don't understand the pain of us and only care about luring new players.

This may look and sound wise on a business perspective but I really don't think a game can survive only on new players for decades. It will eventually need a fan base that will always preorder and never stop playing it. Giants is killing that now. I just hope they notice that before it is too late.
PS5 / FS22
JD92

Post by JD92 »

Yeah.. lone oak with seasons.. waiting seasons for fs19 to get in there
Sir Ironoak

Post by Sir Ironoak »

I don't know if this thread makes me sad or glad.

I was thinking I was one of the very few very strange little people that was hanging on to "the old". But truth be told, I seem to share my feelings for FS19 with a lot of you.

FS17, has a much better "feel"! Sounds better and creating a much better dynamic feeling with changing enginesounds as you drive something heavy up a hill. Offcourse, this has to do with a lot of absolutely great mods, such as MR and Ground Respons and all that they're called.

But also, Season's makes every day in-game count in a completely different way. Everyday is "important" in the sence that you really need to get this done before the seaseons change again. Without it... the planning and much of the simulation-feel och the game goes away.

Maybe most of all... the maps! Frontier Design's maps are crazy great and I love all of them! Pure quality!
But also the Welker Farms map that makes use of another absolutely great mod: Contractor mod! Using that, on Welker Farm is maybe the most fun I've hade in the game, managing my workers, having them go different places to do different jobs with the Courseplay mod, is... simply a lot of fun!

But, I do play some on FS19, just to check out wich mods has comeout, and try to find "the feel" for it, and... it's growing on me, but FS17 still has the upper hand - by far!

It's almost to the point, where I'm thinking of trying out modding myself, since the game isn't as fun as it should be...
pingu

Post by pingu »

The world of gaming has changed a lot. You just have to go back 15 years. Some people played computer games. The more serious gamer were on Windows-machines they built themselves, and the rest played on consoles. Enter mobile devices (basically iPhone/iPad). Nowadays everyone growing up play computer games. Mostly on mobile devices, and then some of the more dedicated also have a console. I don't not know any teen (no matter how hooked to gaming they are) that even think of buying a proper computer (desktop/laptop, or mac/win/linux) to play games. If they can play Fortnite on that 5 year old hand-me-down equipment from their parents, that's enough for them. They don't even know what a graphics card is.

And they play so different from how I grow up to play more advanced computer games. It's 20 minutes of something, and then they just change to something else. The idea of playing FS for hours and hours to get 'money' to 'buy' that big cool tractor is just annoying to them. They want it *now*, otherwise they get tired and play something else. Every teen I have seen the last few years playing FS treats it like a machine sandbox. And as with every other game they start to play, the most important question is how they can cheat to (in the case of FS) get more money to do what they want *now*. Sure there are people all ages that treat non-FPS games like FS as a serious game, and play it according to the games overall idea. But it seems they get fewer and fewer in number.

Having a dedicated big iMac with an optimized system stripped of all unnecessary stuff; sitting on its own desk with custom-built small shelfs for more ergonomic access to my gaming controllers; having steering wheel, joysticks, programmable devices, etc. that I spent hours on planning what function goes on which button; playing 2-3 times a week and then playing for 2 hours at a time... I feel like an artifact that belongs in a museum. So in the end I'm not that surprised at how FS19 turned out. Tease it, talk about new brand names, bring out some new shiny graphics... The 'new' is enough for the big majority of casual (console) gamers to buy it right away, and in the end it brings enough money to the developers. But I'm still sad about it.

The question is if there is a market for a 'pro version' of FS for macOS/Win that differs from the rest. That target the really serious players than are willing to pay 5x more for the game itself, and the modders that want to develop without support for consoles. A version with a totally different release schedule and development cycle, maybe even another typ of support for mods. A version that is developed more in cooperation with the players. Probably not.

