A simulator? No, just a game.

gile

A simulator? No, just a game.

Post by gile »

I am not a farmer, but I live practicaly surrounded by farms. So I help out the farmers living arround me, working on fields and transporting various crops up an down. Afcourse, with tractors, mostly JD, Steyr and Fendt. I dont have to do it, but I have some free time now and then and its just great fun to drive tractors. Although I help out the farmers, who actally never have any time, I dont expect any payment. The fun of driving those machines is payment enough.
I have a son, he often comes with me. Its just great fun for both of us.

So last year, we came across FS 17. Soon I had it haviliy modded with realisting mods: seasons, MR and the most important for me: Gearbox addon. Others as well, but these are the most important, as they really add the "simulator" to the game. I usualy play together with my son. Again, great fun for both of us.

At the announcement of FS19, my kid couldnt wait to get it. He turned 8 two weeks ago. I got him a hard copy of FS19 for his birthday. You can imagine, I was the best dad in the world. We instaled the game, and after only a few minutes of playing, my son shouted out:" WHAT IS THIS? THESE TRACTORS DONT DRIVE LIKE REAL TRACTORS, MORE LIKE RACE CARS!!

Now, I see great potencial in FS19. It really has some good things going on. But beeing a simulator? Its just not. And having a word "farming" in it? We all expect to "drive" simulated "farming" machinery. Its what simulators do. They simulate!!

I could have posted this in a number of ranting topics here. But I really wanted to make a new one. Perhaps this way, someone at Giants will here us.

Becouse, when an 8 year old kid, who has never driven a tractor, is dissapointed at FS19 being a game, not a simulator, then you know someone is doing somethin wrong.
BulletBill

Re: A simulator? No, just a game.

Post by BulletBill »

Myself and many others completely agree with you. The physics in Farm Sim are pretty poor by any games standards now.

Sadly It seems GIANTS think that the slightest bit of realism these days will somehow damage there game, that they must keep it as arcade as possible to cater for that end of the player market. Even if it means losing the the simulation player at the other end. However pointed out by yourself if your 8 year old son can tell that and is disappointed I wonder how many of the total playerbase are the same.

Maybe they don't have the skill, or maybe they don't have the resources to make the game more realistic while enabling switches so that the players who want less realism can turn them off. Or maybe they have stopped caring about the product they are making and are just happy it still sells so well despite its poor simulation attempt.
Sir Ironoak

Post by Sir Ironoak »

I completely agree as well!

For me, this is the biggest setback in FS19 of them all!
I am still on 17, but even starting to look for other farmsimulators! :O
pingu

Post by pingu »

I wonder if these issues with simulation of equipment and the weird sound is due to requirements from the brands? That every tractor, combine, et. must be 'easy' to drive to give the brand name a nice cozy feeling that impress casual gamers. That the low volume and almost electric-motor-like sound of tractors is to give an impression of beeing environmentally friendly, so that some people are not offended. Tractors in the game should sound like real tractors. Loud and massive, motors working hard when towing heavy stuff or going uphill, black smoke when starting up, etc. They should break down every now and then, and so on. Maybe companies are afraid of too much realism. I know that companies can be really out of touch with reality when it comes to things like this.
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

gile wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am 1. At the announcement of FS19, my kid couldnt wait to get it. He turned 8 two weeks ago. I got him a hard copy of FS19 for his birthday. You can imagine, I was the best dad in the world. We instaled the game, and after only a few minutes of playing, my son shouted out:" WHAT IS THIS? THESE TRACTORS DONT DRIVE LIKE REAL TRACTORS, MORE LIKE RACE CARS!!

2. I could have posted this in a number of ranting topics here. But I really wanted to make a new one. Perhaps this way, someone at Giants will here us.

3. Becouse, when an 8 year old kid, who has never driven a tractor, is dissapointed at FS19 being a game, not a simulator, then you know someone is doing somethin wrong.
Answers:
1. You should try to give your son to try unmodded FS17 or any other tractor driving game. I want to hear FS19 comparison then.
Be happy that modders tried to make the FS17 to tractor simulator instead of Farming Simulator.

2. Giants most likely does not hear us, because they are lack of workforce at the moment to read the English forums, most likely this rant topic will be only seen by other players and soon will be forgotten like any other rant topic what is made here everyday.

