Helping Giants to Improve Farming Simulator 19! Things I like in FS19 / Things I dislike in FS19

GTSilverado

Helping Giants to Improve Farming Simulator 19! Things I like in FS19 / Things I dislike in FS19

Post by GTSilverado »

Hey everybody I am new to the forum and I want to try and help Giants to improve on FS19 by starting a topic of things that are liked and disliked about the game. It has been said by Giants employees that criticism good and bad is read and appreciated. Please try and keep this on topic and productive.

Liked

1. Terra forming / Place-able system - still needs a little work
2. Buying Land
3. Missions System - still needs a little work
4. New Equipment - John Deere, New Semi Trucks, Wilson Trailers, Fork Lift, Cotton Harvesters, UTVs
5. New Animals - Horse, Dog and birds
6. New Crops - Oats and Cotton
7. New Chrome and Stainless Steel textures
8. Maintenance System - still needs a little work
9. Being able to sleep till desired time
10. Able to view equipment in store menu before purchase
11. Mods

Disliked

1.Terra forming / Place-able not reversible
2. Game Crashing when viewing helpers and placing objects
3. Mission System could use a little more variety - Farmers buying and selling bales and animal feed.
4. Red Barn in trailer not usable - need more useful place-able
5. Need a more American style Pickup trucks like what was in trailer, service vehicle for repairs
6. Really could use larger flatbed style trailer for pickup for hauling pallets and bales.
7. Maintenance System - equipment wears out too fast, system could be divided into Body, Engine and Tire categories
8. Tractor Engine and Horn sounds need work
9. City towns seem dead hardly any people walking around
10. Trains going too fast thru towns - maybe an option to stop train at station and stay stopped till started back up
11. Some equipment using way to many slots
12. Log tools needs more gripping force

Please feel free to add your likes and dislikes.
GTSilverado

Re: Helping Giants to Improve Farming Simulator 19! Things I like in FS19 / Things I dislike in FS19

Post by GTSilverado »

Wow this post is not as popular as I thought it would be. :hmm:
ilovetrains

Re: Helping Giants to Improve Farming Simulator 19! Things I like in FS19 / Things I dislike in FS19

Post by ilovetrains »

I think you have started an excellent topic, but I also believe too many people are entrenched in opinion to offer constructive comments.

I will try...without repeating what was said...
I LIKE - most of the new graphics, animations etc., BUT it tends to make some of the old graphics (ie fill-planes in the trailers) look bad by comparison, ground textures look poor, etc.
I LIKE - landscaping, BUT it really needs a back tool, something that removes the last move, etc.
I LIKE the updated mission system, BUT the hired helpers feel to have taken a step backward
sittinhere

Post by sittinhere »

What I would like to see with the terraforming I’d revert back to a previous state. Also with placeables, more American style barns, silos, fert tanks and the like.
GTSilverado

Post by GTSilverado »

Thank you for your reply!
GTSilverado

Post by GTSilverado »

@ilovetrains @sittinghere I agree with the terraforming back tool and more american style placeables
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

All great and valid points guys and also what I think (opinion warning) would help with the terraforming is having it set up to where you can move and change the terrain as you need and then see how much it will cost so you know how much you’ll need to do what you want to change, the revert back id also something I would agree with and would help me fix the massive mess I made on my test map when experimenting with the terraforming tool, the workers I thought were actually very much improved for field work compared to 15 and 17 they’ve at least got some better experience on working on the farm now I guess but I will add there is always room for improvement in the category
GTSilverado

Post by GTSilverado »

I agree with looking at cost before changing terra in would help alot and I also think that the workers have improved alot.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

I would offer that the lower-than-expected popularity could be due to the presence of multiple threads addressing the same topics/issues - a.k.a. "nothing new here". As well, your thread title is somewhat pretentious (and it is the first thing people see). Given that this forum is filled with others claiming they have the "solution" to fix FS19, it is understandable why many probably skimmed right past without clicking on it.