The 'feel' of FS17 is interesting. I see screenshots of FS19 everyday, and something is not right to me. Always this extremely bright and faded 'mid-day somewhere along the equator' environment, and still the colors of the nature seems over-saturated in a cartoonish way. The machinery looks like they are photoshopped on a background. In FS17, the vehicle and the surroundings kind of have a similar feel to them and they blend together; in FS19 they differ in style too much for me. I have seen many screenshots where the vehicles seems like they are not touching the ground. Maybe due to players playing with really low settings? And the textures and things in the distant (trees, etc.) looks better in FS17.

And don't get me started with the HUD. I would so much prefer a HUD with just a top and bottom "menu bar" with all symbols and text info. I wonder if that is possible to change in FS17.
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
TitaniumGearbox

Post by TitaniumGearbox »

BulletBill wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:10 pm It seems daft how many of us are saying how many aspects of FS17 we would like in FS19.

Each new title of the game there have always been 1 or 2 default aspects of the base game that we miss. (Like the FS13 milk tanker that drove to your farm to collect the milk, or AI traffic you could pick up with a telehandler and place on a mountaintop and watch them try and make there way back)

But pretty much 90% we were happy enough with the base game and looked forward to mods to increase our enjoyment.

But with FS19 it is not just 1 or 2 aspects, it is many we are preferring still from FS17. On top of that because FS19 was rushed out too early it has the typical bugs and issues that sort of game has.

It's any bodies guess how long or if ever we get the FS19 we should have, and by that I mean a general improvement in all areas and stable.

So as to fit in I shall now call myself "Troll BB"...

:biggrin2: :lol:
Up with the mood "BB" (: we still have FS17 to play with (: especially because you and others have made the game versatile and quite entertaining. (:
When people come to money they get new interests and some have also had children / family and other goals in life (: therefore things will always change in life and we who are fan of FS games must remember that we are not guaranteed a bright future for FS games but we can hope there are others who are in the process of creating a farm game that beats everyone else in the field of realism and game content (:
I don't mind they make a lot of money, but I'm always worried when it turns into money grabbing especially because there are kids involved. ):
BB your name is remembered and your effort for FS17 has been a pleasure on equal terms with others who have created a good playing environment for all FS players thanks for the effort your work has often brought my smile forward and given many hours of top-class entertainment. (:
pingu

Post by pingu »

BTW, I have a question about the FS17 modhub... Is it still 'open' for modders to publish new mods on?
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

pingu wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:46 pm BTW, I have a question about the FS17 modhub... Is it still 'open' for modders to publish new mods on?
No I believe they will not test or release any FS17 mods now on Modhub.

That would be like GIANTS admitting FS19 isn't as good as they keep making out.
sootysax

Post by sootysax »

Imagine if Giants just kept improving the base game instead of abandoning it every two years? That would allow modders to keep improving and tweaking mods.. it would be incredible what would be available.

These are my hopes for Cattle and Crops honestly...

EDIT HA!! I didn't type Command & Conquer... the forum edited my reference to the competing farm sim.. hilarious
ltl.vamp

Post by ltl.vamp »

The latest mod for FS17 is dated 01/04/2018, so they still test mods. It's more about are there still modders working for FS17 or failed the latest mods or on what position they are in testing. There are many mods for FS19 and all together have to be tested and have to pass the Tests. That takes time.
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

How would they make any money if they didn't re-sell the game every two years?
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
pingu

Post by pingu »

thumbwiz wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm How would they make any money if they didn't re-sell the game every two years?
Doing what I think soon will be the norm for everything in gaming: subscriptions.
Lindydanny

Post by Lindydanny »

RODHA wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 am Like those visual improvements. I mean they sacrificied so much to just make things look better. But we needed a game that works for our joy not just looks better.
I think this hits the nail on the head. Once I saw all the clambering in the wishlist threads for graphic improvements I knew we were heading for potato country. The visuals of 17 and 15 could have used tweeting, but the overhaul that we got at the expense of performance and gameplay is not worth it.

I really hope that misdeed keep submitting stuff for FS17 to MOD Hub. Sort of a quiet protest of 19.