Yield Question

Husqvarna TS 352

Yield Question

Post by Husqvarna TS 352 »

I was just wondering does Wheat yield less than Barley? I know in real life Wheat yields more than Barley (Prett sure?) and in 17 it definitley did. But it seems to be the other way round in 19. Is this true?
G'day
Beastbubba

Re: Yield Question

Post by Beastbubba »

Wheat Yields .89 perSqm
Barley Yields: .96 perSqm

So yes. But straw is the same for all 3 (wheat, barley, and oat)
PC gamer.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Husqvarna TS 352 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 am I was just wondering does Wheat yield less than Barley? I know in real life Wheat yields more than Barley (Prett sure?) and in 17 it definitley did. But it seems to be the other way round in 19. Is this true?
In real life, on the average, barley outyields wheat, both by mass and by volume. Oats are the highest yielding by volume (and sometimes by mass, but not usually) of the three.

In 17 I am pretty sure barley outyielded wheat, which was a realistic representation.
FarmerJeff

Post by FarmerJeff »

Barley passed Wheat in yield in FS17, I believe. In 13 and 15, Wheat yielded 24k per hectare and Barley 22k. Wheat received correspondingly higher prices in 17, so the revenue for each is about the same overall.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Crop yield in real life and in FS are two entirely different things. Here are some real life statistics from USDA and Eurostat:

Wheat : 3514 kg/ha in US, 5388 kg/ha in EU
Barley : 3694 kg/ha in US, 4731 kg/ha in EU
Oat : 2394 kg/ha in US, 3481 kg/ha in EU

These numbers are averaged over 4 years in US and 8 years in EU.

US do better than EU for soybeans, corn/maize, and potato.

What crop yields most vary from country to country and from region to region in the US. Oat yield is usually less than wheat and barley, but not in some agricultural regions in the US: Mountain, Northwest, Pacific.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
allstops

Post by allstops »

I posted a spreadsheet calculator based on some testing I did on this post:

viewtopic.php?f=963&t=138755

Down the list a bit theSeb posted a a cut from the game script that shows yields for each crop type (rendering my entire test nearly pointless). Someone also made a website that has a calculator online (I can't find the post thread, but it was posted in this forum), available at:

https://farmsimhobby.com/index.php/test-calculator/

The main difference between his and mine is that his is much slicker, but if you have Excel you can use mine and see what yield would be on any field of the two base game maps (assuming the fields are unaltered).
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

kahfs wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 am Crop yield in real life and in FS are two entirely different things. Here are some real life statistics from USDA and Eurostat:

What crop yields most vary from country to country and from region to region in the US. Oat yield is usually less than wheat and barley, but not in some agricultural regions in the US: Mountain, Northwest, Pacific.
Excellent info kahfs. Thanks for finding that.

To confuse the point further :biggrin2: , one notes that the yields you reported are in mass (kg) whereas the game measures in volume (L), and each of the three crops has a different density (or bushelweight, in farmer-talk), so the highest yielding crop by mass is not necessarily the highest yielding by volume, and vice versa.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

DirectCedar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 pm
kahfs wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 am Crop yield in real life and in FS are two entirely different things. Here are some real life statistics from USDA and Eurostat:

To confuse the point further :biggrin2: , one notes that the yields you reported are in mass (kg) whereas the game measures in volume (L), and each of the three crops has a different density (or bushelweight, in farmer-talk), so the highest yielding crop by mass is not necessarily the highest yielding by volume, and vice versa.
Yes, crop density (mass per volume) varies significantly. One can Google these values in many places. The values I use are from : The agricultural service of the province of Alberta, Canada. Seemed like a reliable source to me.

Wheat: 0.772 kg/Liter
Barley: 0.618 kg/Liter
Oat: 0.438 kg/Liter

Dividing these densities into yield by mass we get the yield by volume:

Wheat : 4552 L/ha in US, 6979 L/ha in EU
Barley : 5977 L/ha in US, 7654 L/ha in EU
Oat : 5466 L/ha in US, 7947 L/ha in EU

So, as DirectCedar points out, the rank of volume yields is different from mass yield.
FS19 has a somewhat higher yield and it depends on how well you prepare and manage your field and what economic difficulty level you play at.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Sgt_UberGrunt

Post by Sgt_UberGrunt »

kahfs wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:36 pm
DirectCedar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Yes, crop density (mass per volume) varies significantly. One can Google these values in many places. The values I use are from : The agricultural service of the province of Alberta, Canada. Seemed like a reliable source to me.

Wheat: 0.772 kg/Liter
Barley: 0.618 kg/Liter
Oat: 0.438 kg/Liter

Dividing these densities into yield by mass we get the yield by volume:

Wheat : 4552 L/ha in US, 6979 L/ha in EU
Barley : 5977 L/ha in US, 7654 L/ha in EU
Oat : 5466 L/ha in US, 7947 L/ha in EU

So, as DirectCedar points out, the rank of volume yields is different from mass yield.
FS19 has a somewhat higher yield and it depends on how well you prepare and manage your field and what economic difficulty level you play at.
As a Farmer from Alberta Canada, I can confirm that the bushel yield is much higher for barley in most cases, sometimes even the mass yield. However the overall statistics are misleading as barley tends to be planted more often in shitty soils (sandy/low organic matter/rocky etc) as it tends to fare better than wheat in those conditions. In good black soil 110-170bu.ac is quite common, whereas wheat is more 80-120bu.ac
For those who dont know what a bushel is the tank on the S790 holds 400bu while the CR1090/AFX9240 hold 410bu. The new IDEAL 9T holds 485bushels.
Also density can vary significantly
wheat can be between 59-67pounds per bushel
barley commonly is between 48-54 pounds per bushel
common trading weights are 60pounds/bushel for wheat, 48pounds per bushel for barley, 50 pounds per bushel for canola, 60 pounds for peas and soybean, 56pounds per bushel for corn, and 38pounds per bushel for oat.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

A bushel of oats is 34lb. Just nitpicking :biggrin2:
Sgt_UberGrunt

Post by Sgt_UberGrunt »

DirectCedar wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 am A bushel of oats is 34lb. Just nitpicking :biggrin2:
Actually according to Michigan state University its 32lbs, but an imperial bushel being 34 sounds about right. thanks for the correction, i havent done oats in bushels in years, not much money to be made here in oats. In Australia i did get to harvest some 5,5t/ha (150+bu/ac) oats at like 45tonne/hr with a Case 8240. That was a rediculous amount of grain, filling the harvester every 7minutes or so.