Sure, you've aggregated multiple items into one thread, and have attempted to be more objective. However, the fact that your lists contain several symmetrical (yet unbalanced) items detracts from the overall benefit for me personally. For example,
Liked
1. Terra forming / Place-able system - still needs a little work
and
Disliked
1.Terra forming / Place-able not reversible
You indicate that you "like" Terra Forming, and then allude that it "still needs a little work", but then mention you "dislike" the very same feature because "place-able not reversible". You do the same thing with the Mission and Maintenance Systems. Yes, you can like aspects of elements, but what you did not do here was balance the critique. If you are going to explicitly list a pro, then you should do so with a con as well (comparative analysis).

You should also endeavour to understand technical limitations. The number of slots required by any given object is proportional to the level of detail/functionality resident within. You want a high-definition visual model with intricate details and multiple textures/layers? It comes at the cost of slots... Compromises are required, and in these instances, Giants has opted to focus on higher-quality in-game elements over slot conservation.

Finally, when adding recommendations for new additions (trucks, tractors, crops, etc...), explicitly stating the benefit you expect it to bring to the game for the average user (not just yourself) goes a long way. Not everyone wants 10 different trucks, with very little other than appearance (yes, this includes branding) differentiating them, when the resources required to add those could be applied adding something more unique/filling capability gaps (like a new style of harvester, or filling a gap in size for implements), which tend to be better received by the wider audience (more meaningful additions). The slew of requests/demands for "need Chevy/Ford/GMC..." are for something that doesn't actually add anything to the game, other than what is effectively a different graphical representation of the existing in-game functionality. A pick-up truck is, and always will be, a pick-up truck.

Again, good intentions and good effort.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

• General game play loop - till, plant, harvest, sell
  • Contracts to try stuff out - only way to try out new equipment without being killed on cost
  • Land purchase system
  • Diversity of equipment, crops and farming styles
  • No crashes or game breaking bugs yet. I can't believe this is a like, but in this day and age, it is.
Dislikes
  • Communications are lacking. The game has been out 2 months, patched twice and no communications have come out about what is being worked on nor when the next patch might happen. The bug forum did get a post that basically said "we don't have any resources, sorry".
  • The economy doesn't seem to account for placables nor landscaping as far as I'm concerned, so "building a farm" costs tons of money for stuff that is purely cosmetic. If I have my equipment under a shed or out in the open, there is no difference as far as game mechanics are concerned, so by placing the shed it is purely cosmetic and basically wasting money. In order to increase one's loan, the play must pay a "placable tax" to get the loan to increase even though the core game placables rarely add any gameplay advantage.
  • The helper AI is pathetic and has issues that a freshman ComSci student could figure out. In addition, there are tons of structures in the game that basically serve no purpose other than to get in the way and there is no way to remove them (guardrails, houses, sheds, hunting stands, trash). The AI should not miss small portions because it stops 1m short, yet starts the next pass correctly after turning around (see bug report)
  • The fact that grass textures don't grow grass unless a very specific process (plow, seed, roll, don't touch) is followed is mind boggling. If I plow and seed an area with grass, but apply the texture with the texture tool instead of the roller, no grass. If I flatten or smooth areas that currently grow grass, no grass. If I place a building, the area around the building will not grow grass.
  • Myriad of design choices with the models such as: narrow duals only on large Case IH tractors, banded duals over hub mounted duals, engine sounds, no flatbed trailer for semis, 3 separate entries for road tractor trailer instead of 1 with 3 engine and 3 cab options, no large planter (should be fixed soon), no large lime spreader, no consumable silos. Most of this stuff can be fixed with mods/xml edits, but it is still really annoying.
  • Forestry ...tedious at best
GTSilverado

Post by GTSilverado »

Ok @cmdrbyron I asked for productive comments on this topic. You are picking apart my opinions is not productive one bit.
Last edited by GTSilverado on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

The ability to remove objects from the map that were not put there by the player. For example, junk, other farm houses garages and so on. Not only would this allow players to build the farm they want, it may also increase the number of available slots for console by removing objects from active memory.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
GTSilverado

Post by GTSilverado »

@bossmanslim and @thumb wiz thank you for your comments
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

cmdrbyron wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 pm Again, good intentions and good effort.
I believe you have an extra word in your reply.
"Again" would imply you are stating something again.
However, good intentions and good effort.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
mikejl46

Post by mikejl46 »

I agree , need better grip on the log loading machine, I mean the Ponsse Scorpion can hang onto a whole tree for dear life. Why cant the grapple hang on to 3 short logs.