3. I agree FS19 is not simulation game. But none of the Farming games are. Maybe the Cattle And Crops will be most simulation game one day, if it is ever gets done.
Last edited by IceUul on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Most mordern tractors have new engine setups which they must abide to for emissions and noise. It's laws and regulations
pingu

Post by pingu »

I see/hear tractors (and other similar type of heavy equipment) almost every day, either going down a road or working. Equipment from Valtra, Fendt, New Holland, Huddig, Kubota, Rottne, Komatsu... Both older and brand new ones. With engines from AGCO, Cummings, Volvo... Trust me, despite meeting the current regulations from EU/EPA they still sound and smell like diesel engines -- not like electric lawn movers.
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

pingu wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm I wonder if these issues with simulation of equipment and the weird sound is due to requirements from the brands? That every tractor, combine, et. must be 'easy' to drive to give the brand name a nice cozy feeling that impress casual gamers. That the low volume and almost electric-motor-like sound of tractors is to give an impression of beeing environmentally friendly, so that some people are not offended. Tractors in the game should sound like real tractors. Loud and massive, motors working hard when towing heavy stuff or going uphill, black smoke when starting up, etc. They should break down every now and then, and so on. Maybe companies are afraid of too much realism. I know that companies can be really out of touch with reality when it comes to things like this.
Yes, the "wierd" sound is requirement by the brand. Because it is how they sound in real life. I mean the new tractors.
The new tractors does not sound like old ones, like new cars you can see on the street does not sound like old cars.
I agree that sound is a bit wrong, they are missing the low frequency inside the tractor, they should fix that part if possible. Might be not possible because of the sounds are previously recorded and they missed out the low frequency volume. To get things better i suggest turning your speakers volume up, vehicle volume up and all other volumes to 20-30% inside the game.

And engine sound will be different if you go uphill or have heavy load back of your machine.

For comparison, use the ingame JD 6250R and check this video out, starting from minute 3:00, sounds pretty much like same to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVg2bwO4W_Y
Matt_S

Post by Matt_S »

I think the example of the tractor sounds is just one example of many that we could choose from to show how unrealistic the game does feel. And yes, this is a massive improvement on FS17 (the base game without mods), but the vast majority expected more.

The sound of a new tractor is different to old tractors YES, but if we are going to go down that road.... new tractors have reversing camera's and GPS in them.... FS19 doesn't bring us that! lol

I think the OP has put this very well, it's not a rant, it's his opinion, and that opinion echo's for a LOT of players.

GIANTS have done well, they have created a better game than the previous version (if you take mods out of the equation), so all we can really do is wait for the magical, majestic, modders to make this game into the one so many of us want it to be. It will happen, but patience is required i guess.

We can moan and groan about GIANTS as much as we like, but with no competition... this won't change. Let us just be thankful that they support our modding community with what they need to make this game great!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I honestly think that the physics are much better then before. But we really need seasons to make the game good, I'm surprised that Giants didn't put it in the base game.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Shuffy

Post by Shuffy »

games loads better physics wise than fs17 everyone who is still playing fs17 needs to wake up ... old game now
pingu

Post by pingu »

Shuffy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm games loads better physics wise than fs17 everyone who is still playing fs17 needs to wake up ... old game now
What *you* think may not be what *others* needs to think.

Old = bad? New always better than old? FS17 doesn't feel old to me. I think certain maps on FS17 looks better than FS19. And I know FS17 is a game with more realism.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

redglasses wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm I honestly think that the physics are much better then before. But we really need seasons to make the game good, I'm surprised that Giants didn't put it in the base game.
Maybe Realism Modding didn’t want giants to do it :hmm: I’ve been wondering why it wasn’t in the base game and that’s what I was thinking. Maybe Realism wanted to develop it themselves to make it exactly the way they wanted it
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

They call it a simulation but it is nothing of the sort. First off there are seasons in real life, but not here. That is the number one turnoff for me. Second, field sizes, road widths I can go on and on, none of it is realistic like a simulator should be. There are so many other variables that farmers deal with but not in game. A more fitting name for this would be farm equipment driver, it really doesn't simulate much to real life.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

There is also a good possibility we will not see the gear box or MR mods as we knew them in FS17. Those mods with seasons made the game more simulation.