A Story of GIANTS and Hello Games

adammac5858

A Story of GIANTS and Hello Games

Post by adammac5858 »

Before I begin, let me tell you a little about me and gaming. I am an AVID console gamer. I have a PC, but it will only play Red Alert 2 because it is an old school All-In-One lol. So I play on my Xbox 1 and PS4 pretty much all the time. Hello Games is a developer much like GIANTS, small. Smaller, actually. I wanna say they have like 4 employees.....or did. Has anyone ever heard of a game called "No Mans Sky"? It is a space exploration procedurally generated universe style game that you explore, alone or with friends, developed by Hello Games. 18 quintillion planets, can't explore all of them in 1 lifetime even if you could visit a planet every second; which you cannot. When this game was released it was broken, unenjoyable, and literally unplayable. It stayed like this for months. Let us pause there for a second. Jump to 2018 and Bethesda studios. The release of Fallout 76. Again, broken, unplayable, and very much unenjoyable. Online only style, huge change for Bethesda. Both studios, much like GIANTS, experienced backlash at and after launch due to unfinished games. Admittedly, Bethesda and Hello games had a much larger backlash and even faced legal suits in court.

I only bring this up to make a important point many have overlooked while "discussing this games bugs in a mature manner". :zunge: Fallout 76 and No Mans Sky are both great games now, imho. No Mans Sky has soaked up over 70 hours game time for me on one save alone. Fallout has received praise currently. (Personally 76 isn't my flavor, FO4 is!) Yes, GIANTS rushed a game, yes they need to fix it. And it WILL get fixed. Hello games, after many many months of backlash, finally released an update called NEXT. It made the game everything they promised it to be at launch. Sales skyrocketed on Steam, PS and Microsoft Store. This is the reason for the 70 hour game file lol!! FS19 will be fixed. Bethesda fixed their game in 3 weeks roughly. Hello Games took like 8 months, but again, had 4 employees. Yes, you payed good money for this game. SO DID I. So did the modders, and almost everyone on here. People have filed suits, asked for refunds, and burned copies of games in the past. I agree with everything but the game burning. (I mean come on, $60 for most AAA titles. Why you crying about paying $60 for a broken game just to burn it lol?) Stop with the hate, listen to peoples complaints but stop the attacks. Yes GIANTS needs to fix it. Yes people need to be more patient. This is just how it is now, gamers are testers no matter how you feel. I love you GIANTS, I love you modders, (Especially the modder who made the Lizard dually for consoles on FS17.) and yes; I even love you PC players with all your mods! :biggrin2: Keep Farmin and Plough On!
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.
Jämtvargen

Re: A Story of GIANTS and Hello Games

Post by Jämtvargen »

Although I agree with stoping the hate and focusing on constructive criticism. I am NEVER going to be okay paying for a game that is unfinished, ESPECIALLY by a company like Bethesda or EA!
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Can't compare Hello Games. They are innovative, and their (free) updates include huge game play functionality, not just objects. They don't rely on players to add content to make their game have a longer shelf life.
Hello Games is much smaller and less experienced as a company. And so far they haven't repeated the same mistakes release after release.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

The comparison doesn't really work between Hello Games and Giants.

Hello Games launched a new game, both IP and what the game was, and massively over promised, failing to deliver on what they promised. No Man's Sky is also a full priced game and it has taken them about 2 years to finally fix the game. Hello Games bit off more than it could chew, charged full price and got slammed for it.

Farm Sim 19 is the 7th edition of Farm Sim, not a new IP, not a new game style and most importantly, Giants already had feedback from the community on what was/is needed to improve the game. Farm Sim is not a full price game, which is and isn't an excuse at the same time. Farm Sim 19 has some bugs and balance issues, but overall it works fairly well for the most part and I think most people can get hours and hours of enjoyment out of it. Giants put out something with a bunch of bugs and should have known better, especially since this is V7 of the game; however, the game is in a better state than No Man's Sky was at release.

FO76 is a straight up money grab that fell on its face; good job on sinking to EAs level Bethesda.
Psychohate

Post by Psychohate »

Also Bethesda or No Man's Sky aren't on 2 year rotations as FS is. Yeah it will be a good game in time, then we start over with FS21, unless things change. No comparison in my opinion.
New farmer mode always
Xbox Series x/..... Being kind don't cost a dime
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

I'd say FO76 isn't the only money grab. Regular releases with little change at full price is also a money grab.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
crash

Post by crash »

I played the **** out of fo4, isent touching fo76. Had it on preorderd at game stop. The 5euros I payed are still at game stop....
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

bossmanslim wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:26 pmFarm Sim 19 is the 7th edition of Farm Sim, not a new IP, not a new game style and most importantly, Giants already had feedback from the community on what was/is needed to improve the game.
Spot on *thumbsup*
I can’t think of a better and simpler analysis :hi:
PS5 / FS22
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Hey bossmanslim im not sure i understand farm sim is not a full price game. I think at 49.95 its a full price game. And if giants is going to charge aaa price i should get a aaa game that is bug free.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

Princeguardian wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:27 pm Hey bossmanslim im not sure i understand farm sim is not a full price game. I think at 49.95 its a full price game. And if giants is going to charge aaa price i should get a aaa game that is bug free.
Farm Sim 19 was $35 on Steam upon release.
Most AAA games are $60, so FS19 is $25 cheaper.
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Gotcha. Thanks. I bought first on xbox for son and it was the 49.95 which is full price standard edition. I later bought off steam for me but most pc games run cheaper than the console counterpart. I feel bad that i didn't get the season pass on xbox because it was in range $80. The season pass was more this time around than in 2017. Its been the first time giants has had a season pass that i didn't get. I couldn't justify paying the full deal for a game with bugs. Had it released in decent shape maybe but that why i am of thinking of wanting aaa price for a buggy game doesn't seem worth it.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Doesn't matter what the price was. It was sold and released as a finished product that clearly wasn't, even by their own admission after the fact.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

I played 17 the day of launch and never had any game breaking problems from the start, 19 had things I had wanted to come to fs19 and landscaping which came later, I do think that 19 was rushed because landscaping (which was a toted feature) wasn’t in base game and personally, this is opinion mind you, I think it should’ve been in base game, don’t get me wrong I appreciate giants not wanting to put something in their games unless it’s to their standards which have usually been very good but since it was a toted feature like I said I believe they should’ve delayed the game and it had for more bugs that I encountered at launch than 17 did which leads me toward the opinion that 19 should have released later, granted this is an opinion not facts by any stretch, I love farm sim and what giants has done so far keep up the good work and happy farming guys